"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Then we would be Luke Beveridge and the dogs. One trick ponys and garbage since

Yep, I’d take the one premiership.

Doggies are still backing bevo in as well.

Yep, I’d take the one premiership.

Doggies are still backing bevo in as well.

Right and I'm not up for sacking him yet either but I don't think last year was that impressive. Brad Scott took North to back to back prelims but hardly anyone thinks he's a good coach.

We got a jump on the comp last year, quite a few teams made GFs doing that and we weren't close. Alot of those teams immediately fell back to the pack when they were figured out and we have been figured out big time.

Lads, i know people want somebody to pay for this shambolic season, but Goodwin is not the man. I wish we had of gone for Ratten in the off season. He'd be a perfect fit. But we simply must change the coaches around Goodwin. Besides Ratten, who are some of the assistant coaches you would love in the coaches box?

We also thankfully have Misson leaving at seasons end. Does anyone have any idea on what fitness gurus are out there who would be a perfect fit? Besides some outside pace, crumbing small and maybe a key forward, the fitness guru and some fresh blood in the coaches box is what we desperately need.

Lads, i know people want somebody to pay for this shambolic season, but Goodwin is not the man. I wish we had of gone for Ratten in the off season. He'd be a perfect fit. But we simply must change the coaches around Goodwin. Besides Ratten, who are some of the assistant coaches you would love in the coaches box?

We also thankfully have Misson leaving at seasons end. Does anyone have any idea on what fitness gurus are out there who would be a perfect fit? Besides some outside pace, crumbing small and maybe a key forward, the fitness guru and some fresh blood in the coaches box is what we desperately need.

Talking assistant coaches might be the most fruitless task on big footy. There's literally no way to know if they are doing a good or bad job, there's no way to judge them at other clubs and the only way to know who the good ones are is to hear the media talk about them.

Name the assistant coaches at the current top 6 teams. Done.

Problem with changing the coach is it's a bit like changing the CEO at a large company . He has to be given time to set things up with his preferred staff, then he is usually given a period to implement his plan. So let's say a new coach gets a grace period of around 18 months. We can't wait that long ...... been there done that with Neeld etc. I'd say now that Goodwin has his contract he needs to sort this mess out. That could mean staff changes, player changes and game style changes He is not being paid to implement a plan that is set in stone without allowing for contingencies. Okay Simon ...now is the time to draw on some of your contingency planning. I fear that as the Bulldogs had a Premiership hangover, ours is a Prelim hangover. Agree lots of these players think they are better than they are. Many are too slow, will not chase or run, will not man up and might think they earned their stripes last year. So maybe we back Goodwin on the proviso he pulls his finger out and does something rather than feeding us bulls&&t at the After Match Press Conference each week. Finishing at the bottom of the ladder and getting a couple of good draft picks will not solve the problem .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Talking assistant coaches might be the most fruitless task on big footy. There's literally no way to know if they are doing a good or bad job, there's no way to judge them at other clubs and the only way to know who the good ones are is to hear the media talk about them.

Ok. You could just not respond if you have no idea who's any good.

Ratten, Caracella and Harvey would be top of the list. But can any be shaken free at season's end? Ratten just signed, and the other two are coaching at big clubs. I like Caracella in particular because he's in charge of the midfield spread which is where we are lacking. With a few injections into our midfield, he would be my number 1 target. Maybe a Hodge or Lewis could be an idea for next year? Clearly we will make changes, so we should be circling some names right now..

I dont want Goodwin sacked yet but would want to make changes in the coaches box and see him with all the cattle first. but people saying we cant cause itll cost $2m to pay him out need to realise by the time next year swings around the club would have hoped to have atleast 10k more members which at an average of $200 is your $2m. plus people not showing up it costs a hell of alot more to start going backwards to us now. if Goody is the problem we are ****ed. But yeah last years pre season ****ed us and once again so did Misson.
Our game plan must be built around our top 25 which is nothing like the top clubs who have a game plan the whole list can play but stars add to it. Needs to change for us cant rely solely on our best to win if it doesnt change by time round 1 swings around then the heat needs to come on Goodwin

I dont want Goodwin sacked yet but would want to make changes in the coaches box and see him with all the cattle first. but people saying we cant cause itll cost $2m to pay him out need to realise by the time next year swings around the club would have hoped to have atleast 10k more members which at an average of $200 is your $2m. plus people not showing up it costs a hell of alot more to start going backwards to us now. if Goody is the problem we are ******. But yeah last years pre season ****** us and once again so did Misson.
Our game plan must be built around our top 25 which is nothing like the top clubs who have a game plan the whole list can play but stars add to it. Needs to change for us cant rely solely on our best to win if it doesnt change by time round 1 swings around then the heat needs to come on Goodwin

Yeah we ain't getting 10k more members. We made a prelim last year and what was the jump? A couple k maybe. A new coach won't bring 10k members especially if it's a slow start

Who cares what the turnover is? Don't we add like ~200k profit a year at best?

