Rumour Sam Docherty ruptured ACL playing basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Why would they hide it?
It would reflect poorly on the club that their captain was, retrospectively determined to be, engaging in activity that is counter to the professional culture they purport to embody. Recklessly playing other sport and then hiding his injury until training.

Fans are looking for things to be upset about.

If this is true and Docherty was playing basketball in his spare time, then I think he should be publically executed in Federation Square.
In the past few years we've had Patful injured surfing in Bali, Patton in an assault in a nightclub queue in Hong Kong and Toby with a broken Toe somehow in New York.

You can't shoot them all. Probably ban them from hang gliding though.

In the future AFL players will be placed inside hyperbaric chambers immediately after training and only come out before the session starts. They can jump on trampolines and play basketball when they retire. You're lucky if you have 4 years in the AFL. Don't ruin in.

kef7yw7bl5a01.gif

So probably in his own time he played basketball maybe with friends outside the club. Noticed some pain so went to Cabrini and they did a quick check, saw nothing wrong and sent him home saying just ice it, it'll be right no actual structual damage. The only thing they may have failed to mention, or Docherty did not want to mention to Carlton is that he should take it easy for a week or 2. Because he didn't he was more susceptible to actual injuries.

So probably in his own time he played basketball maybe with friends outside the club. Noticed some pain so went to Cabrini and they did a quick check, saw nothing wrong and sent him home saying just ice it, it'll be right no actual structual damage. The only thing they may have failed to mention, or Docherty did not want to mention to Carlton is that he should take it easy for a week or 2. Because he didn't he was more susceptible to actual injuries.
Interesting story but it lacks a link to reality.

Clubs couldn't prevent a player seeking treatment anywhere they wish, however unlikely it would be.

The notion a senior player coming to the end of a long rehab wouldn't be closely monitored, and wouldn't notify an issue is beyond absurd.

Clubs couldn't prevent a player seeking treatment anywhere they wish, however unlikely it would be.

The notion a senior player coming to the end of a long rehab wouldn't be closely monitored, and wouldn't notify an issue is beyond absurd.
Maybe club told him he's not to play any sports or do any physical activity outside the club?

I think a player recovering from an ACL playing a sport that is rough on the knees alone lacks a link to reality

I think a player recovering from an ACL playing a sport that is rough on the knees alone lacks a link to reality
I dont think you can wrap them in cotton wool sadly. It's human nature to want to blame someone when something bad happens. Sometimes s**t happens though.

If it did happen playing a non-contact sport, I think it would have been reported that way if it did.

You thinking of Salem perhaps? Had a brick fall out of his backpack on his head and sustained concussion. Offseason though, at the famous camp

Pffft, you call that camp famous. Allow me to introduce you to Brett Burton. He’ll design you a proper famous camp.

I dont think you can wrap them in cotton wool sadly. It's human nature to want to blame someone when something bad happens. Sometimes s**t happens though.

If it did happen playing a non-contact sport, I think it would have been reported that way if it did.

Yeah and anyway if your knee can't hold up to a game of B ball or pre season training what hope do you have in actual games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does your friend have no professional ethics in blabbing private information about patients - And you are silly enough to publish this information word for word.

I'm no expert but if he saw Doc leaving the facility and he's not involved in treating him then it's probably only a little worse than any member of Joe Public spreading the news. As long as he isn't privy to any case information.

If he was involved in Doc's treatment then of course the book should be thrown at him.

Nathan Fyfe has tripped over his suitcase and done his ankle before and Sharrod Wellingham destroyed his ankle on a trampoline from memory too, it put him so far back it might have cost him his career.

Such fragile creatures humans.

I can understand why clubs would require their contracted assets to not endanger their ability to fulfill their contract by engaging in activity a reasonable person would expect could result in injury, such as playing another sport or otherwise performing athletic feats not monitored or approved by their club.

There would be an argument to be made for not paying a player for their time out if they were injured during unapproved activities. I think there is a cultural hurdle there that would make for bad publicity should a player go public with their story of doing their shoulder diving for a catch playing back yard cricket with their children, even if they fell off a motorbike drunk in truth - it wouldn't make the club look good, and I'd expect the player would be within their rights to further the voiding of the contract to beyond the injury period and make themselves a delisted free agent.

Since the club would have decided the player breached the terms and voided the deal, allowing them to not pay the player, that the entire contract is torn up.

For a highly regarded captain, and very required player, I expect there would be some serious conversations that amount to nothing.

Comes down to whether your a good bloke or not. Docherty is clearly a good bloke as was the entire playing list of west coast in the mid 2000’s. lawrence angwin however was clearly a massive campaigner.

I'm no expert but if he saw Doc leaving the facility and he's not involved in treating him then it's probably only a little worse than any member of Joe Public spreading the news. As long as he isn't privy to any case information.

If he was involved in Doc's treatment then of course the book should be thrown at him.

The gent is a medical professional or similar - He is not Joe Public.

I have a friend of mine who’s a blues supporter who messaged me on Friday afternoon saying he saw Sam Docherty leaving Cabrini Health in Malvern limping very heavily. He works at Cabrini as a nurse and asked what was wrong with Docherty as he thought he was back to full training. My mate was told that he ‘jarred his knee playing basketball and not to worry it’s nothing major’. 3 days later, Doch does his acl with an ‘innocuous’ incident that no one saw happen. Very interesting.
I have a friend who works for a base jumping company in the Andes, he said he noticed Docherty limping after base jumping from 5,000 metres and laughing about how late he left it to open his Chute. Apparently the club flew him home on a private Jet and staged a training accident ...such sneaky bastards these AFL clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back