Opinion Sacrifice the AFL for a VFL Flag (poll added)?

Should we sacrifice the senior side to benefit the VFL side in their finals tilt?

• Yes: Cloke, Williams, etc are probably gone so why not keep them in the twos to play finals?

Votes: 43 43.0%
  • No: If a senior player deserves a call up, he plays seniors, no matter what happens in the VFL.

Votes: 57 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope he loves the club and Buckley.
If premiership in the next two years, he can be part of it still.
l hope so maggie but it does not good though

Nope he loves the club and Buckley.
If premiership in the next two years, he can be part of it still.

Okay but I did find he was lot more Influential today then he been in the AFL for a Few Weeks before hand

Okay but I did find he was lot more Influential today then he been in the AFL for a Few Weeks before hand
IMO. Cloke is ageing but still has skills. Better as a back man perhaps. Tarrant went away and played back for many years before coming home and playing a great stint in defence. White is actually good for small 6 minute stints in the ruck swapping with Grundy. Cox as backup Moore and Reid forward. Sidebottom & Pendlebury at their feet and let the young blokes like Wills, dg Jong tayz and crisp find their feet in the midfield

IMO. Cloke is ageing but still has skills. Better as a back man perhaps. Tarrant went away and played back for many years before coming home and playing a great stint in defence. White is actually good for small 6 minute stints in the ruck swapping with Grundy. Cox as backup Moore and Reid forward. Sidebottom & Pendlebury at their feet and let the young blokes like Wills, dg Jong tayz and crisp find their feet in the midfield

Way to late in his Career to send Cloke back. I agree he could of been a Really Good Defender

Way to late in his Career to send Cloke back. I agree he could of been a Really Good Defender
I can just imagine his booming left foot giving Moore and co the maximum chance......anyway, at least we do have a side to follow during the finals albeit our seconds. Good luck to them. At least some of the younger guys get further development

Home QF? Aren't all VFL finals played at TEAC Oval Port Melbourne (or whatever its now called) regardless of the competing teams?

Top 2 earn the right to a home QF. Elimination, semi and prelim finals are played at North Port. Grand Final will be at Docklands.

In reality, we're only dealing with a couple of players here. In simple terms, Cloke has to stay out of the senior side for the final fortnight to lock in his eligibility, while Oxley just has to make one last pit-stop in the 2nds to achieve his (or act as carry-over emergency in either of the final two weeks).

The bulk of a likely team to make a tilt at the flag is already locked away, awaiting a return once the AFL is done, Davoren notwithstanding. Names like Goldsack, Marsh, Wills, Crocker and Phillips. Adding the names Cloke and Oxley to their ranks is a tempting thought. Of course, I personally hold that we shouldn't even be having this conversation about one player in particular, but that's another bar room brawl altogether...

Really, the only player we're realistically talking about tactically omitting is Oxley. And even then, you don't actually have to drop him if you don't want to (well, not really). Cloke, on the other hand, could be set the task of leading a group of young turks in September as one last chance to prove just how much he wants to be a one club player...

I should note though, that if yesterday is any indication, then this VFL team could almost get by through the next fortnight with what it currently has available on spirit alone, without mucking around with eligibility stuff. When we shot ourselves in the foot in the 2nd quarter (and at intervals after that), we dug deep and found a way to win a close one again, after having it mostly our way for the better part of 6 weeks. Much of that heavy lifting was done by the VFL boys, so often overlooked.

And for those who scoff at the idea of lower level success, I would remind you that a conscious decision in 1986 to keep a cadre of young Magpies down in the Under 19s to win that particular flag helped spark a revival that four years later would lead to the Promised Land at long last...

Last edited:
Nope. The VFL should always been seen as the development league. AFL should always be the priority no matter what.

Maybe if the club had that vision our AFL performances would be better instead of wasting resources into a netball and women's team/whatever else the club wants to spend money in instead of paying the football tax to actually help our main business.

no idea cannot remember myself. for the majority of the listed group who are going to be here next year
it is all about senior footy and form. the vfl boys it would be huge for them no doubt and some thing for them to remember
but it is all about the senior team for me
2003 with Williamstown.

Wrapped that one up and didn't bother showing for the AFL GF the next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slight error in Paul's calculations. Trav has played his minimum six. It's just the 'one more AFL' thing he has to get around...

Slight error in Paul's calculations. Trav has played his minimum six. It's just the 'one more AFL' thing he has to get around...

and Then makes it a Stupid Rule. It should only be how many VFL Games they play. Nothing to do with how many AFL Games

and Then makes it a Stupid Rule. It should only be how many VFL Games they play. Nothing to do with how many AFL Games

It's designed this way so clubs don't go packing their VFL teams with too much AFL-listed talent.

Cloke will leave Collingwood after playing in a flag side. It will be hard to watch him play for another club next year.
He is still contracted, no way he can be traded if he doesn't want to .

Heath Shaw was contracted.
So was Beams and so was Witts. If players want to move, they will. If they want to stay, that can be arranged too. No doubt that in Shaw case the club wasn't happy for him to stay and so Shaw agreed . Don't think it is that bad yet in Cloke's case.

Back