Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I could never be accused of being serious. It's just annoying that if you have a go at a player you want him traded or you have called him a dud or about 8 other untruthful things. I want jack to a be a star but he has some bad habits. No use saying look at others who have become stars or are on their way because for all of them there are probably triple who haven't. The amount we spent on him is important too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love you to tell us what his bad habits are Plugs?

Love you to tell us what his bad habits are Plugs?

Pretty easy imo. He picks and chooses when to go. That was never a problem with Ross who seems to be the get out for all other young players. I want jack to be as for us as Isaac smith not Adam fiora who by the still played a lot of footy. Not worried by jacks kicking as we know he can kick but really worried about the attack on the ball in some circumstances. Every player has different strengths but the one thing they need to do is go at the ball every single time. Jack can and will improve. It's up to him to decide how much. He has got most skills covered but so did fiora. And can I say I am a huge fan of billings. Thought he would be our most important player this year. Won't even make the top 15 in the b and f

We took Billings at pick 3. If the draft was done again today who would be ahead of him?

Bont
Merrett
Cripps
???
Kelly maybe??

Thats all ive got off the top of my head. So we used pick 3 to select the current 4th or 5th best player from the draft and people are upset? Yes we wish he was as good as those guys right now but how many teams would have taken the punt on Bont? How many passed on Merrett?

How many would have taken Luke Dunstan top 10 at the end of his first season? How many would have turfed Blake Acres?

Pick 3 for Billings is fine. No, he isnt as good as his peers are right now but he is tracking nicely and has plenty of room for development.

Personally Id like to see him played as a forward more often and get some goals under his belt. Let Skunk and Paddy crash some packs while Billings gets the crumbs.

4 short seasons ago we'd just beaten Carlton & the most promising youngsters that we had on the list were Siposs & Curren.

Now we're worried about JB only getting 20 touches & being a bit scrappy with his kicking.

It's been an amazing effort in rebuilding this club from Finnis, Richo, Bains, Elshaug & The Pelican.

I have absolutely no concerns about JB at all...he's shown that he's a match winner & while we'd all love him to be doing that week in week out, he's still a season short of developing consistency in his game.

The vitriol that some supporters are starting to throw his way is embarrassing.

4 short seasons ago we'd just beaten Carlton & the most promising youngsters that we had on the list were Siposs & Curren.

Now we're worried about JB only getting 20 touches & being a bit scrappy with his kicking.

It's been an amazing effort in rebuilding this club from Finnis, Richo, Bains, Elshaug & The Pelican.

I have absolutely no concerns about JB at all...he's shown that he's a match winner & while we'd all love him to be doing that week in week out, he's still a season short of developing consistency in his game.

The vitriol that some supporters are starting to throw his way is embarrassing.

Havent read to much vitriol. Read people discussing his progress and some weaknesses. Surely we are allowed to do that as long as what we say makes sense. I reckon using Ross as the get out doesn't make that much sense either. Why don't people discuss the problems mentioned instead of saying lets not worry because Ross improved. I can assure I wasn't the only one worried yesterday. Many it was many around me expressed their worry yesterday and they weren't with me. Never seen any of them before.

Havent read to much vitriol. Read people discussing his progress and some weaknesses. Surely we are allowed to do that as long as what we say makes sense. I reckon using Ross as the get out doesn't make that much sense either. Why don't people discuss the problems mentioned instead of saying lets not worry because Ross improved. I can assure I wasn't the only one worried yesterday. Many it was many around me expressed their worry yesterday and they weren't with me. Never seen any of them before.

Yup. Ironically the vitriol is directed at those discussing Billings weaknesses & not Billings.

I saw a bit of Port Adelaide when they shot back up the ladder in them today. They just ran everyone off their feet. Perhaps Richo was the architect.

Journos in Adelaide have alluded to that on more than one occasion.
Kudos to Richo....from spooners to missing the 8 on percentage in just two years. He has been a huge win for us.

He seems like a very nice young guy too so probably all very happy for him. Seeing that Stringer's personality keeps him out of the seniors our recruiting good guys seems to be a good strategy.

Remember that great video of him in tears with his family when we drafted him? I think we have another very good young man here.

