Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

An hour after the game and still no review thread? I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Nick Riewoldt should go straight into the AFL Hall of Fame as a legend. What a performance, just absolutely dominating.

White had a very solid debut, looked at home at the top level, and topped it off with a huge goal. Dare I say he was almost prime BJ like?

Acres was a write off at the start of the year. Geary was a battler who wasn't really best 22. Wright was guaranteed to be delisted. It's significantly pleasing to have those guys prove us all wrong.

My personal highlight was making eye contact with Jade Gresham. I think I might be pregnant now, though.

First off, the (minor) disappointments:
  • Not handing the Lions the spoon
  • Not denying Essendope the first pick in the drafts
  • Not quite 10 for Roo
  • Weller's kicking
That said, here's what I loved
  • The crowd lighting up with the Roo show
  • Everyone getting around White after his first
  • Holmesy's tapwork
  • Roberton's delivery into 50
  • The non-stop attack all game
  • The wise move to ice Geary
  • The giggles from Gilbo getting a 100 metre penalty and converting
  • A great finish for the year
  • The Roo show

LEADING GOALKICKERS
1. Tim Membrey - 44 goals (17 games) - 2.59 per game
2. Nick Riewoldt - 41 goals (21 games) - 1.95 per game
3. Josh Bruce - 38 goals (22 games) - 1.72 per game
4. Mav Weller - 24 goals (22 games) - 1.09 per game
5. Jack Newnes - 15 goals (22 games) - 0.68 per game
6. Paddy McCartin - 14 goals (11 games) - 1.27 per game
7. Jack Steven - 14 goals (22 games) - 0.63 per game
8. Jade Gresham - 11 goals (18 games) - 0.61 per game
9. David Armitage - 11 goals (22 games) - 0.5 per game
10. Jack Lonie - 10 goals (10 games) - 1 per game

First off, the (minor) disappointments:
  • Not handing the Lions the spoon
  • Not denying Essendope the first pick in the drafts
  • Not quite 10 for Roo
  • Weller's kicking
That said, here's what I loved
  • The crowd lighting up with the Roo show
  • Everyone getting around White after his first
  • Holmesy's tapwork
  • Roberton's delivery into 50
  • The non-stop attack all game
  • The wise move to ice Geary
  • The giggles from Gilbo getting a 100 metre penalty and converting
  • A great finish for the year
  • The Roo show

At the ground it sounded like Geary snapped a collar bone of rib. It made a shocking noise.

In one way it was an ugly game, but I thought it was a really fun game with both sides scoring highly and Rooey's bag, and the margin stuff about the spoon. Essendon either missing number one pick, or finishing last was a win-win situation.
Hopefully Geary is all right.

Was impressed by White, and Roberton was immense.
Riewoldt was another level to everyone else on the field.

From Brisbane, I really liked Mathieson's game. And Rockliff was prolific.

Good game to finish the season with.

I cannot doff my hat enough to Roo.
There is absolutely no way he should not be captain ( or at least co captain) next year. You do not take the captaincy away from a legend.
I took a young American friend from Chicago to the game today, and aside from being amazed at Holmes playing our game, she was blown away by Roo and I told her how privileged she was to watch such a champion perform like that today.
As are all of us. Jeez, I love the guy.

bLake Acres did some really impressive things today again to further reinforce him as a future champion, White's first game was super impressive and Mc Kenzie goes from strength to strength, Lonie showing some of last years signs. Some good signs for the future. Ross and Newnes are now very steady senior players who match it with anyone at this level etc. Some good signs. Billings handy without being amazing, Steven a bit down on his very best but just kept going. We were not going flat out either.

Acres looked like a greased up eel when he slipped out of two tackles in the middle of the ground then put it inside 50, it was nuts

He looks like he has disdain for tacklers. He just walks out of tackles like they were a minor inconvenience and keeps running, he's getting his confidence up by the match. At some point he'll be Fyfe like IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was an important game he would've gone back out there, he's a hard bastard

Yep him and Wright are hard as *. The two toughest guys on the team and both built like match sticks.

Nice way to cap off a really good year. Roo was simply amazing, shout out to Roberton also. His field kicking was elite today. Coughed 1 up coming out of the backline, but generally was outstanding. Just love it when a bloke lowers their eyes and spots up the leading forward, he has really turned it around after a pretty poor patch in the middle of the year.

