Review Saints vs Cats review

Remove this Banner Ad

I told a story about Nick Riewoldt having told me to get ****** twice (separate occasions) when out years ago.

Used to always be over at my house (The Edgy) on Wednesday nights. Some campaigners we're getting stuck into him back in 2002& I told them to **** off, get a life &that Nicks life will end up being 100x better than theirs anyway... After they pissed off, Nick told me to get ****** as he can stick up for himself. I went to the bar, bought a Bundy & coke, then thought to myself "well that was uncalled for"

That's the gist of it.

I knew there was a reason I loved Roo :)

Greshs dropped marked early 4th qtr was the straw that broke the camels back. Geelong went on a rampage after that.

Honestly sick to death of Gilbert, gave away multiple direct goals. That effort just before 3 qtr time on the wing where he peeled off his man to spoil and got no where near it, allowing Geelong to walk into an open goal from the wing.

Websters kick in the backline across the face of goal in the 1st was an absolute disgrace. Made multiple bad errors throughout.

Gresh, Weller, Long all poor games.
Bruce absolute shocker too. Sick of seeing him in the ruck!

Thought Longer was great in the ruck for the 1st half, and clearly got tired after his first AFL game in a long time.
Ross, Brown, Roberton all great.

Agree with all you said however at no time was Longer great

Not all mate. I actually don't mind a lot of your supporters and think your side is in for success shortly. Keep plugging away, you have the nucleus of a really good side.

How'd you see the game unfold and how do you think you can improve going forward. I like your forward pressure and spread ... your speed running out of defence carved us up at times and worried us all game. It looked like fitness was an issue in the end, would that be right?

Sorry for the abuse you have copped . Yes it looks again like a fitness problem as it was against the Eagles earlier. Maybe we don't have the personal to carry this type of game plan for 4 quarters.

Sent via HAL

Ok here is my observations
Bruce misses goals because he is knackered from a ruck forward role.he is not suited too.
Carlisle should be the ruck forward and Bruce go to chb whilst he is on the ball
Dunstan long out for sinclair and Stevens.
We need to chase jack scrimshaw to replace Gilbert.
Gears should have played mid field on Selwood in the last quarter
Selwood is a gun player, but ruins his champion status with his ducking cheating habits .
I hope he doesn't have some serious brain issues later in life because of this.
The umpiring in the first half was the worst I have seen for along time .
Joey needs to pull his head in, this is the second week in a row he has been involved in an incident of his own actions.
Decision time, are we in a developing year and playing young players and wanting to play finals or chasing finals we can't have both.
Cockatoo is a gutsy player taking on a 200cm 100kg Carlisle like that .

I told a story about Nick Riewoldt having told me to get ****** twice (separate occasions) when out years ago.

Used to always be over at my house (The Edgy) on Wednesday nights. Some campaigners we're getting stuck into him back in 2002& I told them to **** off, get a life &that Nicks life will end up being 100x better than theirs anyway... After they pissed off, Nick told me to get ****** as he can stick up for himself. I went to the bar, bought a Bundy & coke, then thought to myself "well that was uncalled for"

That's the gist of it.

Oh how I miss the edgy.

We played great footy for three quarters but got shown up badly in the last. We had our momentum killed at a few crucial moments as well and I'm starting to wonder whether our late fade-outs are purely a fitness issue or if we drop our heads at demoralising moments. Gresham's dropped mark was one. The world least advantageous free kick (denying Roo a shot on goal) was another. I feel like we could have gone on with it and rolled them if Minch had have kicked his fourth as well. At all of these moments we lose a chance at goal and then it quickly swings back the other end for a 12-point turnaround.

The ruck issue is a real problem. Billy's early work in the hitouts was very good but he got gassed pretty quickly and only played 76% of the game. That means for a quarter of the match, Bruce was our ruckman. We can almost get away with it when Hickey is playing 90% TOG but it's just not viable to have such a massive handicap in for a quarter of footy. I don't know what the solution is - Longer is absolutely useless up forward and you wouldn't want Hickey spending much time there either. And you definitely could fit another ruck into the team when we bring Paddy back. Marshall plays the role we would require but we don't know if he'll be up to it yet and we couldn't play him, Paddy, Bruce and Membrey in the same side. Hawthorn have the worst rucks in the comp so it isn't an issue that the coaches will be too concerned with this week but we need to figure out a solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the abuse you have copped . Yes it looks again like a fitness problem as it was against the Eagles earlier. Maybe we don't have the personal to carry this type of game plan for 4 quarters.