I can remember my brother who is a Blues fan pissing himself when WCE took Josh Kennedy as part of the Judd trade. He was saying the same thing, others came on quicker and he was spudding it up still 3 years into his career I like to remind him of it every now and then. Some players take longer, there is no set length of time it takes to develop a player.

Look, my view on Billings is this. He has some nice skills, he will probably develop into a very good finisher but I don't think he is going to be a star....probably a Blair type player. So we could hold on to him.

But where is he right now? A player on the fringe who seems overawed/outclassed at this level. Has lost the one weapon he had, his elite kicking skills (or they simply don't look elite at this level). On top of that he is very injury prone, his legs are not very sound.

But he is a number 3 pick and many in the AFL, including many in here, believe in him. To me, right now he carries good cache. He would be highly regarded in a trade. Number 10 and billings would get you something very good.

If he turns in another year like this one next year, his trade value will be significantly diminished. If there was the opportunity to get an A grade mid with A Billings package I would be happy for the club to look at it.

Sort himself out?
Averaging over 20 touches in his 3rd year after decent injuries.
JB will be alright.
He's getting plenty of the ball which is good I just thought some of his disposal yesterday could've been a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was good to see Membrey come off the wing and into the center clearance area - he looked at home there and has really sure hands. A great way for him to shake a tight backman and maybe something worth persevering with.

Look, my view on Billings is this. He has some nice skills, he will probably develop into a very good finisher but I don't think he is going to be a star....probably a Blair type player. So we could hold on to him.

But where is he right now? A player on the fringe who seems overawed/outclassed at this level. Has lost the one weapon he had, his elite kicking skills (or they simply don't look elite at this level). On top of that he is very injury prone, his legs are not very sound.

But he is a number 3 pick and many in the AFL, including many in here, believe in him. To me, right now he carries good cache. He would be highly regarded in a trade. Number 10 and billings would get you something very good.

If he turns in another year like this one next year, his trade value will be significantly diminished. If there was the opportunity to get an A grade mid with A Billings package I would be happy for the club to look at it.

Blair type???? Are you kidding me or what.

Whites goal!

I found it hilarious that only one player didn't run straight for him and that was Dempster who waited for White to make his way back to defence to congratulate him. Typifies the smarts that he has, don't waste energy unnecessarily!

He's probably a bit better than Blair but he looks to me to be that type of player. What I am really saying is he does not look to me to be a Merrett or Kelly type of player.

Both of those have had three complete injury free AFL seasons. Billings games v Collingwood and Hawthorn are the level he will play at when fit.

Exactly right. People have different opinions. In terms of Billings, it is easy to see why people have a wide range of opinions - expectations are high and the benchmarks his peers have set are high.

I have followed the Saints for 52 years, I have seen every grand final they have played in since 1970 and I have watched as Saints supporters, particularly in the 80s, adopted the culture of following the player, not the club. You see this at many clubs starved of success - you see it notably now at Dees and Dogs where the supporters fiercely defend and over rate their individual players.

Over the years I have become much more pragmatic about players. I was shattered when Lockett left but quickly realised that that sort of event can change the fortunes of a club. We saw it again with Dal and Goddard and McEvoy leaving.

To me, if a player has good currency but does not look like being what the club though he would be, then you use that to potentially get the right player to the club. That is not to say I am a Billings hater, just that as a player I think he has flaws that I think mean he will not be the player we need.

You might disagree, that is fine.

So tired of the Billings bashing ....Going by previous threads, people on this forum would've traded Hickey, Ross, Acres etc. Let's allow the players to develop in their time .

Both of those have had three complete injury free AFL seasons. Billings games v Collingwood and Hawthorn are the level he will play at when fit.

Injuries may impact how fit a player is or limit them to some extent but IMHO I have seen enough of Billings to know the type of player he is, in fact he is exactly the same type of player today that he was in the TAC Cup, perhaps does not go for as many marks as he did in juniors. A full pre-season may add a bit to his tank but it is not going to change his onfield personality.

It was good to see Membrey come off the wing and into the center clearance area - he looked at home there and has really sure hands. A great way for him to shake a tight backman and maybe something worth persevering with.

His got a fair bit of spring in his step doesn't he, alot faster then i thought he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back