No Oppo Supporters Sam Mitchell traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 4 contested possessions. Our Mitchell is so much better at the contested ball :p

And only 5 for lewis. It hurts seeing mitch there but we will be much stronger overall with tich and jom in the guts. Both over 50% handballs too.

Still hoping he has an amazing season, top 3 in brownlow and i cant see why he shouldnt make Legend hall of fame status one day - will be AT LEAST equal of diesel williams (who is waiting for legend status) and possibly better than cable/murray too if he can do that yet again.

The reality is he was not a good fit for us anymore. We're heading another direction. I can see that. Having said that, Wish we'd only lost one of him and Lewis, but it is what it is.

On another note, the very early signs seem to hint B. Hill's career under Lyon may not be potential reaching

Mitch is looking good for the Weagles. Hurts a bit, but if O'Meara and Titch have good years it will ease the pain a bit.
We are very thankful for him. Our midfield group as a whole looks a lot better for having him around. Much easier to support him when he isn't tearing us apart. ;)

I remember what it was like watching Judd run around in Carlton colours for the first few times, so I feel your pain. But then we got Kennedy out of it, and he has been brilliant for us. I think with Mitchell & O'meara up and running I doubt you'll remember this day in 3-4 years.

Also again, glad we were able to sort all this out in a mature manner. Shows a lot of respect between our great clubs. All the best for the rest of the year! :thumbsu:

We are very thankful for him. Our midfield group as a whole looks a lot better for having him around. Much easier to support him when he isn't tearing us apart. ;)

I remember what it was like watching Judd run around in Carlton colours for the first few times, so I feel your pain. But then we got Kennedy out of it, and he has been brilliant for us. I think with Mitchell & O'meara up and running I doubt you'll remember this day in 3-4 years.

Also again, glad we were able to sort all this out in a mature manner. Shows a lot of respect between our great clubs. All the best for the rest of the year! :thumbsu:
I think it's because we're the two best run clubs in the sport. Able to make big decisions in an organised manner.

The reality is he was not a good fit for us anymore. We're heading another direction. I can see that. Having said that, Wish we'd only lost one of him and Lewis, but it is what it is.

On another note, the very early signs seem to hint B. Hill's career under Lyon may not be potential reaching
We lost Lewis because Mitch convinced the senior team to take a pay cut then buggered off.

Still a legend of the club in my eyes, just unfortunate how it played out.

Looking back it is pretty clear the hawks had tom mitchell locked in and jaeger as good as during last year. Hence of the 5 30 year olds sam and jordan were the most like for like despite probably not being the preferred 2 to move on. But they both got great outcomes and arguably the club put their individual futures above the clubs interest of keeping them which is a great way of respecting two legends. Whilst in particular i would love to see sam go around again for us the fact we have brought in 2 good players comforts me. We havent flicked them for the hope of draftees coming in and stepping up. Whilst painful a sound strategy. I reckon mitchell has another 2 years playing too.. I

The club got it right on Sam, wrong on Jordan. My two favourite all time Hawks are Dunstall and Mitchell. Both have had great success despite neither really appearing to be an athlete, and I guess the thought of ordinary people becoming extraordinary at what they do I find inspiring. Sam has a way he wants to play football (and that was on display yesterday) where he wants to use his vision to release those around him, but he doesn't want to get the hard ball anymore. If we felt that is a role we wanted him to play, we would have kept him end of story.

Whilst Jordy is slowing down, I'd back him in to play through to the end of 2018 at least at a high level. The club (Clarko) going to him and saying he can't promise him anything after 2017 was premature. Especially when over the off season where we extended the contracts of Birchall, Smith & Rioli where they will all come out of contract older than what Jordy will be at the end of this year. I would have liked for Jordy to back himself in, and if the club didn't want him for 2018 he still would have got suitors elsewhere, so whilst the club got it wrong, so did Jordy. He should be out there with his great mate in Roughy.

The club got it right on Sam, wrong on Jordan. My two favourite all time Hawks are Dunstall and Mitchell. Both have had great success despite neither really appearing to be an athlete, and I guess the thought of ordinary people becoming extraordinary at what they do I find inspiring. Sam has a way he wants to play football (and that was on display yesterday) where he wants to use his vision to release those around him, but he doesn't want to get the hard ball anymore. If we felt that is a role we wanted him to play, we would have kept him end of story.

Whilst Jordy is slowing down, I'd back him in to play through to the end of 2018 at least at a high level. The club (Clarko) going to him and saying he can't promise him anything after 2017 was premature. Especially when over the off season where we extended the contracts of Birchall, Smith & Rioli where they will all come out of contract older than what Jordy will be at the end of this year. I would have liked for Jordy to back himself in, and if the club didn't want him for 2018 he still would have got suitors elsewhere, so whilst the club got it wrong, so did Jordy. He should be out there with his great mate in Roughy.