Really happy with McKenzie's game, is a best 22 player for mine. Would like to see Webster play further up the ground next year and keep McKenzie in the side. Has all the right traits, speed, tough, decent user and probably a bit more accountable than Jimmy.

Nice way to cap off a really good year. Roo was simply amazing, shout out to Roberton also. His field kicking was elite today. Coughed 1 up coming out of the backline, but generally was outstanding. Just love it when a bloke lowers their eyes and spots up the leading forward, he has really turned it around after a pretty poor patch in the middle of the year.

Really happy with McKenzie's game, is a best 22 player for mine. Would like to see Webster play further up the ground next year and keep McKenzie in the side. Has all the right traits, speed, tough, decent user and probably a bit more accountable than Jimmy.

Yeah, Webster has to develop into a wingman I reckon. He has lost his spot to DMac and White and Rice are coming too. Webster much more suited to a less disciplined role.

Roo is a genuine freak. Now easily number 2 behind Plugger at our club. Obviously the game was crap and no pressure but 21 marks is amazing even in C grade Ammos. Not much to be said about the others because it was a practice match but one thing I will say I know will cop it but I don't care. Jack Billings is not that good. I thought he may become our best player this year but he is very outside. That outside he may end up in the crown soon. I hink the club need to look at his value and if it is good then maybe he is on the trade table. I know I will cop iy for this but I am just so disappointed and the crowd around me was exactly the same and that is the truth. Having said that what a year from the club. 12 wins. Its nearly the stuff of dreams.

LEADING GOALKICKERS
1. Tim Membrey - 44 goals (17 games) - 2.59 per game
2. Nick Riewoldt - 41 goals (21 games) - 1.95 per game
3. Josh Bruce - 38 goals (22 games) - 1.72 per game
4. Mav Weller - 24 goals (22 games) - 1.09 per game
5. Jack Newnes - 15 goals (22 games) - 0.68 per game
6. Paddy McCartin - 14 goals (11 games) - 1.27 per game
7. Jack Steven - 14 goals (22 games) - 0.63 per game
8. Jade Gresham - 11 goals (18 games) - 0.61 per game
9. David Armitage - 11 goals (22 games) - 0.5 per game
10. Jack Lonie - 10 goals (10 games) - 1 per game

Forward line is shaping up to be really dangerous. On a side note, I didn't realise that Newnes had kicked that many goals. Just looked it up and he has had 12 goal assists as well. That is damn handy from a bank flank. In contrast, Billings has kicked 6 goals and given off 10 goal assists for the year playing nearly 100% of the year in the forward line. It's a horrible return for a player of his ability. Needs to get the ball in more dangerous spots, his contribution has been overstated due to the fact we look for him as the outlet player. As a result, he racks up 20+ possession games pretty easily and you mistakenly think he has been okay. Unfortunately, he has not impacted games all year. There has literally not been 1 moment this year where I have said "Wow, Billings is starting to dominate this game". I have thought that about every other young player at some stage during the year.

Needs a massive pre-season. If he can become a 30+ goal kicker, 30+ goal assist type player or even match Weller's output this year, our forward line looks pretty scary next year.

White is more aggressive then I thought and I loved that they gave him kicking out responsibilities in his first game. I thought the biggest positive of the day was Mckenzie's game. 18 disposals at 100% effiencey. He took a number of strong intercept marks and always keeps the game going forward. He's best 22 for mine next year. I don't like to be negative and I still have great hopes for the kid but billings is really struggling. I know he had 23 disposals but how many of them were damaging kicks. He seems to lost his best weapon which was going for them bullet like passes. He had no influence on the game whatsoever. Hopefully another big preseason will see him get fitter and stronger and gain some confidence back. Go saints

Huge thumbs up to Daniel McKenzie who didn't set a foot wrong all day. :thumbsu:

Defended brilliantly and then gave us plenty of run and dash going forward. He really looked comfortable out there today.

His speed, marking and clean hands were outstanding. He's improved his timing and composure and looked at home out there. He's sped past Webster at the moment. White and DMac looked great together, similar sized players both quick and very committed to their role. White's composure was a bit rushed at times but has a few really good qualities.

Geez Dmac was good today. Didn't put a foot wrong and is really starting to use his speed and become more damaging.
He has huge upside.
I suspect at the end of it all the comparisons to Touk Miller might vindicate Trout's call.

I have to admit I was worried last year, I couldn't see how he was going to get past plenty of guys in front of him. I completely got it wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back