Sent via HAL
You're still quite a young side so it'll take a year or two more. I do like the direction you're taking and your game plan isn't too dissimilar to ours. You have some really talented kids who are going to take some time.

Keep the faith. :thumbsu:

Bad luck on the result and best of luck for the rest of the year.

I agree with most that Dunstan needs to find some form but just want to add that Stevens was concussed in the vfl and might not be up for selection. I think that Mackenzie needs a good run in the seniors in the place of Webster as I think he will be a much better player in the long run. Josh Bruce is starting to become a concern. He is not kicking goals (less than 5 for the season) he is not getting the ball around the ground and he is not taking any marks. We can't carry players like that. We may or may not be better having Paddy in the team but at least Paddy gets the ball occasionally and we wouldn't have to see bruce get smashed in the ruck. I really don't think anyone on this forum has the required knowledge to bag the game plan but we should trust that our coaches do however I heard in the pies post match last week Buckley say that most teams know how to dismantle our game plan. If that is true hopefully our coaches are proactive enough to stay ahead of the teams who have us figured out.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ah, **** it, you know what, I don't mind.

I got to sit and watch the team I live and breathe for, and the game I love, with my father - who's telling cancer to go **** itself every day - my brother and my son.

Four blokes, three generations, one deep and abiding love.

Perspective; it's a wonderful thing.
Great stuff mate. My little guy went to his first Auskick yesterday...followed by a trip to get his first Saints guernsey... this morning he woke me up summoning me in to the corridor where he had been practising his kicking. [Btw he's blond and the tallest kid in his Kinder class... Dada's dreaming he's got the next Nickie R on his hands!!] Then all day today he wore his guernsey with pride.

:) :thumbsu: :)

Ross- Great game.
Steven- Great considering the injury he had. Got tired in the last and his opponents took advantage.
Dylan- Good game but made some errors. like the hit on Freewood. Was surprised he didn't get a free for it.
Montagna- ok game but went missing.
Steele- Good effort but not impacting offensively .
Newnes- Good game, best for awhile.
Webster- Not that good for Jimmy, seemed abit undersized on some of his matchups.
Billings- ok Game, tried hard but things just didn't work for him. Needs space to play well.
Weller- Dirty night at the office, should be in the midfeild when things are not working (last quarter).
Arces- Good Game but was not his usual dash. Seemed to get his footy back of the centre. Getting better all the time.
Riewoldt- Not a good night for Nick. Needed him forward more.
Minchington- Great game. Showed a few of the other boys how to play. Should be put in the middle like Mav when things go to shit.
Gilbert- ok game tried hard, always tackles hard. was in the middle in the last.
Geary- ok game, tried hard but had some hard match ups.
Dunstan- Hope he is playing a role because its been awhile since he has played well two games in a row.
Carlisle- ok Game, had some big contests.
Bruce- Tries hard, not a ruck man. Needs to settle in the forward line.
Gresham- Bad night at the office. They did some homework on him and he could not get free.
Longer- Seemed to give us the advantage in the clearences, but got crunched and that ended. Offers very little around the ground.
Membrey- Again they did their homework on him. Tried hard but things didn't go his way.
Long- Only the second game and i am sure he is better than that.
Brown- He is a better player than i thought he would be. He has had some big games this year.

I thought we played really well for the first 2 & 3/4, but its hard to understand how we can then stop dead. Surely the whole team cannot be that unfit.
They changed things around and thats what helped them turn it around. We seem very rigid, if the forward line stops working then get someone else up there. Our small players and attacking style game should get better as the game goes on as it opens up, but as it opens up we get exposed????

The only change I would make would be Long, Dunstan to the VFL & Roo injured . Bring in Sinclair, Stevens & Marshall ( kicked acouple in the VFL) Big risk but who knows.

I thought that we did well last year when we recruited players to strengthen our back line and mids, but it looks like we are still short of a few good midfielders. I'm sure that they will focus on that at the end of the year.
I had to laugh when Selwood ran into his own player and got a free. Umpires love him.
Longer looks like an old fashion ruckman and rucks don't play like that today, they do more around the ground. That may spell the end of him in the modern game.