Right, I'll put it this way. Gate receipts in 2017 were $5.37M and gate receipts in 2018 were $6.18M, so the difference between a good season and a meh season was about $800k in people walking through the gate alone. What are we going to pull in this year if we keep doing what we're doing? How badly will the attendances drop off? For reference our 2015 and 2016 gate receipts were $3.73M and $4.59M, respectively. I hope we won't quite drop that low again but it looks like there's more than a $2M swing in revenue between bad and good seasons if accounting for a few years inflation.

This is about comparing the cost of getting rid of them to the cost of keeping them on. The joy of Gary Pert or whoever's job is that they'll be kicked pillar to post for their decision no matter what they do because hindsight is 20/20. The fact that Goody will cost us to get rid of him shouldn't stop us ******* him off if it turns out he's not the bloke to take us forward. Imagine Neeld had a four year contract and you were making the same argument - keep him on for another few years until its cheaper to turf him or do something about the problem now? I'll go the latter, thanks.

Right, I'll put it this way. Gate receipts in 2017 were $5.37M and gate receipts in 2018 were $6.18M, so the difference between a good season and a meh season was about $800k in people walking through the gate alone. What are we going to pull in this year if we keep doing what we're doing? How badly will the attendances drop off? For reference our 2015 and 2016 gate receipts were $3.73M and $4.59M, respectively. I hope we won't quite drop that low again but it looks like there's more than a $2M swing in revenue between bad and good seasons if accounting for a few years inflation.

This is about comparing the cost of getting rid of them to the cost of keeping them on. The joy of Gary Pert or whoever's job is that they'll be kicked pillar to post for their decision no matter what they do because hindsight is 20/20. The fact that Goody will cost us to get rid of him shouldn't stop us ******* him off if it turns out he's not the bloke to take us forward. Imagine Neeld had a four year contract and you were making the same argument - keep him on for another few years until its cheaper to turf him or do something about the problem now? I'll go the latter, thanks.

Still don't reckon it would happen till the end of next year and we would have to be filthier. Plus the next coach could be worse. Frankly money aside if we start badly next year id sack him and Gary Pert for that dumb contract

Still don't reckon it would happen till the end of next year and we would have to be filthier. Plus the next coach could be worse. Frankly money aside if we start badly next year id sack him and Gary Pert for that dumb contract

Might be right, just pointing out that it could be cheaper to sack him now long contract or not, is all. No one is sure where we're at - I recall when Neeld was still boobing around, most weren't too sure (A11dAtP0w3R aside) whether he was a potato or not until we saw that footage of him murdering the team with words on that Friday night game v Essendon.

This season might be a write-off but if Goody and his posse can't come up with a coherent alternative game plan or make this one work with the cattle at his disposal between now and the end of the year, I think that's enough time to justify making some sweeping changes in the coaching department.

I was actually quite pleased with his coaching against the Tigers.

He actually showed that he’s prepared to move away from the usual game plan for once.

Brought in some leg speed, threw McDonald behind the ball and didn’t press high up the ground so we weren’t beaten on the rebound.

Richmond were the better side but playing a slow defensive model allowed us to be within 2 goals until the last quarter.

I don’t want us to play like that all the time, but it was the right time to deploy a new method and I think he got it right. We are out of form and just beaten by a better team - he made some good structural decisions this week (and it’s about time).

Yeah we ain't getting 10k more members. We made a prelim last year and what was the jump? A couple k maybe. A new coach won't bring 10k members especially if it's a slow start
We wanted to get over 50k this year and then obviously next year would have been 55k goal. With this start and poxy game plan no s**t we arent getting 10k more. Im just saying if it is Goodwin who is the problem he is gonna cost us more than $2m anyway. Im agreeing he wont be gone this year had too much go wrong especially with injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually quite pleased with his coaching against the Tigers.

He actually showed that he’s prepared to move away from the usual game plan for once.

Brought in some leg speed, threw McDonald behind the ball and didn’t press high up the ground so we weren’t beaten on the rebound.

Richmond were the better side but playing a slow defensive model allowed us to be within 2 goals until the last quarter.

I don’t want us to play like that all the time, but it was the right time to deploy a new method and I think he got it right. We are out of form and just beaten by a better team - he made some good structural decisions this week (and it’s about time).

All he did was take Paul Roos 2014 game plan an do it in 2019. Its a completely unsustainable brand.

