Preview Round 9: Essendon vs The Orange Team, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would surprise you?
Or you think I should be surprised?

Pretty offended to get a red thumb tbh. Rude.

I think you forgot to tag yodellinhank

I was happy with ADJ in the team, but his output went backwards a fair bit against the eagles. I didn't say anything as I was worried about getting that dreaded red thumb from Hank... :oops: :p

I think you forgot to tag yodellinhank

I was happy with ADJ in the team, but his output went backwards a fair bit against the eagles. I didn't say anything as I was worried about getting that dreaded red thumb from Hank... :oops: :p
Haha!

I'll have to go back and read the thread. I don't even remember the issue!

I also think ADJ needs a spell in the 2s. Too soft. Maybe he'll be more confident when he fills out a bit.

Toby Greene on the weekend. Old habits die hard I guess.

I think I've settled on:

Out: Alwyn Davey Jr, Todd Goldstein
In: Sam Draper, Dylan Shiel

Andrew McGrath (Greene) - Ben McKay (Hogan) - Jake Kelly (Cadman)
Mason Redman (Daniels) - Jayden Laverde (Riccardi) - Nic Martin (Jones)
Nik Cox - Jye Caldwell - Xavier Duursma
Kyle Langford (Idun) - Harrison Jones (Taylor) - Matt Guelfi (Whitfield)
Jade Gresham (Perryman) - Peter Wright (Buckley) - Jake Stringern(Perryman)
Sam Draper - Zach Merrett - Darcy Parish
Ben Hobbs - Dyson Heppell - Sam Durham Archie Perkins
Dylan Shiel

Last edited:
I think I've settled on:

Dylan Shiel
I agree with this as well

I think I've settled on:

Dylan Shiel
Cadman's height opposed to Kelly would concern me, but at least Kelly would keep him honest. I wouldn't be against seeing Hayes line up on Cadman.

I think you've overlooked someone though because you've got Perryman twice. Last time we beat them Idun had 3 or 4 goals kicked on him by Stringer. Langford seems a better match up but Idun has also improved a lot since then.

I like Shiel but I'm mindful that he's been ineffective as the sub.

Cadman's height opposed to Kelly would concern me, but at least Kelly would keep him honest. I wouldn't be against seeing Hayes line up on Cadman.

I think you've overlooked someone though because you've got Perryman twice. Last time we beat them Idun had 3 or 4 goals kicked on him by Stringer. Langford seems a better match up but Idun has also improved a lot since then.

I like Shiel but I'm mindful that he's been ineffective as the sub.
He's played sub once, having 11 touches and 3 clearances in a quarter and a half? Jeez, harsh criticism.

He's played sub once, having 11 touches and 3 clearances in a quarter and a half? Jeez, harsh criticism.

Not sure where you've pulled this from?

He was sub last year against Port in the game at the MCG and was terrible when he came on. 2-3 touches, really struggled to make an impact.

He was then the sub again the next week against Adelaide where he had 6 touches (I remember the game, can't remember Shiel, be it good or bad).

I have no idea what game you're talking about with those stats - I can't recall it, but if that's correct, then that's at least 3 games he's started as the sub.

At least going by last year, comments that it's a role he has struggled with are valid. The only difference you could say is that they were returns from injury, which might've had something to do with it. This year he's now been playing for a while, and it's more we just don't currently have a spot/role for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where you've pulled this from?

He was sub last year against Port in the game at the MCG and was terrible when he came on. 2-3 touches, really struggled to make an impact.

He was then the sub again the next week against Adelaide where he had 6 touches (I remember the game, can't remember Shiel, be it good or bad).

I have no idea what game you're talking about with those stats - I can't recall it, but if that's correct, then that's at least 3 games he's started as the sub.

At least going by last year, comments that it's a role he has struggled with are valid. The only difference you could say is that they were returns from injury, which might've had something to do with it. This year he's now been playing for a while, and it's more we just don't currently have a spot/role for him.
I forgot about the ones last year. He was sub against the Dogs 2 years ago

I'm a big believer in keeping a winning team together. Minimal changes.. ideally to create cohesion between the team. Most top sides over the past two decades have had a pretty solid 'best 25' that have played plenty of games together.

I think Giants are ahead of us but I'm really looking forward to seeing if we have actually learnt something from the Port game. I am hoping we put in a much better showing against what I believe to be a genuine top 4 team and flag threat.

I would be very against anything that makes our team slower.. GWS are fast. Fast athletically, fast ball movement and lethal when they get rolling. There is a big risk if we go too tall/too slow.

For that reason, I'd give ADJ another crack. Unchanged for mine.

Training watchers over on Blitz saying there were a few loud cheers today from the boys - and a few got around Bryan.

Maybe Bryan is in if Draper isnā€™t available?
I don't think its a good idea. in fact it'd be quite bizarre given the opponent.

We've only played two rucks + Wright twice this year, coincidentally against 2 of the 4 best transitioning teams in Sydney and Collingwood. Forward pressure in those games were awful. Surely we're not going to make it 3 from 4? We need more run and forward pressure vs GWS.

Perhaps we'll next try it again vs Geelong to make it 4 from 4.

I don't think its a good idea. in fact it'd be quite bizarre given the opponent.

We've only played two rucks + Wright twice this year, coincidentally against 2 of the 4 best transitioning teams in Sydney and Collingwood. Forward pressure in those games were awful. Surely we're not going to make it 3 from 4? We need more run and forward pressure vs GWS.

Perhaps we'll next try it again vs Geelong to make it 4 from 4.

I'm 100% with you and been harping on about it since preseason as to what a big issue our forward pressure can be, and how carrying both Wright and 2 rucks can be such a big issue.

My other side of the fence for this though is - I'm guessing Scott/match committee doesn't have faith in Draper's ability to ruck 70-80% of a game. With Goldstein and Draper, that's fine. But Draper's body has already needed a rest, Goldstein's is probably going to need a couple throughout the year, which might include this week.
I think moving forward, Wright needs to be able to play that KPF/2nd ruck role like he did last week. But that probably caps out at rucking about 15-20% gametime.

If they're in a situation saying Goldstein needs a rest this week - there is logic to saying we need both Draper and Bryan to cover.

A Bryan/Goldstein combination would be interesting.

When it's been Draper/Goldstein, Draper has been the one who has played majority forward. Who plays majority forward out of Goldstein and Bryan?

In reality, it's probably Bryan continuing his AFL existence of playing about 45% game time, all in the ruck, and getting subbed out.

A Bryan/Goldstein combination would be interesting.

When it's been Draper/Goldstein, Draper has been the one who has played majority forward. Who plays majority forward out of Goldstein and Bryan?

In reality, it's probably Bryan continuing his AFL existence of playing about 45% game time, all in the ruck, and getting subbed out.
when heā€™s played AFL i recall bryan general having excellent marking/ kicking execution so he certainly could spend time in the f50 j think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back