Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

hahaha well I am not convinced by our late season form. We have done that before in other seasons only to fall away due to inconsistency and the opposition restricting the way we move the ball. Transition has been a major issue for us. We still don't hit that last kick inside 50 consistently and our forward line is still a work in progress

That final kick inside 50 is where we're still going to struggle I feel, but it goes hand in hand with the forward line and how they can get themselves free and create space for each other. I feel a lot more comfortable with our forward line the way it is going into this year than I have for a few years now. Gunston and Breust are still able to contribute and provide that nous, and now we have others in Kosi and Lewis that are able to take more of a lead role.

hahaha well I am not convinced by our late season form. We have done that before in other seasons only to fall away due to inconsistency and the opposition restricting the way we move the ball. Transition has been a major issue for us. We still don't hit that last kick inside 50 consistently and our forward line is still a work in progress
Gunston into half forward roaming high, Day to the Wing, Bramble/Scrimshaw playing attacking half back…. Simples.

Our forward half is a work in progress, no doubt, but it’s also shown to be more than capable with average supply. Take off the pessimism pants, FP….dare to dream! 😅

A49359C7-20C4-45E8-8905-DAD1AF3382CC.jpeg

Just remember what we did last season will be looked at closely by other teams when they are doing their opposition analysis. So we need to adapt and change
You think they are going to stop shitting themselves when jai and or Nash are smashing them in tackles? 😉

That final kick inside 50 is where we're still going to struggle I feel, but it goes hand in hand with the forward line and how they can get themselves free and create space for each other. I feel a lot more comfortable with our forward line the way it is going into this year than I have for a few years now. Gunston and Breust are still able to contribute and provide that nous, and now we have others in Kosi and Lewis that are able to take more of a lead role.
If Kosi and Lewis learn how to lead and halve contests better it will bring our other weapons into play. We need to be the best ground level forward line in the comp again until develop or recruit gun kpf (even after would be good). But we need the key forwards we have to contribute more and consistently. They got better later in the year so let’s hope that continues and we don’t have significant regression among those players.

Gunston into half forward roaming high, Day to the Wing, Bramble/Scrimshaw playing attacking half back…. Simples.

Our forward half is a work in progress, no doubt, but it’s also shown to be more than capable with average supply. Take off the pessimism pants, FP….dare to dream! 😅

View attachment 1298442
Not pessimistic just need more data mate. At the moment that is my position

You think they are going to stop shitting themselves when jai and or Nash are smashing them in tackles? 😉
Jai is definitely having a great pre season. I think one thing we will not be next year is timid. We will be hard and tough we won't be intimidated

Jai is definitely having a great pre season. I think one thing we will not be next year is timid. We will be hard and tough we won't be intimidated

Looking at the photos of Newcombe's rig he looks absolutely primed. I know we have a lot of younger players to be excited about but he is absolutely at the top of my list with Day.

Assistant coaches
Robert Harvey – Midfield

Adrian Hickmott – Contest

David Hale – Forwards

Chris Newman – Backline

Damian Monkhorst – Rucks

Andy Collins – Head of Development

Andy Otten – Development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that. Understand the contest/stoppages position, in a general sense, but how does it work in terms of organisation of lines, coaches & players?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stoppages occur all over the field. The stoppage coach devises plans for midfield backline and forward line stoppages. This includes the structure, the number of players and the type of players at a stoppage. He will also have plans for different times in the game for instance he may have more players at a stoppage if we are 5 points behind or in front with 5 minutes to play to win that contest to either retain possession or attack. He might also adjust his stoppages to be more attacking or defensive etc

Thanks, again, TFP ... always appreciate your insights.

Sounds pretty damned important ... whole field, strategic et al.

Hickmott seems like a pretty good operator ... hopefully, we're in good hands.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Love him. He was hard and tough as a player and training has been hard and tough thus far. No place to hide

Looking at the photos of Newcombe's rig he looks absolutely primed. I know we have a lot of younger players to be excited about but he is absolutely at the top of my list with Day.
First actual preseason looks to be paying off, last year he looked solid fat/muscle but currently he's looking like a beast, repeat efforts with his hunger at the contest could see record tackle numbers fall.

List quality is our biggest issue. We’ve seen the past few years, once we lose a couple of our key players, we’ve struggled with depth. Having turned over more than half the list in 12 months, we’ve had the most list upheaval probably in the history of the club, so getting the players to jive together with a new game plan will be where Sam’s work is cut out.

The upside however is huge. Our kids looks as exciting a crop as we’ve had in 15 years and I’m excited by the new coaching group and new ideas. Like 4P says, the jury is out, but I honestly think we could win anywhere from 4 games to 12…

Hopefully that occurs. Need the game plan to back it up, though. No point being tough if you're getting embarrassed on the scoreboard.

List quality is our biggest issue. We’ve seen the past few years, once we lose a couple of our key players, we’ve struggled with depth. Having turned over more than half the list in 12 months, we’ve had the most list upheaval probably in the history of the club, so getting the players to jive together with a new game plan will be where Sam’s work is cut out.

The upside however is huge. Our kids looks as exciting a crop as we’ve had in 15 years and I’m excited by the new coaching group and new ideas. Like 4P says, the jury is out, but I honestly think we could win anywhere from 4 games to 12…
I don’t disagree, but we competed with and got the better of top four teams with a bunch of players missing of the last month.

We belted the Dogs, when we were without…

Worpel
O’Meara
Breust
Gunston
Sicily
Moore
Jiath
Day
DGB

We also drew with Melbourne with Wingard, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Day, Hardwick, Sicily, Gunston and Impey missing. Regardless of what their reasons were for not blowing us off the park, we played some good footy without a heap of our better players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back