Official Match Thread S20 RD1: Las Vegas Bears v East Side Hawks @ The Stadium in the Sky

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 20, ROUND 1

It's been nearly 15 years since this great league was created. There was less squabbling back then, but the centrepiece of the league was still Qooty. So, on the eve of our 20th season, we begin our reflection by looking back to when it all started.

Jan 25, 2001:

"Do you want to play a game?"

I wrote a simple QBasic game some years ago (still got it), whereby I enter team lists for a bunch of clubs, turn it into a league, and play a season.

The whole thing is based on random numbers. Therefore, anybody can play well or bad, anybody can win or lose, and all these roles can reverse themselves.

I'm suggesting that a bunch of yers get together and form some teams, give yerselves a team name, and let me know. I can create a league, play the matches (perhaps real time, at weekends) and run a season, posting results of matches here, with stats, goals, 3/2/1s, qtr by qtrs, all that sort of stuff.

I would say that any (pleasantish) name can be chosen for a team name, but try to use a sort of reasonable nickname, none of which are to be a nickname of an existing club. Well ... that's up to youse. But if yers are interested, please knock yer noggins together and submit me some teams.

Well, that's all I can give yer for now, its just a suggestion, please deliver unto me your thoughts. I'll answer any questions you have.

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

And with this, a league was born. Who was to know what this would become? A hyperactive cesspit of the best and worst that Bigfooty has to offer. Gee, we have had some great moments. There have been moments so funny that people behind screens would be in tears laughing. There have been moments so tense that the F5 button would cop a hammering. This QBasic game, which I'm so happy that Mobbs held onto, has given us all so much.

Jan 29, 2011:

As of ... (looks at watch) ... now, players can no longer simply be dobbed in. Conscription was only introduced to get the ball rolling, like getting petrol out of a 44ga drum through a hose. Now that the interest is out there, its up to teams to ASK players, and players to SIGN with a team, or to NOMINATE for the draft.

I will no longer take any part in signing on any players. It's up to you folks.

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

This was, basically, the league rules. Players were "conscripted" to the original teams. From there, "recruitment" began.

In the build up to season 1, many practice matches were played. Team KFC and the Dingoes played in the first practice match, and increased interest saw more and more teams join in on the action.

The 7th team to join the league, the SEVENTH WONDERS, won the inaugural Sweet Football Association premiership. It would be the first of many.

It was a successful first season. More than Mobbs would have dreamed of when he proposed the Sweet Football Association. He couldn't have imagined what we had now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Las Vegas Bears:
The Bears just scraped into the 8 in S19. Then they lost in week 1. They were making up the numbers. They will be looking to improve their depth to become genuine contenders this season.

All eyes will be on DemonJim who left the committee in a huff recently. Can he deliver the goods once more in S20?

East Side Hawks: The Hawks won a final last season. That was something. I suppose. But it wasn't enough.

Citroin was the biggest surprise packet. He kept his activity levels high but impressively improved in quality all through the season. The Hawks certainly hope that that continues, as Citroin is a key pillar of the club.

ODDS:
Bears- $2.20
Hawks - $1.76

Whoever has done the odds will be broke in a week, no chance the Bears don't start favourites against the Hawks, at home and have recruited WGS, Hawks lose the talisman IMS.

Bears by a few.

Whoever has done the odds will be broke in a week, no chance the Bears don't start favourites against the Hawks, at home and have recruited WGS, Hawks lose the talisman IMS.

Bears by a few.
And you wonder why we are favourites?

20 weeks of yo momma jokes is doable I think.

Your Mum is doable for 20 weeks.

Tina-Fey-giving-herself-high-five.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You call that a good beat down?

I like that you have low standards.

No I thought that was tame, I'm saying I like a good beat down, was hoping you would go on with it.

Are you going on with it? Come on, don't back down from putting the boot in, Larri.

Why isn't this Match of the Round?
Because the GF replay, minor premier VS premier is also this round.

Ours won't be the match of the round. Neutrals have little interest in an 80 point thumping. We will bury the Bears into the ground.

Ours won't be the match of the round. Neutrals have little interest in an 80 point thumping. We will bury the Bears into the ground.

The only thing you know how to bury is your head in the sand.

The Hawks are a weaker side than last season, the Bears are strong, as strong as we've ever been. Any shellackings is going to be delivered by the Bears and received with grace by the Hawks.

It's the only place I'm playing, therefore I assumed Match of the Round.

No I thought that was tame, I'm saying I like a good beat down, was hoping you would go on with it.

Are you going on with it? Come on, don't back down from putting the boot in, Larri.
IMS wears girls underwear.

I went there.

The only thing you know how to bury is your head in the sand.

The Hawks are a weaker side than last season, the Bears are strong, as strong as we've ever been. Any shellackings is going to be delivered by the Bears and received with grace by the Hawks.
That is simply untrue.

I also know how to bury the truth. And my head can also be buried in my ass, as well as in the sand.

That being said, I am very confident of a win this week. The new simming/posting team will be keen to impress me in their first outing of the season.

That is simply untrue.

I also know how to bury the truth. And my head can also be buried in my ass, as well as in the sand.

That being said, I am very confident of a win this week. The new simming/posting team will be keen to impress me in their first outing of the season.

So which Hawk teammate is now the simmer?

Bojan KantKick kick yo ass in here and taste round one and your first game*

*sorry it is against an opposition with the bantering skills of a dead dachshund.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back