Sports Running: I dont get it

Remove this Banner Ad

From the end of cricket season up until a couple of weeks ago I was tired like all the time and couldn't study, as I'm not playing footy this year and doing zero exercise. Started running a couple of ks every second morning and it's done wonders.

Love it. One of the best thing to do when you need to clear your mind for whatever reason :thumbsu: Put on some headphones and you will be set for 30-60 mins worth of running. Also, you feel great afterwards (mentally that is)

I've always loved running as an exercise.

I got into it initially as a chubby 14 year old to lose weight but since then I've ran 3 or 4 times a week. The biggest factor for me is the music; once you find something personally inspiring it becomes easy to do.

Can relate to the skinny-fat sentiment too. I've got a fairly thin body but have very little definition which I've been able to counter sporadically with gym work.

Also just love the feeling when you're still running hard with ten minutes to go in a match. That's a huge motivator.

Never been a fan of running and always hate pre season training when it is just purely running. Doing full ground drills with footy's I have no trouble with but any type of distance running nearly brings me to tears.

The worst thing is I consider myself relatively fit and healthy, I don't mind a drink but nothing overboard but still find that come game day there are times in games when I am struggling.

My older brother hardly trains, smokes and drinks heavily and his diet is terrible but he has no trouble running out a game. His problem is he struggles to get the ball. ;)

Seems like everyone is crazy about running at the moment. Triathlons, marathons, fun runs, time trials....I just dont get it.

I find running so god damn hard and boring. I get no pleasure in just running along. Give me kick to kick/footy training anyday. And for some reason I just cant do it. I struggle to run more than 4km without having to stop/die cos my legs burn up.

Running and swimming for me is the same as how some people use anti depressants. It keeps my stress levels low and things in perspective.

Love it. One of the best thing to do when you need to clear your mind for whatever reason :thumbsu: Put on some headphones and you will be set for 30-60 mins worth of running. Also, you feel great afterwards (mentally that is)

Yes true.

Yeah, never got the appeal. I need to be either chasing something or running away from something to really be able to push myself. Just don't have the mental toughness to make myself keep going through a 40 minute constant run.

Yep, I don't have the mental toughness to be able to do what I like to call 'churn exercising'. Churn exercising is basically any form of exercise (mainly running, swimming, and cycling) where you just churn out reps/steps/pedals and just keep going until you're tired/finished your set.

It shits me to tears. I can't go on an exercise bike without watching TV/movies, can't go for a run unless it's at footy training and we have ball work with decision making in it, can't even walk my dog unless I take my football with me.

I need to be doing something, that's not endlessly repetitive and takes my mind off things.

Oh yeah, plus I'm one of those runners who gets feet, knee and shoulder aches when running. Unless I'm playing football. WTF.

Oh yeah, plus I'm one of those runners who gets feet, knee and shoulder aches when running. Unless I'm playing football. WTF.

Im not an expert but you are probably running more naturally/instinctively whilst playing football so your feet are acting as the shock absorbers they evolved as instead of transferring all the force up to your knee when your heel strikes the ground first.

I hate running with a passion, but throw me into a game of basketball and I'll run up and down the court like there's no tomorrow.

Sounds like there's a lot of lazy ****s in here who can't grasp the sastifaction gained by pushing past the point of exhaustion, physically and mentally.

Also I hate running to the sound of music or treadmills. There's this thing called outside, get in it.

Sounds like there's a lot of lazy ****s in here who can't grasp the sastifaction gained by pushing past the point of exhaustion, physically and mentally.

Also I hate running to the sound of music or treadmills. There's this thing called outside, get in it.

What about running to music outside?

Yeh on another note we've just purchased a treadmill and I've already found I much prefer the outdoors.

It's cool being able to keep the same speed and everything but you feel you're going nowhere. Love being able to sprint the last couple hundred metres and getting to your destination.

What about running to music outside?

Well I don't like headphones when I run, so unless someone wants to follow behind me with a boombox, 80's style...

And also I don't like music cause it makes me think about time. I know the length of songs I'd listen to, I'd rather just go until I feel sastified from the run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the OP, of course its going to be hard when you first start. You have to build your fitness over time.

For me I like to run occasionally on the beach. Better on the joints as its lower impact and better scenery. Your legs get hammered on pavement.

OP you fat bastard, if you're too much of a fatty mcfat fat to run then buy a stationary exercise bike. When you do leave your swamp just make sure you wear loose fitting clothes until you're at an acceptable weight for the public eye.

Srsly though running is s**t and can be pretty bad for your legs/joints if you run with poor technique or run with poor quality footwear.

