Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

There’s some things that are still looking pretty good for us considering that quite a few metrics got a beating last week and that we should get a bit of a bump in our midfield with Day returning.

Also, to get some of these numbers below while being well down in the midfield holds us in good stead, I feel.

We are 12th in the comp for Contested Possesions. 0.6 below the AFL average of 131.6.
Worth remembering that we are the second youngest list in the comp too which makes our 10th placing for contested possession rate ok imo.

6th for kicking efficiency.
6th for disposal efficiency.
8th for intercept possessions.
8th for groundball gets.
9th for stoppage clearances.
7th for marks inside 50.
8th for marks inside 50 per entry.
11th for intercept marks(0.2 below league ave).

The other thing to note, as different to last year is that we’re 0.1 below the league average for Kicks per disposal.
We were a handball happy team last year, now we have a clear focus on kicking.

I think we're still a bit too handball happy at about 60-70m out from goal. Always looking for the perfect option but we seem to put ourselves under pressure. I think we need to strike a bit more balance and play the percentages at times.

Even though Weddle kicked a GOTY contender, the handball option was poor by Frenchy. Put him under immediate pressure and Weddle really had to pull that one out his backside.

I'm going by what Eddie McGuire and Bartel have said about us for a few weeks now, we WONT just explode out of nowhere, they believe the Hawks will gradually get to where they want ( finals type team) and " unfortunately" stay there !!! I'm a believer.
One of the most balanced podcasts available. Both Eddie and Bartel very positive on us.

Interesting thing to me, has been Mitch's experimentation in the middle - probably to try and rectify the inconsistency this year.

In particular - we can see two big shifts over the last 2 weeks:

1713764358019.png

• Frenchie took probably his most CBAs in his career last night, largely in the first half and that definitely gave our midfield a different look.
  • But biggest one for me, has been to move Dylan Moore back into the middle a bit - his leadership and ability to extract in key moments, seems to be doing work for us. His best year was 2022, which coincided with him having lots of minutes in the middle.
  • The counters to those moves, have seen Wardy dropped and Worps/Newk getting ever-so slightly less CBAs.
Will be very interesting to see the dynamic shift again with Day's impending return + Ward's great form in the twos.

Interesting thing to me, has been Mitch's experimentation in the middle - probably to try and rectify the inconsistency this year.

In particular - we can see two big shifts over the last 2 weeks:

View attachment 1967235

• Frenchie took probably his most CBAs in his career last night, largely in the first half and that definitely gave our midfield a different look.
  • But biggest one for me, has been to move Dylan Moore back into the middle a bit - his leadership and ability to extract in key moments, seems to be doing work for us. His best year was 2022, which coincided with him having lots of minutes in the middle.
  • The counters to those moves, have seen Wardy dropped and Worps/Newk getting ever-so slightly less CBAs.
Will be very interesting to see the dynamic shift again with Day's impending return + Ward's great form in the twos.
Interesting that Newcombe's best individual performances this season have come in the games where he's attended fewer CBAs. (Ignoring the GCS game where the whole team was bad). It's only a small sample size and perhaps just coincidence, but maybe an indication that he performs better when he plays a more varied role.

I think he looks quite dangerous playing across half forward knowing he can easily make the difference on the run from 60 and off a step from 50. He also adds a lot of strength and pressure for us in those F50 contests. And he seems to be quite strong overhead too.

Playing Newcombe forward a bit also gives more opportunity for Moore and Macdonald to run through the middle.

I think we're still a bit too handball happy at about 60-70m out from goal. Always looking for the perfect option but we seem to put ourselves under pressure. I think we need to strike a bit more balance and play the percentages at times.

Even though Weddle kicked a GOTY contender, the handball option was poor by Frenchy. Put him under immediate pressure and Weddle really had to pull that one out his backside.
Both need to share the blame here, why was Weddle calling for the handball and secondly why did Frenchy give the handball. Weddle must have seen the 2 beggars in front of him as he was calling for the handball.

Actually pleased he gave the handball otherwise we wouldn’t have the GOTY contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back