Strategy Salary cap cuts? All players out of contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

"The principle that a contract is a contract is absolutely fair. We all want to respect that.

"The great unknown of this whole scenario though is that we're now in a totally different world."

We're in a totally different world where a contract ISN'T a contract? I'm not sure how that can be legally justified.

So is there a Chance that every club have to Re-Sign all there Players?

Wonder if the truth behind the Beams deal will be uncovered if contracts are forced to be re-negotiated and clubs are financially audited?

Wonder if the truth behind the Beams deal will be uncovered if contracts are forced to be re-negotiated and clubs are financially audited?

Why would Clubs be Audited Publicly?

Where did I say that?
You did say that the truth behind the Beams deal could come out if clubs are audited. Presumably that only makes sense if the results of the audit are made public.

Unless of course you only meant for the AFL and the auditing company to find out the truth of the Beams deal? 🤷‍♀️ Would be kind of redundant in that case, we won't learn anything. The AFL will just quietly fine them (or not) and that would be the end of it.

You did say that the truth behind the Beams deal could come out if clubs are audited. Presumably that only makes sense if the results of the audit are made public.

Unless of course you only meant for the AFL and the auditing company to find out the truth of the Beams deal? 🤷‍♀️ Would be kind of redundant in that case, we won't learn anything. The AFL will just quietly fine them (or not) and that would be the end of it.

So why was Beams Contract Cheating?

I didn't say he was, and I couldn't care less either way. I was merely taking up your point about publishing the results of an audit.

I dare say clubs have lot of Audits but none come out Pubicly unless there is a Leak to the Media and they can say only a bit they can Report

Was thinking about this the other day. There actually might be a way the afl can drop the cap "immediately" and honour existing contracts. They basically give clubs a 5 year overdraft.

Say they want all clubs to hit a target of a 30% cap drop. Clearly not possible dollar for dollar in year 1. But if you allow clubs to go over the cap for existing contracts and maybe allow them to only pay out the first 100k or so of new contracts if they're over, then as long as they hit the total salary cap in a say 5 year period they're fine.

Incentivises clubs with contract and cap space in years 3-4 to take on players that are straining their current clubs cap room, as well benefiting the clubs trading them on.

Doesn't force any club to specifically cull the list immediately, most clubs could go into deficit with current contracts on paper, but it puts them at a massive future disadvantage in resigning stars compared to other clubs that get their cap down earlier. Those clubs could still sign players to longer contracts to spread costs but this also comes with disadvantages

I'm sure there flaws I'm not seeing but I think it could work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only other option is to look at unilaterally declaring contracts as percentages of TPP rather than outright dollars.

That allows elasticity in the funding envelope.

Players who don't like can try to transfer skills to another sport I guess?
I think that would breach player contracts. You'd still have to pay them.

Like hately, Caldwell, Williams,Cameron and Corr?
Oh dear. Hatley ain't a gun and we have called off talks with him because the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Corr is 26, Williams is 26, Cameron is 27 so I'm not sure on what your definition of young is. Caldwell isn't there yet but will fall into the category of "most young guns".

Good try champ.

Oh dear. Hatley ain't a gun and we have called off talks with him because the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Corr is 26, Williams is 26, Cameron is 27 so I'm not sure on what your definition of young is. Caldwell isn't there yet but will fall into the category of "most young guns".

Good try champ.
Lol fair call but Hately and Caldwell pick 10 and 14 in the 2018 super draft definitely full into that category 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back