News Saints in Colorado

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
We're off to Boulder, Colorado, for a two week high altitude camp.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sa...ning-in-colorado/story-fnelctok-1226461147430

"The high performance camp will be held from November 27 to December 11 at University of Colorado in Boulder, at the foot of the Rocky Mountains.
"The university has one of the most renowned athletic programs in the state. There's some benefits we're keen to explore with them," Watters said.
"There is also the benefits of altitude training alone and we will use it as a catalyst to enable altitude training to become a significant part of our program beyond Colorado.
"There will be some opportunities for some resilience training ... testing some of the boundaries of our players.
"We also don't want to forget the football component of what we do."
The trip will be jointly funded by St Kilda and private sponsors...."

Great news I reckon and especially good news that we don't have to foot the whole bill for it, as spots on the trip have been made available for a price to those who sponsor the club, or who just want to have a close up experience inside the inner sanctum on a training camp. According to the AFL.com website the playing and coaching staff's will also be footing some of the bill.

I've been quite surprised that more teams haven't followed the lead of Collingwood and am glad that we are one of the first to do so. Bring it on! :) :thumbsu:

0010.jpg

The University of Colorado.

Another very very positive step in the development process going on at St Kilda. Definitely on the right track

Boulder Colorado always makes me think of The Stand, I am sure hoping Gary Sinise is coming to save the day!

http://sainters.net/corporate/colorado.php

Share the Boulder Experience

On November 27, 2012, the St Kilda Football Club will undertake a high-altitude training camp in Boulder, Colorado.

We would like to extend an exclusive invitation for you to join us on this once in a lifetime trip.

While the importance of this trip is in no doubt to the Club, without your help it will not be possible.

THE COLORADO EXPERIENCE INCLUDES:
  • Return airfares to Boulder, Colorado
  • 14 nights accommodation at the Millennium Harvest Hotel, Boulder
  • All meals, transfers, activity program & tour guides
  • Visits to Elite Sporting Organisations
  • Denver Broncos NFL Experience
  • Official St Kilda Football Club training apparel
  • Access all areas inner sanctum experience
  • Strictly limited packages range from $17,000 to $25,000
    A proportion of this amount is tax deductible through the Australian Sports Fundation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/...r-to-collingwood/story-e6frfkp9-1226504645035

While training at 1650m will improve the players' endurance and repeat-effort capacity, Simon Kearney will also examine sleep programs and conduct blood analysis.

Bill Davoren said ... the expectation was to follow up with training sessions in the club's Seaford altitude chamber throughout season 2013.

"We might try to get some people into the altitude room a couple of times a week during the season, but that varies depending on their loads and fatigue and those sorts of things."

The club's 2012 draftees and its injured players will take part in the camp. Lenny Hayes ... will also make the trip.

"He's certainly going on the trip," Davoren said. "Look there'll certainly be some modifications around Lenny, and that will be driven by the medical team, but the aim is that he'll be taking part in a number of the activities with us.

St Kilda's pre-season begins with the young players training on the day before the Melbourne Cup, and the older players resuming on November 12.

Really excited about all the off field things the saints are doing at the moment hopefully it translates into on field success. If anyone has a contact at the club could they please ask them to get a couple of players to do a blog about their time over there maybe roo, dempster, and a young gun like stevens or sipposs and maybe even a supporter who has paid to go over with them

Just saying, training at altitude will give you no advantage AT ALL unless you train at altitude for at least 3 months, and even then you lose the advantages in a couple of months.

Just saying, training at altitude will give you no advantage AT ALL unless you train at altitude for at least 3 months, and even then you lose the advantages in a couple of months.

We do have an altitude room available at the saints facilities. That can be used to maintain the initial boost from Colorado.

Incorrect. I think the main advantage will be the teamwork built from training in stressful high altitude conditions together. So yes there IS an advantage.

Incorrect. I think the main advantage will be the teamwork built from training in stressful high altitude conditions together. So yes there IS an advantage.
Teamwork built from training at altitude? That makes no sense. They build teamwork every time they train and play together, it makes not much of a difference were they are. When they are away from home together it would, but they could be down the beach in Victoria still, they don't have to go overseas. The reason teams train at altitude is to try to raise the number of red blood cells in their body to give them a competitive advantage. Since this isn't going to happen from 2 weeks of training, it is pointless.

Thanks Tigger.

I'll back the club, particularly if you can't accept a pretty basic point that they get the same cardio intensity with less minutes of running (lessening the strain on joints). A great way to kickstart a preseason.

Maybe you can pop over to the Lions board and let them know they don't know what they're doing either.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/co...ltitude-training/story-fndujljl-1226504557293

Cooper Cronk ... will meet the Lions in the US next month for two weeks of high-altitude training in Flagstaff, Arizona before returning to Australia for pre-season training with the Storm.

Cronk, 28, heard about the Lions' plans to send a contingent of 18 players, strength and conditioning staff and coaching staff to Arizona between November 7 and 22.

Cronk will join his AFL counterparts on hikes in the Grand Canyon, mountain bike rides, gym sessions, swimming, running and field/skill sessions.

Hass said the trip, partly funded by the players themselves, would have huge aerobic benefits, as Flagstaff is more than 2000m above sea level.

"We instantly get a 25 per cent increase in intensity.''

Thanks Tigger.

I'll back the club, particularly if you can't accept a pretty basic point that they get the same cardio intensity with less minutes of running (lessening the strain on joints). A great way to kickstart a preseason.
Less oxygen means the body has to work a lot harder to do work at less intensity. That means that it is much, much harder to work at high intensity. Which then means you are not improving as much when you train. So in the end its hindering more than it is improving.

Most professionals agree that it does not do anything. You have to train at intensity for 3 months+ to get any improvements. This is pretty basic stuff.
Teams wouldn't be doing it if it didn't do anything. I'd assume that the directors of sports science (or whatever that department's called) are educated on things like high altitude training, and would be aware of the effects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back