RLWC '22 Rugby League World Cup 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed they go with DCE and leave Cleary on the bench. Hopefully DCE just plays the early wins and they are giving Cleary a rest after a long season.

If I'm an opposition coach in a final I'm more worried about planning against what Cleary can do vs what Cherry-Evans will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not looking that way so far.
Wow huh. Did anyone expect that? Certainly not me. England were terrific but Samoa had to have played one of the most disappointing opening games you'll see given the hype that came in for them.

I'm almost prepared to rule them out as contenders based on that, that's how bad they were. England made them look like one of the no name nations that is just making up the group numbers, yet they were the tournament 3rd favourites.

Don't think you'll ever see an eventual winner losing 60-6 in their opening game.

Also watched the replay of the Aussie game, not gonna wake at 530am on a Sunday for group games that we should win easily.

The result was as expected, Fiji will be pretty handy and a chance for 2nd in the group, but over 80 minutes despite scoring first were never going to be able to match it with the Aussies.

Wow huh. Did anyone expect that? Certainly not me. England were terrific but Samoa had to have played one of the most disappointing opening games you'll see given the hype that came in for them.

I'm almost prepared to rule them out as contenders based on that, that's how bad they were. England made them look like one of the no name nations that is just making up the group numbers, yet they were the tournament 3rd favourites.

Don't think you'll ever see an eventual winner losing 60-6 in their opening game.

England were very good weren't they? I definitely wasn't expecting that.
It was their outside backs that impressed me the most - an area where they've always seemed to struggle in times past - some fast, elusive, athletic backs might finally be the missing ingredient. Dom Young in full flight is a joy to watch.
That said, Samoa were awful. If they end up finishing 2nd in their group my prediction is that they'll run into PNG in the quarters which is a game they're a very real chance of losing if they play like they did this morning.

You could be right, Tigger. But Samoa ought to have too much class for PNG? But they'll need to polish up their act a lot. Obviously, really pleased with our outside backs. And the whole team.

Klein was pretty lenient with the 10 for England. Seemed to be up in the line suspiciously quickly and Samoa just had no space to get going forward. Will be interesting to see if that's the way all games are officiated.

Joey Manu wonderful for the Kiwis, but the game ended very scrappily. Wigan reserve winger Abbas Miski did pretty well for Lebanon. Italy and Ireland both looked decent. Surprised Rapana was doing the kicking, he's not a regular kicker. He actually did OK, but surely Manu is a better kicker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back