Sports Running: I dont get it

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like there's a lot of lazy ****s in here who can't grasp the sastifaction gained by pushing past the point of exhaustion, physically and mentally.

I love the feeling when you push yourself to/beyond the edge in footy but not just plain running. I just don't enjoy it, at all. Don't mind cycling.

I love the feeling when you push yourself to/beyond the edge in footy but not just plain running. I just don't enjoy it, at all. Don't mind cycling.

Same.

For some masochistic reason I love waking up the next day after a game of footy struggling to move with brusies knowing that you gave your all. And if your team won its magnified.

But when its from running or doing something mundane I feel no pleasure.

Don't mind absolutely destroying myself to the point of exhaustion, as long as I can get it over with quickly. Lengthening out the process through a jog just sounds like a cruel and unusual punishment to me!

This is actually why I like running, imo minute for minute there's not many excercises that are as good a work out. You can take a nice easy run for an hour just to clear your head but if you've only got 20 minutes there's nothing better then setting yourself up for a good targeted run, keeping the pace high and varying it.

(If you're on a tready make it 30, you just dont get the same workout)

I think a lot of people stop running before they really begin enjoying it because they just start jogging along the same road everytime and think that's it. That's not how I like to run, much prefer staying off roads and paths and changing it up heaps with locations, pace, even or uneven ground and whether it's one long circuit or different mini runs.

Like any excercise its easy to just go through the motions and not maximise your time if you're not thinking about your workout. It also pays to do at least a little research into how to run, there's plenty of differing opinions but some basic tips can really help avoid injury. I've had a few friends start and stop with injury since I've been running but I feel like I'm finding a style that suits me and since I've cut down the number of runs on hard surfaces I'm running better and enjoying it more, without injuries so far.

I live in Canberra near Lake Burley Griffin, and there are lots of scenic routes to take such as around the lake or through jerrabomberra towards the airport (a very lonely, green run, amazing in a capital city), etc. No traffic lights to stop at, which is great for an inner-city jog. The only thing is that Canberra is rather flat. I have lived in some areas that are really hilly and beautiful, and they make some amazing runs.

There are some really nice running tracks around LBG. I run the Chinmoy 10km every second morning, then (time permitting) do the West Basin of a weekend. Not too flat, with a few hills (usually all long bastards, like that one near the SW corner, if not particularly high), but not too hilly either. The -3 this morning was a bit s**t though

- Keeps you fit
- Good stress reliever
- Listen to some top music
- Best of all, running combined with gym work, means eating as much as you want at little/no cost :D

I can definitely see the appeal, but for me it's not something I enjoy too much. I prefer going to a basketball court for an hour than going for a run.

Damn... I hate running now.

Just got back into it the other day and can barely get 2km without legs burning and aching. Can't believe I used to run 12km.

Generally speaking I hate running unless I'm chasing after a footy. That said, after belting out 3kms on the treadmill I do feel pretty great afterwards. So I'd say most runners do it for the fitness and the runners high

The last running I did was some time back...we were being followed by three dudes (two of us) and one whisphers across this deserted street,

"Not so f***ng chatty now are we??"

So quietly we count to 3 and do the running.

My mate he was a good runner and he sprinted off...these dudes were like greyhounds chasing the rabbit...they forgot about me as I ducked into a laneway and chased after him.

He out ran them and we both met up at our mates house unscathed.

Running is good for you.

If only. Shin splints are murdering me right now. Went for a few sprints the other day (as reccomended by fairdinkum :thumbsu:). Felt okay but seized up afterwards. I hate treadmills.

For 3 years I played footy along with to just run outside of it. Completely different mentally speaking. I love the physical contested side of football, and when you get your skills right and kick a goal it's fun too. But when you give your all on a footy field, it feels different to just going for a long run at pace.

One thing I noticed physically though, is that after getting pretty good at the running, it didn't seem to help me maintain my energy and endurance on gameday.

I love running. If i could run everywhere i would. The thing i hate is that if you're running and not wearing running clothes, everyone assumes you're either mental or in an emergency. Nup, just like to run.

Also this is very true.

Preseason or whatever I could run during drills, sprints until I spewed, tell me to go and do a 5km run on the road / streets and I get bored shitless about half way into it and just stop.

On the other hand I did one of the old Herald Sun Super Runs from the MCG to Flemington with no training and did it pretty easily, was 17.5km from memory and did a number of Rip to River fun runs along the beach, I think they were around the 11km mark. It must have been because it was competitive, I'd pick some random person out in front of me and concentrate on getting past them, then I'd just pick someone else out and keep going.

As for treadmills, 10 to 15 mins max, even more boring than a random run out on the streets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to run every day religiously but I have a lot of trouble with my hooves on harder surfaces so it's generally hard work even though from a fitness point of view fatigue isn't an issue.

Much, much prefer to have a footy involved and then happy to run hard all night.

I can definitely see the appeal, but for me it's not something I enjoy too much. I prefer going to a basketball court for an hour than going for a run.

Any organised sport is much more fun to simply running. The difficult part is organising the sport. Would love to play some pick-up once a week but none of my mates are really into basketball. One of the best things about working full-time as a teacher was playing pick-up with the year 10 and 11 boys once a week on Thursdays. It was a pretty even match up as I have a technically sound shot but never really played and these guys were as tall as me and almost as strong. Ended up turning into teachers vs. students every Thursday. Great fun and great workout.

Can't really do that now I'm casual.

Used to run on pavement all the time when I was at uni but I don't do that anymore. Much more conscious of the effect it could be having on my knees. The hardness on your knees is so noticeable if you run on concrete, then run on grass. Even going from concrete to bitumen is drastic.

Best thing my high school PE teacher ever did for us was make us do the cross country training at the start of the period, then the rest of the period play indoor soccer. Everyone was heaps keen to play soccer so we belted out the cross country course in quick time.

You can be a good distance runner without being particularly ripped. That is where I was at in my peak. Could run for ages, but still had a bit of extra flab on me. I was around 77kgs at 178cms, so I was definitely not skinny (not big either).

Just get a walkman and listen to tunes, don't run along the road, even I get bored doing that and I love running. Find a forest path, find some hills, mix your circuits up, and set yourself little challenges. You will probably find yourself loving running after a few weeks of consistent improvement.

I spent well over 250 games of local footy running at the one pace!!
Hated sprints but preferred them to the flog coaches I had who thought a 400 was relevant to footy, I never once ran a 400 sprint in a game !!
In the years I coached I always made sure the players had a footy in their hands and were bouncing it as they ran , whatever distance we did in pre season ( no 400's though !!)
Now that I don't play , much prefer the mountain bike to running, and no longer suffer from the Plantar Fascia problems that tormented me as a player

Why are you so petrified of silence
Here can you handle this?
Did you think about your bills, your ex, your deadlines

Or when you think you're gonna die
Or did you long for the next distraction

As if I needed any reminders of how attention deficit our society is, this thread has given me plenty.

Why do you need to be playing a game to run? Are you that sick of your own mind that you can't stand thirty minutes of just you and it together?
I sort of agree, dont listen to music when I go running, quite like the feeling where your mind has gotten to the level where all it is focusing on is keeping moving

Yep, I've always hated running. Thin as a rake but terribly averagely paced and a pretty below par tank.

The best motivator for me is other blokes. You'll always push yourself if you're surrounded by guys at training or the coach. You don't want to drop out and look soft, and having some other people will always be a good gauge of how fit you're getting (starting pre-season with 65% in front, to getting mid-way through the year and having 70% behind you).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back