Player Watch Sam Berry

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he was exposed a bit last night for lack of leg speed. He's probably not fit enough yet to maintain top speed through multiple efforts. Not his best game imo but still tackled like a machine.

If Berry plays out the season, (which he should) he would have played 35 games in 2 seasons for the Crows.

Who was the last player for us to achieve that in their rookie and 2nd year? I literally have no idea, its been so long since we've given a young player a early run like this.

If Berry plays out the season, (which he should) he would have played 35 games in 2 seasons for the Crows.

Who was the last player for us to achieve that in their rookie and 2nd year? I literally have no idea, its been so long since we've given a young player a early run like this.
Schoenberg?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Murphy played 32 in his first 2.

Maybe Jake Lever on 36?

Plenty of youngsters been given an early run. Look at Rachele and Soligo this year alone.

From Berry's draft class:

Rowe is on track to play more than Berry.
Nick Murray has played 22 games so far and is only 6 games behind Berry.

Recent years:

McHenry played 29 games in years 1 & 2
Schoenberg played 30 games in his 1st and 2nd year.
Sholl played 27 games in his first 2 years.
Will Hamill played 25 games in his first 2 years.

Dating a little further back:

Charlie Cameron was 29 games in his first 2 years.
Lever 36 games in his first 2 years.
Rory Laird was 34 games in his first 2 years.
Brodie Smith 36 games.

Plenty of youngsters been given an early run. Look at Rachele and Soligo this year alone.

Recent years:

Brodie Smith 36 games.
If you exclude the year he was basically unavailable due to still finishing Year 12 Danger played 41 I think.

Recent years:

Brodie Smith 36 games.

Some of these are a bit deceptive though. You're confusing rookie year and second year on the list, with debut year and second year actually playing games.

None of McHenry, Sholl or Hamill played in their rookie years, and they each played only eight games in their second years. Laird didn't play in his rookie year either, but played 18 games in his second year. I think the others you have mentioned are right.

Some of these are a bit deceptive though. You're confusing rookie year and second year on the list, with debut year and second year actually playing games.

None of McHenry, Sholl or Hamill played in their rookie years, and they each played only eight games in their second years. Laird didn't play in his rookie year either, but played 18 games in his second year. I think the others you have mentioned are right.

How did Lairds recruitment work? I now see we Rookie listed him at the end of 2011. Then we took him in the national draft at pick 86 in 2013.

How did Lairds recruitment work? I now see we Rookie listed him at the end of 2011. Then we took him in the national draft at pick 86 in 2013.

We took him in the rookie draft in 2011. Back in those days a rookie couldn't play unless they were "upgraded" to the main list mid-season which could only happen in the case of a long-term injury (or at some point, they started allowing you to do one additional upgrade at the mid-season mark). He didn't play any games until 2013, and then at the end of 2013 we decided to move him permanently to the main list. Back in those days you couldn't just move them there, it had to be done formally at the draft where you would use your final pick(s) on upgrading rookies. I'm not actually sure when that practice stopped.

Edit: Looking back, 2013 was the last year rookie upgrades had to be done in the draft. It used to dominate the end of the draft - in 2013, 18 of the last 20 "selections" were rookie upgrades.

100% this

Love how he goes about it, loads of endeavour.

Hopefully he can tidy up his disposal as he gets more games under his belt and a bigger tank.

Not sure on his contract status but he is a keeper.
It's only his kicking that needs to improve. It's obvious in his goalkicking that he has no confidence from intermediate distances: his eyes dart sideways desperately looking for an alternative. Dawson, Smith, etc, should automatically look for the offload when he has a shot, as a team directive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back