Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People keep saying Macrae lacks pace as though he’s treacle slow. I think his pace is okay when he decides to use it. See it often on offensive transition, rarely in defensive chasing. That’s the area he needs to work on, closing the gap. Might still be a tank issue.
he's ok once he gets going & has some momentum but his first 2 or 3 strides lack power and, given his role, initial burst out of a stoppage is important in chasing if you don't win it at the source.

Run is our strongest asset. And not certain Dean adds significant enough additional defensive power to stop McKay or Curnow to justify the pace compromise.
The concern for me isn't necessarily McKay or Curnow (they're still huge threats regardless of who we select), but our ability to transition from our back 50 to the wing/centre when we get the ball in our back 50.

In my opinion, Howe forward of centre provides us with a different look when exiting our defensive 50 as he's athletic and intelligent enough to provide a good lead-up option, but also has enough athleticism to halve a contest with Carlton's ruck where our exit from defensive 50 isn't clean.

People keep saying Macrae lacks pace as though he’s treacle slow. I think his pace is okay when he decides to use it. See it often on offensive transition, rarely in defensive chasing. That’s the area he needs to work on, closing the gap. Might still be a tank issue.
You're 100% correct, the narrative that Macrae lacks pace is fanciful.
His pace is no worse than Sidey.

Everyone calming down after it was confirmed Kreuger was returning to the VFL 🤣

9a3b8fa94dd2324ddc6f40d1ccc5e35a.gif

Is the consecutive games record starting to play on the mind of Crisp and self preservation is starting to set in even if only subconsciously?

His disposal average of 16.43 so far in 2024 is the lowest of his career whilst at Collingwood and close to 5 disposals less on average than last season. It's over 10 less than his career best average of 27 achieved in 2021.

We need him to lift and with De Goey and Mitchell in serious doubt for this week it's become urgent.

Been spending a bit more time in defence this year and 1 game as the sub which is likely the main reason his raw numbers are down.

tell Freddy to go nuts and let’s see how crazy s**t can get.
yeah, I saw him at the local Dick Smith's and they just finished putting in some new chips and rewired some circuitry, apparently he's good till half time friday night, where he might require a quick program upgrade and some more ram

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's faster than Mitchell - who'll he will most likely be replacing.
he is but Mitchell plays exclusively inside - scrounging on his knees, tackling, tapping the ball out - as 'first dibs' and just feeds the ball out

MacRae isn't the same type of absolute 'first dibs' inside player and therefore relies on his run to either chase or take-off out of stoppage. He's more your Shane O'Bree type than Scott Burns

They'll need a super lift given the players missing. TD and I are predicting a 15 goal win to the Blues at this stage. TD is considering taking up drinking for the first time in his life to get through the game. I'm off to Richmond to see if I can't find some heroin with which to totally anaesthetise the system against what could be the most decisive defeat of all time. Alcohol won't even touch the sides this Friday night.
Well, I hope your shopping trip works out for you.
I'll probably just headbutt the wall if things go astray.

Finn will definitely play as Mitch's replacement

i'd also use Maynard on-ball to replace JDG and run /compete with Cripps

..just need to slow them down from centre bounce & stoppage

so i'd roll WHE back (as Maynard's replacement) to play defence on Cottrell and pick another forward (Reef or AJ) to come into the side

he is but Mitchell plays exclusively inside - scrounging on his knees, tackling, tapping the ball out - as 'first dibs' and just feeds the ball out

MacRae isn't the same type of absolute 'first dibs' inside player and therefore relies on his run to either chase or take-off out of stoppage. He's more your Shane O'Bree type than Scott Burns
In the VFL Macrae is an inside mid - just like Mitchell.

Shane O'Bree was also incapable of covering distance with his kicks. He will never make a favourite players of all time list with me. If he is who Macrae is most like, let's give Sullivan a chance (although looking at the coaches' votes below, it seems that Macrae is the only player from last week's game with a genuine chance of selection).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back