Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think Fin and Harrison get full games, its now or never for Fin. Markov sub, don't want to lose too much experience.

9aead1d67885d20782a9619df9e195ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the VFL Macrae is an inside mid - just like Mitchell.
agree. just pointing out they play the same position slightly differently.

and that difference IMO means MacRae relies more on speed / pace from stoppage

ie. Mitchell is almost always on his knees at the bottom of the pack when the ball comes out

ps: i'm not arguing MacRae shouldn't play (i definitely think he should) just pointing out why he can often look slow or slower (in relative terms) to say a Mitchell

It’s all cleared up just newbie reporter misunderstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he must have misunderstood lol

I just heard it and yeah, clearly they mean VFL return

More likely Markov would be releasing Crisp from HB.
maybe but Crisp is already playing on-ball switching HB

either way, I'd prefer a bigger body in Maynard in there and competing with Cripps across the game to at least make it scrappy around stoppage /clearance

Like i say, i'd role WHE back into defence to replace Maynard, with WHE a decent match-up for Cottrell or E.Hollands who are both sneaking under the radar in hitting the score-board

On discussing Geel, Hoyne on SEN made the point that although they lose Clearance they ensure immediate pressure giving the opposition a “dirty clearance “. So Geel effectively nullify the oppositions ability to do damage with pure clearances.

That is great Coaching

It's the Hawks and Tigers model which won them multiple flags. People froth over clearances and contested footy but games are won on the outside and how well you can pressure and defend the oppo when they have it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was kinda stunned that the bloke who owns the gym I go to (who is a Hawthorn supporter) is super confident we'll beat Carlton

I was like "Mate, have you actually watched us play this year? De Goey probably isn't playing either"

"Nup, you'll beat Carlton easy. I'm even putting money on you guys"

Man. I'd kill for confidence like that right now lol

When did we last lose?

Shame about DeGoey and Mitchell.

Macrae surely a lock to come in.
Harrison into the 22 as well I would say.

Markov or Sullivan as the sub.

B - Quaynor Frampton Howe
HB - Maynard Moore Crisp
C - J.Daicos N.Daicos Sidebottom
HF - McCreery Mihocek Hill
F - Schultz Cox Elliott
R - Cameron Pendlebury Macrae
INT - Noble Lipinski WHE Harrison
SUB - Markov/Sullivan

Still good enough to get the job done.

And they've now got the flankers to slingshot it and do damage on the rebound with really quick ball movement. Chris Scott is very good.

They've been playing this style for a number of years now. Cast your mind back to our QF in 22 against them and also both games last year. It was slingshot v slingshot. They were great games to watch.

So team disposal count is down 30 per game based on averages over the first seven rounds compared to last year from 375 to 345. On average in 2024 we are -20 v oppo. We were 6/1 last year to 3/3/1 this year. So Crispy seems to be following the team trend at the moment. What that means I don’t know.

What's the breakdown like from the first 3 games (losses) compared to the past 4 games? (3 wins and a draw)

Acres has been one of the biggest reasons for Carlton's surge. He started quite slowly but has gradually built up to become one of the most effective wings in the competition. Other players who will need close minding are Cottrell and Newman.

Cottrell is effective at finding pockets of space within their forward 50, while Newman drives a lot of their momentum from half-back, particularly in the absence of Saad, Docherty and McGovern.

WHE would be my match-up on Acres, as Jaicos isn't defensive-minded enough. Maynard (or Markov if selected) to Cottrell and Lipinski to Newman.

I'd also like to see the coaching staff play Howe forward so as to throw another aerial presence at Weitering. This might mean selecting someone like Dean to play back, with Moore on Curnow and Frampton on McKay.

All players that take the field deserve time and respect given to them. However, if we're worrying too much about Matty Cottrell then we may as well throw the towel in now.

We'll get them the same way Geelong did and that's by exposing their fragile defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back