Development Rugby in Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

and thats exactly the point. in the last month we've had 4 bizarre fixtures, with the roosters in christchurch, souths in perth, the bulldogs in adelaide and sharks in gosford.

why? why are any of those clubs hosting games in these cities? theres no connection with them.

its so lazy by the nrl. theres no embrace or nurturing in any of these places. inthe case of gosford the nrl treats it like s**t.

the nrl is merely putting random matches in random cities to test whether there are any ready made markets into which the nrl could expand into without having to do anything to achieve it.

no one shows up, the nrl will call it a "developing market" and then do nothing to develop it.

as much as people want to talk about nrl expansion, its fast becoming evident to me that the only possible expansion areas are a 2nd brisbane team and rockhampton, because the nrl isnt prepared to put any effort into region that will need some development

I don't agree with your comments that no one showed up for those games. There were over 20,000 people in Christchurch in terrible conditions, around 12,000? in Perth and over 10,000 in Adelaide....very good crowds imo for rugby league in foreign territory.

The 2 new teams for expansion look like being CC and Perth in 2013, not the areas you suggested.

Hopefully this new Independent Commssion that is to be formed soon, can bring some fresh new people and ideas to the table.

Just about the game yesterday in Adelaide. Im not an extreme League supporter, but I watch the occasional NRL game and make an effort to watch SoO and Test matches and I wouldve gone to the game but the only thing I heard about it was a brief ad while I was watching Game 3 of the Origin series, and of course that was too late because Id already been rostered on to work yesterday.

You'd think the NRL would make a bit more hype about the one game in Adelaide for the season, still I was pretty impressed with 10,500 people considering the amount of advertising for it.

It was a pretty good night, enjoyable atmosphere - as mentioned a crowd of over 10,000 on a pretty cold Saturday night with minimal advertising is great.

Not sure about a team here just yet, I mean it was good, but I wouldn't go every second week kinda thing. They would definately have to avoid it clashing with the AFL and possibly A-League..

i was there also (big weekend for me this one just completed!). I would like to contradict pretty much everyone who has said there was no media hype as such. (maybe because i'm a SACA member, and Bulldogs fan and connected on their facebook and all sorts helped). But there was a quite a lot of media talk, a few advertisements in the papers. plenty of photos in the paper when they were all down at Alberton kicking footballs around with the Port Adelaide FC. There was plenty about.

Again though: as i said, because i knew it was happening, maybe my eyes were glued a bit more to the promotion of the game. But it was around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back