Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire your faith and patience. I lack both in this instance.

(I thought I’d get you to bite at the Brayden Sier reference. You showed great restraint in not taking that bait!)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think I like to be cup half full type person, so that's how I'll always view players and life in general.

heh Sier yes. Poor fellow. Had all the talent, but not the hunger or workrate we wish he had. Seems to be happy playing footy for fun these days.

Anyway its game day! Lets hope the boys perform well and get a win over those baggers. If not.. never fear, always next week, even if we have to put up with those blues fans. Also, good thing we play them twice this year. If we don't get them this time, there is always next time.

Needs to spend next summer in the gym. While he is stronger than he was, he'll need to continue to build that physical maturity. His hands are elite. He can cover a lot more ground than he used to, his running capacity and endurance is as good as anyone's. He's good on the inside, really good on the outside as a reciever. There is a lot to like.

I still have faith he can become a good solid player. More so his time will come next year when he should be looking to be a regular.
So Jen,
Between years 4 and 5 in the Gym he’ll become a beast? Yeah?
Because years 1-3 he was building towards beast mode?

……I love your positivity and optimism. I’m not quite in the same space.

So Jen,
Between years 4 and 5 in the Gym he’ll become a beast? Yeah?
Because years 1-3 he was building towards beast mode?

……I love your positivity and optimism. I’m not quite in the same space.
Like you I don’t share the optimism and fervour of the Macrae fanatics, but I was optimistic coming out of pre season because I thought he’d added a layer to his game we hadn’t seen before, running power.

He was bursting from the front of stoppage and driving with his legs like we hadn’t seen before. Remember that possession chain in the intraclub? Or the goal v North? The thing is we haven’t really seen it since February and that stuff was like trying to buy a car with Monopoly money it’s not real because everyone’s going through the motions ahead of Rd 1.

My advice would be to forget trying to build his body up to be some sort of stoppage beast and to utilise his strengths, cleanliness and reading the play, but also add a point of difference in his running power. Swanny didn’t establish himself as a mid until year 6 and whilst Macrae won’t reach those heights he at least shares traits minus the running power which Swanny took time to develop.

So his only deficiencies is lack of positional flexibility - that’s hardly a reason to wipe him as a prospect, given his age.
Have you thought about what stops him having positional flexibility?

Personally, I think he should be spending plenty of time on a wing as his other role.

Sullivan prob would fare better against the bigger bodies of the blues mids.
Next week v eagles on the other hand, I think would be the best game for fin.
Fit Yeo and Kelly plus Reid aren't much smaller or worse than carlscum's mids.

Have you thought about what stops him having positional flexibility?

Personally, I think he should be spending plenty of time on a wing as his other role.
I often struggle to understand why people can’t put two and two together on why a guy like WHE is basically a lock week in week out whilst Macrae can’t get a look in. At Collingwood in 2024 to play senior football unless you are absolutely top drawer in a role you must be able to either run really fast or really far (preferably both).

The perfect example is Ginnivan. At Collingwood he was locked in as a small forward because he can’t get up and back like others in the 23, but the standard is different at Hawthorn (not suggesting it’s worse necessarily) which allows him to play a role up the field. It’s timely that Adams comments have surfaced because I think he’d have pushed past Mitchell because of the planta injury. He was a deceptively good runner with those short steps.

I often struggle to understand why people can’t put two and two together on why a guy like WHE is basically a lock week in week out whilst Macrae can’t get a look in. At Collingwood in 2024 to play senior football unless you are absolutely top drawer in a role you must be able to either run really fast or really far (preferably both).

The perfect example is Ginnivan. At Collingwood he was locked in as a small forward because he can’t get up and back like others in the 23, but the standard is different at Hawthorn (not suggesting it’s worse necessarily) which allows him to play a role up the field.
I think you could suggest that without too much opposition

Sorry for the intrusion,

Just want to say thankyou for for Mark Keane... :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Thought long and hard about reciprocating and then it dawned on me

Thank you for Snowtown

I think you could suggest that without too much opposition
Look I may have been trying to be diplomatic towards the Macrae bandwagon, but yeah it’s worse. If you want to give guys that aren’t ready for a certain role in our best 23 a shot then expect the type of results Hawthorn are getting across the season…

Look I may have been trying to be diplomatic towards the Macrae bandwagon, but yeah it’s worse. If you want to give guys that aren’t ready for a certain role in our best 23 a shot then expect the type of results Hawthorn are getting across the season…
I was hopeful about him preseason, but don't think he'll contribute this year unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The perfect example is Ginnivan. At Collingwood he was locked in as a small forward because he can’t get up and back like others in the 23, but the standard is different at Hawthorn (not suggesting it’s worse necessarily) which allows him to play a role up the field. It’s timely that Adams comments have surfaced because I think he’d have pushed past Mitchell because of the planta injury. He was a deceptively good runner with those short steps.
If you're on a flank, you've got to be able to apply pressure through pace or the endurance to get to extra contests. And you've got to have a weapon to hurt teams when we've got the ball. The good ones have multiple weapons.

I’m getting to the point now where for his own sake I actually want Fin to ask for a trade

Really feel for him

You do understand that the coaches would be communicating with him, on what needs to be done to get in to the senior lineup?

Most on here just purely look at stat sheet and think he's being hard done by.

If I’m Finn I’m on the phone to my manager today asking to get the hell out of Collingwood. Two mids out and he still doesn’t get a game. Mid season trade would see him out of the pies.

I just don’t understand it was fly lying to us with all the positive talk about Finn and how important he is to the team. Strange way to show it. Clearly our best every week in the VFL but never gets a full game in the AFL. They must be telling him a few porkies to have kept him there.

Leggies form in the VFL hasn’t deserved a call up not even close. 🤦‍♂️

Maybe Fin is under disciplinary action (how would we know?)

Maybe he’s carrying a niggle?

Maybe there’s a failing in his game that he needs to work on and has been told he isn’t getting a game until he does?

Maybe his fitness levels aren’t where they need to be? (Years ago us punters were crying out for a certain player to get games … behind the scenes the senior coach pointed out that the player wasm’t snywhere near fit enough and pointed to clear examples during games where the player’s fitness let the team down)

If I’m Finn I’m on the phone to my manager today asking to get the hell out of Collingwood. Two mids out and he still doesn’t get a game. Mid season trade would see him out of the pies.

I just don’t understand it was fly lying to us with all the positive talk about Finn and how important he is to the team. Strange way to show it. Clearly our best every week in the VFL but never gets a full game in the AFL. They must be telling him a few porkies to have kept him there.

Leggies form in the VFL hasn’t deserved a call up not even close. 🤦‍♂️
Can Finn play half back like Oleg can to release Crisp and Nick into full time midfield roles?

They kind of have though?!?
We can’t handle players that can only play one position. It’s been a hallmark since ‘22.
Adams left because of it, titch gets away with it because he is top 5% in that space…..but no one else does.

We’ve push the boundaries on list management in the last 2 years…I suspect Finn will be another casualty.
I don’t disagree with the rest but Fin’s contract was extended at the start of year.

Tom Mitchell played 65 games in 5 years at Swans and probably not many in the first 2 or 3.
Even some of the stars had to wait a while to become regulars. Fin has played less than Titch did but hopefully he clicks and can become a regular from late this year or from next season.

It'll be whe or Lippa. I suspect Lippa as we need WHEs leaping up forward.
Tend to disagree , especially unlikely to be WHE I reckon for the reason you mentioned. They kicked 7 between them two games back.

All depends how the other mids are utilised to cover for Jordy and titch. There are a few options.

That said I have a pretty bad record so far this year predicting the sub!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back