Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Our world class guys are taking a hammering lately, Daniel Geale being the latest victim. Now the focus shifts to Sam Soliman, who only one fight back had a world title belt around his waist.

Sam Soliman vs Domenic Wade confirmed for June 26

Former IBF middleweight champ Sam Soliman will fight up-and-coming Dominic Wade in Washington, on June 26. Soliman, 41, who is making a comeback from a potential career ending knee injury is giving away 16 years to take on former US Olympic champion, 25-year-old Dominic Wade, who is undefeated in 17 professional fights, 12 by knockout.

“I live for the challenge and I have my sights set on regaining the world title,” Soliman said. “I was offered the fight with Dominic Wade and it’s not in my DNA to say no. It’s a dangerous fight because Wade is young and has nothing to lose. I’ve worked hard to overcome my injury and regain the form required to fight at the highest level. Now I’m back to my best, and hungry to be a two-time champion.”

“Everytime I threw a punch (in the Taylor fight) it felt like a nail was being driven into my knee, but I wasn’t going to give up,” Soliman said. “That set-back has made me stronger. I’ve got a new knee, a great team, and the will to endure.”

Team Soliman have confirmation from the IBF World body that Soliman’s fight with Wade will not impact on his elimination bout eligibility to take on the winner of the vacant IBF middleweight world title, which will be decided when Hasan N’Dam and David Lemieux meet on June 20.

by Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/soliman ... -26-291720

Dominic Wade aims for breakout win vs Sam Soliman on June 26th

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2015...or-breakout-win-versus-sam-soliman-on-june-26

Young undefeated middleweight prospect Dominic "Lights Out" Wade will take on the toughest opponent of his career when he faces former world champion Sam "King" Soliman in the main event on Friday, June 26, live on SHOWTIME from Washington.

dominic%2Bwade%2Blin.JPG

Wade 17-0 and Soliman 44-12 will clash in the 10-round middleweight main event.

If triumphant, Wade will begin to transition from promising prospect to legitimate contender.

While Wade is unbeaten, Soliman is vastly more experienced, having competed in four world championship fights. He held the IBF Middleweight World Championship before suffering a debilitating knee injury and losing via unanimous decision to Jermain Taylor in his first title defense last October. Soliman, who was leading on the judges' scorecards at the time of the injury, will make his first start since losing the 160-pound title.

"This is a great opportunity for me to face a former world champion," Wade said. "While he's more experienced I truly believe my time has arrived and I plan to show the boxing world that I'm ready for the next level."

"I know what it takes to be a world champion, the sacrifices needed to endure, the battles that need to be won. My road to regaining the world title begins on June 26 against Dominic Wade," said Soliman.

Soliman departs for USA

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/soliman-departs-for-usa-293928

Sam Soliman has departed Melbourne and will arrive in Los Angeles on Wednesday for his showdown with WBA #12, WBC #15 Dominic Wade on June 26 in Washington.

Soliman said he will be training in Los Angeles for 2 weeks before arriving in Washington and is confident of victory.

“I have trained very hard for my bout against Dominic Wade and I know I will be victorious. Wade has a big amateur background, but as a professional he hasn’t boxed any world rated boxers."

“There’s no doubt he has good skills but he doesn’t have the ability of Felix Sturm or Jermain Taylor. When I won the title in Germany against Sturm I won ten of the twelve rounds. When I lost the title against Taylor I was well ahead on the scorecards and controlling the fight until I injured my knee at the end of round five.

“I should be fighting Sergio Mora later in the year and I’m hoping it will be for the IBF mandatory position. I’m confident I’ll get the win over Mora and that will see me challenging the winner of Hassan N’Dam vs. David Lemieux. I’m positive the Lemieux will defeat N’Dam."

The final word from both >

SAM SOLIMAN

“The right knee that I hurt against Jermain Taylor is 100 percent. I’ll be wearing a brace but it is nothing I’ll be thinking about. I had four months of rehab, but I’ve been injury-free in the seven months since.

“As a former kickboxer, I have been in a million wars, so this wasn’t even the worst injury I’ve ever suffered. You can’t compare it to what I went through as a kickboxer so I feel great. There are no mental fears or anything.

“I don’t want to be a stepping stone for anybody. I feel his promoters and advisors made a mistake in picking me. I still have plenty of fight left. They could have picked a lot of other fighters if they were looking to make a name for Wade.

“For me to still be fighting has nothing to do with age or special genes. It’s all about how you live your life.

“Wade is a good boxer, a smart kid who will try and keep you at bay. But I’ve fought 30-40 guys with that style. He’s talented and I don’t want to take anything away from him, but you need to have some tough fights. I know they see me as their ticket to a world ranking, a 41-year-old former champion. But they picked the wrong guy.’’

DOMINIC WADE

“For me this is a big step up in class. Soliman is a very experienced fighter; I definitely don’t look at him as just some 41-year old who still fights. He’s a spoiler. He’s the kind of fighter that is difficult to look good against because he’s so awkward. I expect him to jump and throw punches and then hold, but I’ve trained to control him from the outside with my jab.

“I feel like it’s time for a real test. It’s time to see where I’m at. I could have fought easier, but I’ve been working hard at the gym and this is the time for me to start moving toward a world title shot.

“Going 10 rounds with Nick Brinson [in his ShoBox debut in June 2014] was a good learning experience. I thought I was going to stop him for sure, probably early, but he was tougher than I thought. He surprised me. Nothing Soliman will do will surprise me and I am 100 percent ready for Friday.’’

Surprised they are stepping Wade up against a fighter like Soliman. I guess the ranking is what they are after but with Soliman's style it's a risky option imo.

A bit off topic but had to laugh at the weigh-in for one of the other fights on the card. Herring vs Cortes was meant to take place at 135 pounds but Cortes weighed in at 150.6 pounds.

Surprised they are stepping Wade up against a fighter like Soliman. I guess the ranking is what they are after but with Soliman's style it's a risky option imo.

A bit off topic but had to laugh at the weigh-in for one of the other fights on the card. Herring vs Cortes was meant to take place at 135 pounds but Cortes weighed in at 150.6 pounds.

I concur on that. Fighting Soliman is like fighting an octopus on speed. Unless Wade works him out he could be in all sorts.

SMH what a robbery. Disgraceful. Even without the bogus knockdown and the throw from Wade, Soliman was still clearly the winner.

Last edited:
SMH what a robbery. Disgraceful. Even without the bogus knockdown and the throw from Wade, Soliman was still clearly the winner.

Soliman was absolutely stiffed. You don't have to look any further than the punch count to see evidence of that.

3 US judges, in the US, delivered the US fighter an absolute gift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just reading it about on my Facebook feed :eek:

Absolutely robbed.

Sammy was used for his name. Our man won that fight hands down. Wade looked all at sea against Sammy's awkward style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back