Legspeed, meh.
Lockhart had 8 disposals and 3 tackles
Hunt had 7 disposals and 1 tackle
Garlett had 12 disposals 3 tackles

We literally brought in a bunch of quick guys then played a slow style of footy.

All he did was take Paul Roos 2014 game plan an do it in 2019. Its a completely unsustainable brand.

Legspeed, meh.

We literally brought in a bunch of quick guys then played a slow style of footy.
Plus if ya playing those 3 they should all be in and around d50 helping out then running in a wave forward like every other team does to us

Legspeed, meh.

That is why it is too simple when people say we need leg speed. Leg speed is useless if the players don't get the ball in their hands, are poor users of the ball or don't work defensively.

That is why it is too simple when people say we need leg speed. Leg speed is useless if the players don't get the ball in their hands, are poor users of the ball or don't work defensively.

I couldnt agree anymore with you.
Moving the ball quickly involves running in waves, no point if they are all isolated.

If we finished 9th but played to a tight structure, were competitive in all areas but had a swathe of injuries that were fatal to any premiership chances then I’d be happy to keep him. If we finished 4th with a soft draw but still couldn’t win on the G, still faltered in big games and still had a terribly, inefficient structure, then yes.
Finals aren’t the be all and end all, if we had somehow won the Port and Essendon games playing the same style I’d be just as concerned at 3-3 as I am at 1-5.
Finals are the be all and end all, particularly for a club that has played twice since 2006. Last year we had a strong period of football for about a month early on, then tapered off, then managed to put a month together and make a PF final, but that form and that effort is light years away from where we are now.

We are a genuine bottom 4 outfit alongside Sydney, North and Carlton. We are an awful team with no structure and no plan B. We’ve loaded up on this game plan but it’s been worked out so easily that we need something else very quickly. 2019 is done. Forget finals. If we don’t have anything new by 2020 then Goodwin isn’t up to it.

If we finished 9th but played to a tight structure, were competitive in all areas but had a swathe of injuries that were fatal to any premiership chances then I’d be happy to keep him. If we finished 4th with a soft draw but still couldn’t win on the G, still faltered in big games and still had a terribly, inefficient structure, then yes.
Finals aren’t the be all and end all, if we had somehow won the Port and Essendon games playing the same style I’d be just as concerned at 3-3 as I am at 1-5.
Finals are the be all and end all, particularly for a club that has played twice since 2006. Last year we had a strong period of football for about a month early on, then tapered off, then managed to put a month together and make a PF final, but that form and that effort is light years away from where we are now.

We are a genuine bottom 4 outfit alongside Sydney, North and Carlton. We are an awful team with no structure and no plan B. We’ve loaded up on this game plan but it’s been worked out so easily that we need something else very quickly. 2019 is done. Forget finals. If we don’t have anything new by 2020 then Goodwin isn’t up to it.

Give him another pre season to get the players fit, restructure the game plan.

Its just way to early to pull the pin, there is no guarantee a replacement coming will do a better job.

The footy landscape has changed the last 3 years, clubs are giving coaches more faith.
I agree to an extent with giving them more time. Roos took over in 2014 and had to put a list together capable of challenging, he did that. Goodwin needs to go the next step. Addressing certain issues during the off season didn’t seem to work given the way we’ve been playing and given our structure.

I think this year is written off, but the focus should now be not finishing bottom 4. If we are in this position after round 6 2020 then he needs to be sacked on the spot.

You're going to have that transition period anyway with a new coach, so why delay it? The aim should be to get the club heading in the right direction as soon as possible. If it turns out Crazy Goody is not the right man for the gig, we're better off ripping the bandaid off sooner rather than later. Issue is we're not sure whether he is the man for the gig or not.

That's if you look at this season in isolation. We haven't played consistently well for much of the time he's been here; was always a struggle to be a week-to-week four quarter team. We had a few good runs of form last year, but have also failed to launch plenty of times when the biscuits were on the line. The doubts aren't all based on this start of this season.
You want everyone sacked ha ha! You are now christened Trump82.

Who cares what the turnover is? Don't we add like ~200k profit a year at best?
Yeah but the clubs are set up to spend what they earn. I’m pretty sure they have not for profit status

Wrong. The most fruitless task on bigfooty is reading the endless posts about the Hogan May trade.

You want everyone sacked ha ha! You are now christened Trump82.

If you read back, you'll see that it was a discussion about not worrying about the contract length if the club decides Goodwin isn't up to it.

The only people I currently want sacked are you and Milkshakes.

Yeah but the clubs are set up to spend what they earn. I’m pretty sure they have not for profit status

I already moved on from the financial thing, I dont care if we have a large back balance I care if we have to cut back on spending in development and coaching because we blew all our money.

Theres a soft cap on spending, so if we sack Goodwin and go over the soft cap you have to pay even more in tax.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back