VFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Werribee at Victoria Park (Pies WON 121-79, replay links on pages 12 & 14)

Remove this Banner Ad

was scharenberg injured? i was there for the 3rd quarter and he looked really proppy

He's looked proppy since his return but it appears to be more prominent when he's got time to think about it.

Not seeing a rush with Sidebottom cost us four points against richmond.

Fremantle are off the boil at the moment, having struggled against the Suns and losing at home to the Tigers. We are a genuine chance to surprise them and Greenwood in the team would help us achieve that.

Or maybe not selecting him kept us in the game longer... pure speculation either way.

As for Freo, they've had 2x quiet games but if you expect that to continue after the bye you could well be in for a very rude shock. Doubt Greenwood getting a game after under 3 quarters of VFL will make much difference.

Apologies if I've missed something but who is the long term injury we bring Abbott in to cover for? Caff?

As far as I'm aware all clubs get a mid-season rookie elevation over and above LTIs.

Or maybe not selecting him kept us in the game longer... pure speculation either way.

As for Freo, they've had 2x quiet games but if you expect that to continue after the bye you could well be in for a very rude shock. Doubt Greenwood getting a game after under 3 quarters of VFL will make much difference.

It's not speculation. I said it. I'm never wrong. Hence I'm quoting a reliable source!

Its only a game. We need to remind ourselves in the middle of vigourous debate that we are only exchanging opinions.
And that mine are more important and more correct than all the others!!!

I strongly agree with two of your three points! :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfair on Scharenberg seeing as it's taken him a season and a half to put some games together. Really unfair on Freeman considering he has had a season and a half and hasn't put a game together. Also unfair to compare them to the best performed player who was drafted below them. I mean I suppose the 19 picks taken before Nate Fyfe in 2008 are complete duds?
If we chose players who have since spent their time on the sidelines with injury when every other draft pick in the top 20 has played footy then we didn't make the best choices. I am not suggesting that we deliberately set out to draft players who would sit out long periods with injury, though we knew that Scharenburg had issues.However I do believe Freeman was the wrong choice as he hadn't set the world on fire in the under 18s. McCarthy was the next best big man in the draft as we needed a key forward. He seemed a logical choice at the time and there was a belief in some quarters that we would draft him.

If we chose players who have since spent their time on the sidelines with injury when every other draft pick in the top 20 has played footy then we didn't make the best choices. I am not suggesting that we deliberately set out to draft players who would sit out long periods with injury, though we knew that Scharenburg had issues.

Based on your criteria you would never have drafted McCarthy because of the serious broken leg he suffered in the 18champs. It's results oriented thinking of the worst kind to suggest that we should have selected McCarthy because he hasn't been injured yet. This isn't even considering the fact he was, relatively speaking, an unknown quantity in that draft. I mean even Carlton passed on him and of all the teams in the competition they need a kpf the most. Lastly if you looked at our list now I think its most clear our immediate pressing need are outset mids. The recruiters knew that Moore was coming a year later and no doubt played some part of their decision (and perhaps also the decision to pass on Stewart

Last edited:
doesnt that scare the s**t out of u?

Think it's more a confidence thing than anything structual. You notice that the proppyness evaporates when he doesn't have time to think about it or there is any urgency in his play.

Of more concern to me is his reluctance at this stage to kick on the left but again I think that's a confidence thing. Certainly don't see any need to rush him into the seniors as more VFL time will help build that confidence.

Think it's more a confidence thing than anything structual. You notice that the proppyness evaporates when he doesn't have time to think about it or there is any urgency in his play.

Of more concern to me is his reluctance at this stage to kick on the left but again I think that's a confidence thing. Certainly don't see any need to rush him into the seniors as more VFL time will help build that confidence.
It seems to be a running technique now. Watching him run around at training on a regular basis this year was the first thing i noticed. Would love to get some vision of pre ACL and post ACL technique because I would imagine they would be significantly different.

It seems to be a running technique now. Watching him run around at training on a regular basis this year was the first thing i noticed. Would love to get some vision of pre ACL and post ACL technique because I would imagine they would be significantly different.
Other thing to consider is he made it back to playing in quick time for an ACL and had missed a lot of footy before that. He is already ahead of schedule compared to what you may have hoped for immediately post the ACL. For Shaz it's much easier the accept that this is mainly a develop in the VFL year for the above reasons rather than any rush to get him AFL time. He is a work in progress and will need more time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back