Toast Sam Mitchell, Hall of fame inductee 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I read something about there needing to be a certain amount of years between retiring and being inducted. Would mean Hodge would be next year.
The year after I think. Pretty sure he played 2 more years than Mitchell

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Can’t remember if it was Hodge or XEllis (the latter actually has heaps of good and refreshing takes IMO) that said it was underrated how tough Sammy was as a player.

Once the ball leaves the centre square he’d charge after it without care for flanks and wings flying in the other way. Not the first thing you think of but just another thing that made him so elite.

Have never seen a player take so many cheap, nasty elbow and snipes as Sam did during his early years. Was constantly getting belted - remember some bad ones when he was walking back to the square after a goal.

Never once stopped playing the ball, and rarely responded.

Was in awe of him in so many ways in most every other direction. But that's some kind of focus he had. Very easy to retaliate, much harder to keep playing to your strength and helping your team win a game.

Absolutely incredible reading of the ball off hands or when it was bouncing around in congestion, an iron-will to improve, heart of a lion, and side step from the Gods.

Also, remember how Brock McLean and some north player (Harris?) Were better than him

I have a living memory of watching hawthorn obsessively for 40 years.

For me our top 2 stand clearly apart from the rest. Dunstall (1) and Mitchell (2).

I loved hodge, derm and crawford more but they weren’t at the same level as a player. Too young for all but the last year or two of lethal & excluded buddy because traitor.

Mitch was tough as they come, supremely skilled, a competitor and probably the smartest footballer I’ve seen.

It’s hard to remember his best games because he was so consistently good. But I do remember he was immense in the 2013 prelim and the 2014 GF.

But my favourite one that sticks in the memory and embodies him best - pies put a hard tag on him (think during 3 peat years), sniped him repeatedly. He laughed in their faces, stuck his head over the ball & was BOG. Legend.

Have never seen a player take so many cheap, nasty elbow and snipes as Sam did during his early years. Was constantly getting belted - remember some bad ones when he was walking back to the square after a goal.
He was a pest (annoying but endearing) to his teammates so you can imagine the amount of sledging he'd have got up to with the opposition. And knowing Sam it would have been some pretty pointed stuff. jab jab

He was a pest (annoying but endearing) to his teammates so you can imagine the amount of sledging he'd have got up to with the opposition. And knowing Sam it would have been some pretty pointed stuff. jab jab
I reckon his sledging would have been that good that it would have got a lot of opposition players offside. His performance matched his sledging hence no reasonable comebacks which would have been infuriating. :)

My earliest recollection of Sam was watching him dominate at Box Hill before we drafted him. I was ecstatic when we did because at the time we severely lacked tough inside mids and were known as a soft outside squad. He changed that perception within a season. He became a more rounded champion player as the years wore on to the point he was used more as an outside player before retirement.

At the time of drafting him I remember calling him the next Diesel to my Carlton mate who laughed at the time. But his legend grew to the point that my mate would hate seeing him demolish Carlton for years to come.

Lets hope his coaching hits the same heights. Cheers to you Sammy.

I reckon his sledging would have been that good that it would have got a lot of opposition players offside. His performance matched his sledging hence no reasonable comebacks which would have been infuriating. :)

My earliest recollection of Sam was watching him dominate at Box Hill before we drafted him. I was ecstatic when we did because at the time we severely lacked tough inside mids and were known as a soft outside squad. He changed that perception within a season. He became a more rounded champion player as the years wore on to the point he was used more as an outside player before retirement.

At the time of drafting him I remember calling him the next Diesel to my Carlton mate who laughed at the time. But his legend grew to the point that my mate would hate seeing him demolish Carlton for years to come.

Lets hope his coaching hits the same heights. Cheers to you Sammy.

Me earliest memory was seeing him dominate against my mates brother in the TAC cup. Now that's what you call a lifelong obsession!

I have a living memory of watching hawthorn obsessively for 40 years.

For me our top 2 stand clearly apart from the rest. Dunstall (1) and Mitchell (2).

I loved hodge, derm and crawford more but they weren’t at the same level as a player. Too young for all but the last year or two of lethal & excluded buddy because traitor.

Mitch was tough as they come, supremely skilled, a competitor and probably the smartest footballer I’ve seen.

It’s hard to remember his best games because he was so consistently good. But I do remember he was immense in the 2013 prelim and the 2014 GF.

But my favourite one that sticks in the memory and embodies him best - pies put a hard tag on him (think during 3 peat years), sniped him repeatedly. He laughed in their faces, stuck his head over the ball & was BOG. Legend.
Yep that’s exactly how i rate them as well.

