Player Watch Sam Berry

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
At one of the early games I overheard a bloke say Berry could win a Brownlow one day because of how clean he is with disposal and he will be a "pack to pack" player.

I thought interesting call, but a few more games in I can kind of see it.

If he starts to accumulate possessions he could be like Tom Mitchell/Lachie Neale.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
At one of the early games I overheard a bloke say Berry could win a Brownlow one day because of how clean he is with disposal and he will be a "pack to pack" player.

If he starts to accumulate possessions he could be like Tom Mitchell/Lachie Neale.

And he just looks like he is loving his footy here with us too..Fingers crossed he can be a very long term player for us

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS

No thankyou, I’d rather he model his game on Brett Kirk

Schoenberg 30 disposals
Berry 17 disposals (9 clearances) 12 tackles

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really, really, really like this kid. Feels like even the footy gods knew we got screwed over by the AFL and St Kilda with the Crouch deal. And that's saying something cause the footy gods ******* hate us.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Probably right, but imo was his best performance and just gives your more confidence that he's gonna be a real player.

As an aside, I think he should be around the ball more, but I think he suits being a forward as well.
Certainly was his best game, but we all knew it was in his kit bag.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Love what I am seeing from this bloke. Hard at it, and incredibly clean below his knees.
Uses the ball well and is developing more and more confidence.

I always stop and think about where they will be after 50 games. Berry has a very high ceiling. He doesn't have x-factor, but could be a top end inside mid.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Love what I am seeing from this bloke. Hard at it, and incredibly clean below his knees.
Uses the ball well and is developing more and more confidence.

I always stop and think about where they will be after 50 games. Berry has a very high ceiling. He doesn't have x-factor, but could be a top end inside mid.
He does have some X factor, we've just not seen much of it yet, he has an amazing leap and overhead talent, he not only gets up there he brings them down quite often.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Berry is one of those players who is able to make an impact even if he doesn't win the ball. Just knows when to put on a nudge or a niggle at the right moment to affect the contest. Also knows when he has only a split second to dispose of the ball and has lovely hands.

I'm a huge fan already. If he can up his disposal count by another half dozen or so he'll be a very good player.

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was so impressed with sams game on Friday He looked a class above this level and dominated around the ball either in terms of his extraction and run and also his tackling. He reminded me at times of petracca in the way he moved away from the contest He has played well for two weeks now after a very lack lustre start to the year in the pre season games and first game of year His tackling continues to be a feature of his game

He must be close to getting another gig in the firsts but he is midfielder first and foremost but with Sloane coming back and being picked he may not be able to get back into the team this week. Pedlar cook ned Rowe at risk but I would not drop cook. He may not have done much on the weekend but he has that X factor we don’t have that much of atm

The other player to really impress was
Nankervis. He was playing as a key forward in the preseason and showed glimpses but he is not suited to this position ideally When he went to the wing in this game he really came into his own. He has a lot of potential he can jump and take a huge mark He has excellent pace and can kick on both sides of the body He can also find space that others cannot when in close quarters

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was so impressed with sams game on Friday He looked a class above this level and dominated around the ball either in terms of his extraction and run and also his tackling. He reminded me at times of petracca in the way he moved away from the contest He has played well for two weeks now after a very lack lustre start to the year in the pre season games and first game of year His tackling continues to be a feature of his game

He must be close to getting another gig in the firsts but he is midfielder first and foremost but with Sloane coming back and being picked he may not be able to get back into the team this week. Pedlar cook ned Rowe at risk but I would not drop cook. He may not have done much on the weekend but he has that X factor we don’t have that much of atm

The other player to really impress was
Nankervis. He was playing as a key forward in the preseason and showed glimpses but he is not suited to this position ideally When he went to the wing in this game he really came into his own. He has a lot of potential he can jump and take a huge mark He has excellent pace and can kick on both sides of the body He can also find space that others cannot when in close quarters

Agreed, was absolutely dominant and great to see. There were some good signs last year, especially when he was able to get up the ground and show his strength, balance, clean take and hard edge through the midfield, but got stuck mostly as that defensive small forward which he simply is not.

I'm torn between rewarding his strong resurgance of form and actually letting him consolidate for a few weeks as a genuine midfielder in the SANFL. If he's rushed back into the AFL, likely he gets minimal midfield opportunities and again languishes in the forward pocket.

I think Pedlar's in a similar boat, needs a few weeks of genuine midfield time in the sanfl to find some form and touch.

Back