Not quite- think Jordy knew he would of played for us in 2018 - it was 2019 he was worried about hence he jumped on melbournes 3yr deal at more money. It wasnt a mistake to be honest with him.

We didn't get Mitchell and O'meara by trading out sam though. We got pick 88 and it was all our idea. Absolutely heartbreaking decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's surprising that people still think moving out Mitchell and Lewis was to bring in Mitchell and O'Meara. Moving them out was all about what we could bring in *this* off-season.

It's surprising that people still think moving out Mitchell and Lewis was to bring in Mitchell and O'Meara. Moving them out was all about what we could bring in *this* off-season.
Moving out Mitchell and Lewis was about managing the retirements of Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lewis and Mitchell over the next two years. Keep them all and have them retire together would be catastrophic and lead to the proverbial plunge down the ladder. Gradual regeneration will keep us thereabouts and challenging. Mind you, there is a lot to be said for getting a top 10 draft pick as well.

I have completely the opposite view.

Correct call to only offer Lewis 1 more year. He then made the correct call for his family to take a 3 year offer elsewhere. I didn't rate his output in 2016 and he's deteriorating from a much lower base than Mitchell. I don't mean that to sound disrespectful but Lewis has been an excellent servant in a great side; Mitchell has been an all time great of the sport.

Mitchell and Lewis are no longer contested beasts. They rely on their nous to get uncontested ball and their creativity and skill to set up play. They offer nothing defensively.

I think 2017 still had room for one of them in it. And as Mitchell is and always had been the much better player, he should have been retained to finish off his career at Hawthorn.

Instead West Coast will benefit enormously from his elite output.

It is disappointing and in my view it was an error as from what we are told it was not necessary to move them on to get Jaeger and T Mitchell in.

But we move on. And Sam will always be a legend of this footy club. The second best hawk I've seen behind Dunstall

I recall a certain poster mocking me recalling Clarko's comments about 2-2-2, the staggering of the retirements of the old boys. Funnily enough, we are now at 2-2 and no doubt Hodge and either Gibbo or Burger will complete the 2-2-2 this year. So moving on from apology accepted (as that poster will never admit he's wrong - especially on Lewis) really the only surprise is that it was Mitchell who doesn't appear as cooked as Lewis, but you can't ignore the complete capitulation of our midfield as the season wore on. Whilst I'm personally shitty the club has not really acknowledged Mitchell's 2012 Brownlow most likely just to awkwardness, the fact is you're right, it's best for both parties.

West Coast will improve with Sam's IP and footy IQ, but all those plane flights and as the year wears on, I think you'll see his form taper as it did in 2016. Lewis, we'll he'll continue to rack up his 1 to 2m dinky little handball and "30 possession" games but his real value will merely be chopping out Nathan Jones and assisting the Melbourne kids growing a set!

JOM and Tom Mitchell are now the new breed and I think we are in safe hands, especially with Russell. Clarko backed in his old boys and unfortunately, they could no longer get it done. It's win win for everyone, especially Lewis, securing a 3 year contract...wow!

If you listen to what the club and sam said, they told him there'd be no garruntee of a spot after this season, and gave him the option to look elsewhere (where he can start post-footy life), and they'd do anything to get him where he wants. He jumped at the chance to secure his future

You'd assume the same was given to Jordan, and he had a hissy fit that he wasn't garunteed his future (given his demeanour and short answers in the media conference)

I actually think they got it right on Jordan, but wrong on Mitch. Jordan didn't seem to fit with a changing game plan last year, and his kicking dropped off a lot

Correct! And it was pretty hard to sell the idea to Tom Mitchell who has had an issue with game time in Sydney that he could join us and face the same dilemma. How the next FA period plays out is going to see Trump like melts and tears in the non Hawthorn AFL community. Hawthorn don't move on players like Mitchell for shits and giggles. Something is brewing or already cooked. It's merely about cap space!

We lost Lewis because Mitch convinced the senior team to take a pay cut then buggered off.

Still a legend of the club in my eyes, just unfortunate how it played out.
Wow, how do you know this?

We didn't get Mitchell and O'meara by trading out sam though. We got pick 88 and it was all our idea. Absolutely heartbreaking decision.
Yes but we freed up the $$ to be able to get both of them and TV sorted.

Yes but we freed up the $$ to be able to get both of them.

We already had the $$ for both of them. We were trying to free up cap space to go under the cap this year so we can go over next year if we lure the fabled 2017 big fish. It worked for us, it worked for the players. Just a bit hard on the fans is all.

Not about bringing them in, but certainly a bit to do with giving the new pick ups game time in the middle. Jordan and Sam would have both occupied spots in the midfield competing with development time for Tom, Jaeger, Lovell, Burton, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back