Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

What the hell is going on here???????????????

Again, WHAT IS GOING ON????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Can we play just a few games maybe?
Do people have to hold their breath over the first freakin part of the season over results BEFORE the players can ACTUALLY ATTEMPT to implement a new philosophy that includes some changes to playing style?
ONE offseason of training against ourselves is supposed to translate to AFL action against real opponents straight up????

Why are Hawk posters ADDING to the ridiclous OVER ANAL-YSING INSPECTION of every bloody kick and move we make IN THE FIRST SEASON WITH A NEW COACH, 50% NEW LIST, SOME OF OUR BEST YOUNG PLAYERS SITTING ON THE SIDELINE - ONE'S WHO ARE ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD AT DEFENDING AND PROVIDE SKILL AND RUN OUT OF OUR BACKLINE.

This is so stupid.

We've been poor for a number of seasons, and people are shitting themselves IMMEDIATELY over results on the field while we try to work back to being a good side?

WOWSERS

People are discussing what they think about the Hawthorn Football Club on the Bigfooty forum that pertains to the Hawthorn Football Club. Crazy!

Sam Mitchell interview with Cal Twomey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Objectively, we need a top 3 pick this yr. This means losses. However, as long as we're competing well and the youngsters show good positive growth, I'll be content.
Although I can't watch any game hoping we lose, we need some top picks. I've changed my mind... Hope we win. But we need high draft picks... Someone plz help me.

Sam interview on SEN breakfast prior to Round 1
Sams made it pretty clear that the first few games are all going to be about setting up the way we want to play and that we will have teething problems, as we did in the practice matches.

Sams made it pretty clear that the first few games are all going to be about setting up the way we want to play and that we will have teething problems, as we did in the practice matches.

Prevailing message for us all the first few rounds I guess:

27262.gif

He is taking a harder road than slow incremental improvement. Has the risk of seeing us crushed in games as mistakes mount. Let’s hope there is a pay off in the form of faster development of a winning game plan.

Last edited:
He is taking a harder road than slow incremental improvement. Has the risk of seeing us crushed in games as mistakes mount. Let’s hope their is a pay off in the form of faster development of a winning game plan.

It's a ballsy move considering he's a first year coach and he would know the 'WhAt iF ClArKo WaSn'T MoVeD On' narrative will be red hot should we have some significant defeats early on.

I like how Sam acknowledged the tough discussions he is going to have to have with about 10 players players leading up to R1.
It says a lot about the intent of the playing group.

He is taking a harder road than slow incremental improvement. Has the risk of seeing us crushed in games as mistakes mount. Let’s hope their is a pay off in the form of faster development of a winning game plan.

I don't mind it to be honest. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

He obviously thinks our list is capable of picking up a game plan quickly.

I don't mind it to be honest. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

He obviously thinks our list is capable of picking up a game plan quickly.
He could be trying to work out who can and can’t play the game plan that he wants.

Especially if he sees the list as a work in progress.

He could be trying to work out who can and can’t play the game plan that he wants.

Especially if he sees the list as a work in progress.
Yeah, think he'll use this season in part just to throw the magnets around and give out debuts. Try to find out who can and can't play

Yeah, think he'll use this season in part just to throw the magnets around and give out debuts. Try to find out who can and can't play
You have to have a settled game plan first. Afl is about defensive, stoppage and offensive systems. If you don’t have them you get beaten easily regardless of talent. He can’t be still working through major elements of the game plan and throwing players all around the board and debuting new players every week. We will finish last and it will harm the development of the young players as they will be surrounded by chaos.

You have to have a settled game plan first. Afl is about defensive, stoppage and offensive systems. If you don’t have them you get beaten easily regardless of talent. He can’t be still working through major elements of the game plan and throwing players all around the board and debuting new players every week. We will finish last and it will harm the development of the young players as they will be surrounded by chaos.
Not suggesting he'll do it from Round 1, but suspect it would be earlier than Clarko used to do it in seasons past.

Suspect the backline and midfield core will remain pretty consistent, especially early, which will help settle a game plan. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sam mixed things up forward and with the 2nd/3rd string mids. I suspect Jeka and Callow will see minutes before the bye, if things don't click for Lewis/Kossie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back