Autopsy Round 9: Hawks beat up on the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Except that this isn't true. Some of the things he says are actually simply fabrications, paradoxes or just plain poor logic. I understand he is a complete moron as a human being, so hard to hold it against him, and while his criticism of Hawthorn's level of play recently have been spot on, his "expert" stance on us not going to the draft, and recruiting older players to fill holes is apparently a poor approach in his eyes, as was getting rid of him to get a younger list. He can't have it both ways. So yes his criticism of our level of play is founded, the rest of his biased rhetoric is not.
The media always play it both ways, so do a lot humans without realizing it, you only have to read this very site for that. But there are those who know what buttons to push to get the club to snap the eff out it, once everything else has been tried, Jordan ain't one of them.

As for the biased rhetoric - yep it's just all white noise, to make the industry seem important during the week, once the games have finished - seriously I switched off 15 minutes after the game last night (except for 2 posts today, see above, about both ways) because that's what supporters used to do.

We'd watch the game "yah we won" or "damn we got beat" - purely just support the team on the day and then get back to our lives, rather then let it take away our lives, as time is all we have, and if your happy to spend all of it on Hawthorn and the Afl then personal choice and good luck to those people, but don't bitch about it (and I don't mean you personally), as it's each persons choice to invest there time into being outraged and to spend it totally on the game.

Nothing matters really (footy wise) until we play the Hockers. Each to their own but people do need to own when they are over invested and getting shity because of it. Doesn't mean the people who don't worry about the noise are less passionate about it either. They just don't let it run their life.

So speaking of time, everyone have a good safe week and we'll see next week if the fundamentals have actually changed with the class inclusions and/or we just finally got pissed off being pissed on and started playing with no more "Mr Nice uncontested guy".

I agree! That sh*te on the AFL website was more a Carlton appreciation video than focusing on our performance!
The AFL highlights videos have always been horrible. Honestly don't know why they don't just include every goal kicked. May be a broadcast rights thing come to think of it but still at least put a few more highlights in it.

Flicked on the score and we are 31 down ....oh well here we go .
Feed the kids , bath etc ....45 minutes later we are up at 1/2 time .

Take a bow Sam Frost , Will Day and Isaac Smith.
That one piece of play , a bit of dare , aggression and smart thinking (Smith)was like releasing a pressure valve.
We were totally different after that.

A few class ins and we look so much better , more confident and played as a team.
Great replay to watch 👍

"Worst possible result for the Hawks future" according to Kane "the list Sam Mitchell inherits will be worse as a result"
Yeah Kane because AFL history is just filled with proof that becoming a basket case and finishing bottom 4 for a decade is the best way to build a list 🤣

Pretty sure they put up as many Carlton goals as they did of ours.
Yeah they always try and do that, can make a lopsided win seem close.
There were so many random passages of play, no flow to the video lots of bits that weren't good footy

Looked like they've got the work experience kid working through a list of things they need to show like X amount of marks or tackles

It just wasn't a very good package

One of the best wins i have seen in a long time given all the current circumstances and game situation, i thought to myself i will give to halftime i'm glad i did and got to witness that 2nd quarter great stuff. Well done to all the coaches and players who stuck fat and dug in, A few adjustments from the assistant’s Mitchy & Burns at qtr time.

The comeback was ignited by the youngest player on the list W.Day goal, all the boys got around him what a classy finish and player he will be, Worpel 2nd yr player went into contested beast mode, back to his best ball winning capability then Tom started to take over. It was then the class and skills of the snr core that went on display Tom, Shiels, Smith, Gunners, Silk, they all stood up as one it was like a tsunami in the second qtr, the pressure was starting to lift of everyone shoulders you could feel it, it was great to see them smile again. They started to be confident with the ball in hand the longer the game went the more dare and first options they took it was great to watch roughly around 60% in the 2nd qtr.

What impressed me also, Smithy had a shocking 1st qtr several mistake leading to direct goals, did he bounce back with some form, O’brien Dropped a Soda and the end of the 2nd, Third quarter the heat was on and he slotted a nice goal when required, well done to both for turning it around.

For the First time in a month I am looking forward to next week no changes for mine, how could you! Any sore bodies i would like to See Kosi,Cj,Finn,Jones,Walker,Jekka depending on positions! Go Hawks

Ps How Good was it to have Punky,Wingard,Impey in the same side

Correction - Worpel 3rd year player.

Just goes to show that if we take the game on then we play so much better, and are a solid team.

All of our best players got involved and looked good. Suddenly Wingard was able to dash forward into space and release others, creating goals. Mitchell getting the ball in close and out on the run, urging the ball forward. Gunston beating his man on the lead because we moved it quickly. Etc.

Worpel, Frost and Mitchell were ferocious at the ball and the man, which showed the change in attitude and permeated throughout the team.

Just goes to show that if we take the game on then we play so much better, and are a solid team.

All of our best players got involved and looked good. Suddenly Wingard was able to dash forward into space and release others, creating goals. Mitchell getting the ball in close and out on the run, urging the ball forward. Gunston beating his man on the lead because we moved it quickly. Etc.