I really don't rate our backline it's much worse but taller. We don't get one forward kick ten goals but they just spread it around instead. Brown has his good days but he's slow and eventually lets the flood gates open. Gears and Roberton are holding it together though and as bad as Sav was going he helped spread the load.

Ok here is my observations
Bruce misses goals because he is knackered from a ruck forward role.he is not suited too.
Carlisle should be the ruck forward and Bruce go to chb whilst he is on the ball
Dunstan long out for sinclair and Stevens.
We need to chase jack scrimshaw to replace Gilbert.
Gears should have played mid field on Selwood in the last quarter
Selwood is a gun player, but ruins his champion status with his ducking cheating habits .
I hope he doesn't have some serious brain issues later in life because of this.
The umpiring in the first half was the worst I have seen for along time .
Joey needs to pull his head in, this is the second week in a row he has been involved in an incident of his own actions.
Decision time, are we in a developing year and playing young players and wanting to play finals or chasing finals we can't have both.
Cockatoo is a gutsy player taking on a 200cm 100kg Carlisle like that .
Joey needs to pull his head in? Hmm watch the replay. Umpire even admitted he stuffed up

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really don't rate our backline it's much worse but taller. We don't get one forward kick ten goals but they just spread it around instead. Brown has his good days but he's slow and eventually lets the flood gates open. Gears and Roberton are holding it together though and as bad as Sav was going he helped spread the load.

The reason we've had such big scores kicked on us I think is much more a reflection of our midfield and allowing our opposition quality forward 50 entries than an indictment on our defence.

Were you the one praying for injuries in the lead-up? Says a lot about you in all honesty.
How ironic that you liked his post then.
Not all mate. I actually don't mind a lot of your supporters and think your side is in for success shortly. Keep plugging away, you have the nucleus of a really good side.

How'd you see the game unfold and how do you think you can improve going forward. I like your forward pressure and spread ... your speed running out of defence carved us up at times and worried us all game. It looked like fitness was an issue in the end, would that be right?
FWIW St BKD is from down your way. He doesn't want to talk "forward pressure" with you (no offence) he just feels like "kicking a cat".

(No offence intended to any animal lovers. It's just an expression.)

Ross- Great game.
Steven- Great considering the injury he had. Got tired in the last and his opponents took advantage.
Dylan- Good game but made some errors. like the hit on Freewood. Was surprised he didn't get a free for it.
Montagna- ok game but went missing.
Steele- Good effort but not impacting offensively .
Newnes- Good game, best for awhile.
Webster- Not that good for Jimmy, seemed abit undersized on some of his matchups.
Billings- ok Game, tried hard but things just didn't work for him. Needs space to play well.
Weller- Dirty night at the office, should be in the midfeild when things are not working (last quarter).
Arces- Good Game but was not his usual dash. Seemed to get his footy back of the centre. Getting better all the time.
Riewoldt- Not a good night for Nick. Needed him forward more.
Minchington- Great game. Showed a few of the other boys how to play. Should be put in the middle like Mav when things go to shit.
Gilbert- ok game tried hard, always tackles hard. was in the middle in the last.
Geary- ok game, tried hard but had some hard match ups.
Dunstan- Hope he is playing a role because its been awhile since he has played well two games in a row.
Carlisle- ok Game, had some big contests.
Bruce- Tries hard, not a ruck man. Needs to settle in the forward line.
Gresham- Bad night at the office. They did some homework on him and he could not get free.
Longer- Seemed to give us the advantage in the clearences, but got crunched and that ended. Offers very little around the ground.
Membrey- Again they did their homework on him. Tried hard but things didn't go his way.
Long- Only the second game and i am sure he is better than that.
Brown- He is a better player than i thought he would be. He has had some big games this year.

I thought we played really well for the first 2 & 3/4, but its hard to understand how we can then stop dead. Surely the whole team cannot be that unfit.
They changed things around and thats what helped them turn it around. We seem very rigid, if the forward line stops working then get someone else up there. Our small players and attacking style game should get better as the game goes on as it opens up, but as it opens up we get exposed????

The only change I would make would be Long, Dunstan to the VFL & Roo injured . Bring in Sinclair, Stevens & Marshall ( kicked acouple in the VFL) Big risk but who knows.
At the game with out stats in front of me Acres game looked very good. I was surprised his possession count wasn't higher. He's a very instinctive player and has got his game going both ways nicely. Gilbert was another that works super hard and makes a contest of every ball. Billings looked pretty good too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back