Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

His below average kicking won't be an issue if we work to his strength and have someone always close by for the HB receive. If he can continually take contested marks and halt the oppositions forward movement, we just need to make sure our run out of defence is there. Looks like he gives 110% in the contest and continually follows the pill up, just hope he can hear who's calling for the HB when there's 80,000+ people packed into the MCG in 2018 for the GF.

This is an interesting point NT. Not sure what the reality will be for McLarty, and I have no idea how a bionic ear works - i.e. what the wearer can actually hear. This is a link to a fact sheet.

But without venturing into the realms of pseudo science, and as someone posted earlier, his other senses may have over developed to balance out his poor hearing. Maybe his lateral vision or ability to sense someone approaching - that would come in handy. Then again, that could be rubbish.

We should have some good ball users down back with him. In Dunn,Reid,Scharanberg,Maynard and Howe

Hope it wasn't just my imagination but Ramsey seemed to be really improved and precise with his kicking before he went down as well. Quietly optimistic about him. When you read our back line like you wrote it - doesn't look too bad. Langdon there to provide another intercept option if necessary, majority of the scrappy kickers waved goodbye to.

Hope it wasn't just my imagination but Ramsey seemed to be really improved and precise with his kicking before he went down as well. Quietly optimistic about him. When you read our back line like you wrote it - doesn't look too bad. Langdon there to provide another intercept option if necessary, majority of the scrappy kickers waved goodbye to.

I agree. he did turn his kicking around considerably.

This is an interesting point NT. Not sure what the reality will be for McLarty, and I have no idea how a bionic ear works - i.e. what the wearer can actually hear. This is a link to a fact sheet.

But without venturing into the realms of pseudo science, and as someone posted earlier, his other senses may have over developed to balance out his poor hearing. Maybe his lateral vision or ability to sense someone approaching - that would come in handy. Then again, that could be rubbish.
I've heard he has excellent peripheral judgment.
Maybe doctor types around these parts can lend an ear to the discussion.

Gone Critical has expertise in the medical field, so he might postulate if he knows.

There's a few other medical types around. Calling medical posters.

ps I'm positive it's fine.
He'll be a ripper I reckon, sometimes you just take a shine to new players.
Usually when they join Collingwood, it happens to me

I'm hoping he can tune into the opposition coaches channel.

Wow 19 pages, I think some people need to understand if someone posts something you agree with you can simply "like" it, rather than repeating the same line over and over and over and over.

As far as I can see(am ignoring a few on her) there's only about half a dozen posts critical of the pick, and a good 100+ posts repeating the "I can't believe people are being critical of a kid on the internet, what bloody hero's I bet they're not doctors, I'd like to meet them irl in a dark alley".

Talk about going around in circles, people need to relax and have a cup of tea or something.

Personally I'm looking forward to hearing from the kid, hopefully the club pump out a couple of videos tomorrow on the new recruits.

You've just widened the circle, by having a go at those who had a go at those who had a go at the selection.

Damn it, I've just added another ring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard he has excellent peripheral judgment.
Maybe doctor types around these parts can lend an ear to the discussion.

Gone Critical has expertise in the medical field, so he might postulate if he knows.

There's a few other medical types around. Calling medical posters.
When I heard the story I assumed he had functional hearing and essentially has all his life once the bionic ear was placed. I am no expert on hearing though but my gut feel is he will hear fine on the MCG.

Found an article in the age where he discusses the bionic ear. Says he has never had a problem hearing coaches or team mates. The bionic ears have been a major step forward for people like Sam. I don't see hearing as likely to be a problem even on a noisy G.

Young footballer Sam McLarty wired up for grand final challenge

www.theage.com.au › AFL › News

Welcome Sam. Apparently plenty on this board know more then our recruiters. Hine & Rendell should stop going to TAC cup matches every week & trawling through hours of video footage & just watch youtube video highlights like plenty of experts on this board. ;)
To be fair, I think plenty on this board could have done just as good if not better than our recruiters in the past 4-5 drafts.

When I heard the story I assumed he had functional hearing and essentially has all his life once the bionic ear was placed. I am no expert on hearing though but my gut feel is he will hear fine on the MCG.

Found an article in the age where he discusses the bionic ear. Says he has never had a problem hearing coaches or team mates. The bionic ears have been a major step forward for people like Sam. I don't see hearing as likely to be a problem even on a noisy G.

Young footballer Sam McLarty wired up for grand final challenge

www.theage.com.au › AFL › News
Sounds great!

Pun intended :)

If one of the reasons Sam Mac fell was because of concerns over his hearing impairment and what I reckon is unjustified bias; then more power to us for identifying the value and giving the kid the opportunity.

And hopefully he's 2017's Jake Lever

Dude has no left foot, I'm not sure how he's able to walk.

His right doesn't look too bad, but kicking definitely isn't a strength.

Surely not having a left foot would restrict your ability to kick with the right....having to balance on a stump cant be easy.

Are you sure he hasnt got a left foot? Have you seen him without boots on?

McLarty with his Elite Contested Marking has something that sets him apart.

As 99% of Prospects he has something that needs working on. Like his Kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back