Dunstall first and Mitchell second for the last 40 years.

What they both had in common was they very rarely played a bad game, consistency is the hallmark of a true champion IMO.

Definitely refined that to an art form during later years. Didn't see it so much early on, but who knows. He definitely knew how to get punched in the head, so you could well be right.

It was an awesome display of focus though, that the multiple punches to the head couldn't get him off his game.

I don't think I've ever seen that from another one of our players that I can recall. Got a lot of it did Sam.

Never once stopped playing the ball, and rarely responded.

Was in awe of him in so many ways in most every other direction. But that's some kind of focus he had. Very easy to retaliate, much harder to keep playing to your strength and helping your team win a game.

Absolutely incredible reading of the ball off hands or when it was bouncing around in congestion, an iron-will to improve, heart of a lion, and side step from the Gods.

Pissed me off when Robbo on 360 said to his face that he was a 'nasty' player. Sam replied saying he was suspended once in his career. There's a difference between being a dirty player and what Sam was, which was a competitive, tough player. The uncouth way to describe it which I actually like is having a bit of campaigner in you. Often can be the difference between the good and great players. See Zak Butters.

Pissed me off when Robbo on 360 said to his face that he was a 'nasty' player. Sam replied saying he was suspended once in his career. There's a difference between being a dirty player and what Sam was, which was a competitive, tough player. The uncouth way to describe it which I actually like is having a bit of campaigner in you. Often can be the difference between the good and great players. See Zak Butters.

Shows how much that guy knows about footy. But even if Sam had gotten nasty, he took years of being belted hard in his stride.

If he had no campaigner in him naturally, he would have had to develop it to survive. Your body doesn't like being punched like that for years at a time.

Ultimate competitor though as you say. Just willed himself into an elite career on the back of natural talent at reading where the ball was going. That streak of wanting to become better only widened too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did the same thing on his 300th game episode on 360 as well. I remember he led that segment with Gerald and his first question is "Is he well liked?". It seemed a really odd agenda to do on such a big night for him, and was surprised he tried to run that line of thinking as the narrative should be how tough he was and how many hits he took, but somehow they spun it to him being a 'nasty' 'ruthless' player... having watched him for years that seemed a bizarre way to summarise him as he is a ball winner. Robbo knew he didn't appreciate it on his 300th nigh yet he brought it up again on HOF night... so it is clearly deliberate. I think Robinson really, really didn't like the jab gesture from Mitchell that time.

He did the same thing on his 300th game episode on 360 as well. I remember he led that segment with Gerald and his first question is "Is he well liked?". It seemed a really odd agenda to do on such a big night for him, and was surprised he tried to run that line of thinking as the narrative should be how tough he was and how many hits he took, but somehow they spun it to him being a 'nasty' 'ruthless' player... having watched him for years that seemed a bizarre way to summarise him as he is a ball winner. Robbo knew he didn't appreciate it on his 300th nigh yet he brought it up again on HOF night... so it is clearly deliberate. I think Robinson really, really didn't like the jab gesture from Mitchell that time.
He's a Don at the core. He doesn't like Sam.

Pretty sure he's talking about Daniel Harris, from memory that was the comparison.
It's just that Brian Lake who was drafted as Brian Harris was taken at pick 71 in the same draft as Sam Mitchell who went at pick 36 in the 2001 AFL Draft, I don't believe Daniel Harris was drafted in that draft, but I guess it was a midfielder comparison? It's crazy to think someone compared Daniel Harris to Sam Mitchell in a positive way to Harris when it was obvious from day 1 Sam was a very good player.

And that was for a high tackle that was a result of Robert Harvey side stepping
It's just that Brian Lake who was drafted as Brian Harris was taken at pick 71 in the same draft as Sam Mitchell who went at pick 36 in the 2001 AFL Draft, I don't believe Daniel Harris was drafted in that draft, but I guess it was a midfielder comparison? It's crazy to think someone compared Daniel Harris to Sam Mitchell in a positive way to Harris when it was obvious from day 1 Sam was a very good player.

Daniel Harris. It's on one of the boards.

Pretty sure he's talking about Daniel Harris, from memory that was the comparison.
Yeah it was a classic. North nuffys were adamant Harris was going to be twice the player Sam was.

One of the all time classics.

It was hard to fathom at the time but it is ridiculous in hindsight lol

I unfortunately ready the whole thing recently. Delusion at its finest. And I loved the bump and how pissed North supporters were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back