Worpel, Frost and Mitchell were ferocious at the ball and the man, which showed the change in attitude and permeated throughout the team.
Confidence. Day and Smith started it.
Seeing Carlton drop their heads gave our boys a bit of encouragement too.

First time we've played as a team for weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay this morning and want to comment on three whipping boys and the general game plan.

Scully - Had a reasonable good game and when had space gave some decent delivery. Had 4 score involvements. DE need to improve but he only had one clanger and compare that to Scrimshaw who had 6 but no talk of him on the board (before anyone loses it Scrimshaw stays in for me but using for context).

O'Brien - Yes he doesn't take the marks he should (and we focus so much on that one missed mark at the end of the second) but he makes contest after contest. Ask yourself this, would you rather a player who made the contest and made the opposition work for a possession or the opposite? And Impey's goal which got everyone excited was because O'Brien made the contest, brought the goal to ground (he was spoiled) and then made the second effort to get the ball to handball to Impey.

Stratton - From a pure playing perspective he is doing role and keeps some level of composure in the backline. When he was caught out down back it was generally because another player had left their man and he was caught out 1 on 2. But as a Captain, I'm still to be convinced. He needs to understand that he does not only lead the team but that he is the Captain of the Hawthorn Football club and represents all of us.

So I think that Clarko has decided the McEvoy down back experiment does not work. He plays better either up forward, or in the ruck and sweeping down back. That makes the backline look much better and settled and the rebound was so much better. Being forced to not have Henderson has opened up a spot for a youngster and that is Morrison. And as has been mentioned the midfield looked way more cohesive.

I've piled on him recently, but Stratton definitely had his best game of the year yesterday.
Smithy just on 3AW just saying that it was Stratts efforts early in the second q that inspired the squad and turned the game around.

Say what you want about his demeanour, but if his efforts are doing that, and the players are saying that about him, he is doing his job as captain.

"Worst possible result for the Hawks future" according to Kane "the list Sam Mitchell inherits will be worse as a result"
I heard it , wasn't suprised but to be fair he did say he admired how we dug in , turned things around when a lot of clubs would have turned their toes up.

More interstingly Hodgey said he 'didnt totally disagree' with that thought. So do we be annoyed at him as well ?

Anyone else have the same issue with me?
I want to watch the replay but I can't find it.

20200801_134415.jpg

Where's the episode 75?

Btw Jaeger was on fox footy and he mentioned that after first quarter they made structural changes. Then Robbo trying to make Jaeger gives the details, but Jaeger keeps talking in circle 😁 realising that he shouldn't said it.

Watched the replay this morning and want to comment on three whipping boys and the general game plan.

Scully - Had a reasonable good game and when had space gave some decent delivery. Had 4 score involvements. DE need to improve but he only had one clanger and compare that to Scrimshaw who had 6 but no talk of him on the board (before anyone loses it Scrimshaw stays in for me but using for context).

O'Brien - Yes he doesn't take the marks he should (and we focus so much on that one missed mark at the end of the second) but he makes contest after contest. Ask yourself this, would you rather a player who made the contest and made the opposition work for a possession or the opposite? And Impey's goal which got everyone excited was because O'Brien made the contest, brought the goal to ground (he was spoiled) and then made the second effort to get the ball to handball to Impey.

Stratton - From a pure playing perspective he is doing role and keeps some level of composure in the backline. When he was caught out down back it was generally because another player had left their man and he was caught out 1 on 2. But as a Captain, I'm still to be convinced. He needs to understand that he does not only lead the team but that he is the Captain of the Hawthorn Football club and represents all of us.

So I think that Clarko has decided the McEvoy down back experiment does not work. He plays better either up forward, or in the ruck and sweeping down back. That makes the backline look much better and settled and the rebound was so much better. Being forced to not have Henderson has opened up a spot for a youngster and that is Morrison. And as has been mentioned the midfield looked way more cohesive.

TBH I'd rather a player that just took the marks. Again TOB had two marks and four kicks for the game. Yes he tries hard, but he's not good enough for a team with any kind of aspirations. Once Lewis is fit and ready with his body then he must come in and replace him.

Not including the game he got injured he's averaging <3 marks and <5 kicks a game.

TBH I'd rather a player that just took the marks. Again TOB had two marks and four kicks for the game. Yes he tries hard, but he's not good enough. Once Lewis is fit and ready with his body then he must come in and replace him.

Not including the game he got injured he's averaging <3 marks and <5 kicks a game.
Which is still better than Lewis has averaged this year

He once again made Betts a non factor... I have never seen a player just completely and utterly dominate another individual. Massive lift from him this week to shut down Eddie. People seriously need to stop hating on him just for the sake of hating.

Stratton beating Darling everytime against West Coast since 2011 springs to mind. :D

Yeah, which was why I said once he's got his body right. Who knows how long that will take though?
7 touches yesterday for 5 score involvements which was the equal second most by any Hawk.

Every week you bang on about dropping him for Lewis who hasn't played half as well as O'Brien this year and isn't even playing the same role in the team when he is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back