Why are you so petrified of silence
Here can you handle this?
Did you think about your bills, your ex, your deadlines

Or when you think you're gonna die
Or did you long for the next distraction

As if I needed any reminders of how attention deficit our society is, this thread has given me plenty.

Why do you need to be playing a game to run? Are you that sick of your own mind that you can't stand thirty minutes of just you and it together?

Why do you need to be playing a game to run? Are you that sick of your own mind that you can't stand thirty minutes of just you and it together?

Not a fan of jogging but I love walking, even if I don't do it often enough. When walking, I can get lost in my thoughts. When jogging, my mind's always on the task at hand.

I reckon it is kinda like hitting the gym.

Once you get to a decent point in your own development, it becomes something you actually look forward to, rather than just a chore.

Push through the annoying early stage (maybe the first couple of months? Depends on the person I guess) and it will be easy from there.

:thumbsu:

Exactly on all points.

you can do that without running.

The great thing about running is that anyone can do it. You don't need a footy. You don't need mates. You don't need to be fit or tall or have any special skills. You need a pair of half-decent shoes and that's it. Doesn't matter who or where you are, you can get an exercise fix.

First thing that goes into my bag when I go away are my running shoes. It doesn't matter if I'm staying in a pokey little apartment in the middle of the CBD, or on a farm out back of Bourke - I can still get up and get some fresh air and an adrenaline hit.

Given the choice there might be other stuff I enjoy more, but there's a lot to be said for the simplicity and ease of running. It may take a bit of time to get into the groove, but if you enjoy exercise for the sake of exercise then you can enjoy a good run.

Much prefer a good cycle. Feel more like I'm getting somewhere, and it's much easier to do short bursts of pace and relax a little on the downhill segments. I'm not a big fan of the slow tucker that is a jog, and as there's a lot of long roads around me, there's nothing worse than going on a run, actually going a decent distance but feeling like you're going nowhere. I've just never been a big fan.

Don't mind sprints though, and I suppose that considering I'm a Hockey Goalkeeper, that's probably something that is quite a bit more beneficial to me. Don't mind absolutely destroying myself to the point of exhaustion, as long as I can get it over with quickly. Lengthening out the process through a jog just sounds like a cruel and unusual punishment to me!

Same philosophy as Caesar, running is just a very simple, accessible activity, half-decent running shoes is all you need. Up until about the age of 50, it's just a quick, easy and satisfying form of exercise. After that, I would stick with walking, cycling, swimming, etc, to look after the joints.

There have been times in my life when I was struggling with issues or always had something on my mind, and running was a constant saviour for me. I think if you feel that you are fighting against the world, that gives you the frame of mind to run all day long. I used to run marathons. But I dont need to fight the world so much anymore, so I cant run marathons anymore lol. Lost that ability. I just run now to stay healthy and because it is a simple recreational exercise.

I only use headphones on treadmills. You can make an excellent gym playlist and 45mins flies by. However, I prefer running outdoors without headphones. I live in Canberra near Lake Burley Griffin, and there are lots of scenic routes to take such as around the lake or through jerrabomberra towards the airport (a very lonely, green run, amazing in a capital city), etc. No traffic lights to stop at, which is great for an inner-city jog. The only thing is that Canberra is rather flat. I have lived in some areas that are really hilly and beautiful, and they make some amazing runs.

For me, running is like reading. I have done and loved both activities all my life, but they are love/hate at times. I'll go through cycles where running/reading is like my no.1 hobby, and at other times it can be a bit of a chore. 3 month cycles usually.

Can definetly see how many people use running as a form of maintaining postive mental health. Wish I could be like that. I envy them.

But Ive never been able to run far. Ever. Not even at my highest point of fitness. I have naturally massive hamstrings, quads, shoudlers and chest muscles. Im guessing that it must take a crap load of energy to move this all around for long distances. I get to a point where I just cant move. Not from pain like shin splints or anything, cos I dont get injured, just hitting a wall.

But sprints, jumps, tackles, contested footy never had a problem with. At training and on game day I run myself to the ground. Never one to laze around. At school and uni I was good at sprints and long jump. Even boxing.

I did some reading - seems physiology plays a big part. Different muscle types and different proportions. Slow twitch is aerobic (oxygen) slow twitch v anaerobic (non-oxygen) fast twitch plays a big part in whether youre a power athlete or an endurance athlete. And youre VO2 max, which gentics plays a large part in. A power athletes body may be more efficient at using short term energy stores like creatine phosphate to create energy to move muscle. An endurance athlete will be more efficient at using oxygenated pathways.

No doubt training can improve all aspects - I heard that improving your max VO2 takes a lot of work, and is easy to lose when you stop training.

The real freaks on the footy field have the best of both worlds - like Judd, Mitchell, Franklin, Kerr and dare I say Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back