Boxing Tyson Fury vs Francis Ngannou | October 28, 2023 (4am Sunday AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

I put it down to weight, first time in years he hasn't had a massive weight advantage.

A few times he went to put his weight down on Francis, and Francis straighted right up. Fury seemed surprised with how well Francis handled the clinching.

A few times he went to put his weight down on Francis, and Francis straighted right up. Fury seemed surprised with how well Francis handled the clinching.
100% he puts his weight on his smaller opponents every fight, had no effect in this one but against Usyk he'll be back to it.

I'll have to digest it more but I don't think it's that simple. His movement was s**t, he couldn't set up a combination and catch Francis which even stipe did in the loss. I dunno that wasn't Tyson Fury.
I think Francis is incredibly coachable, hes a sponge imo. Hes improved massively from every fight. That Francis would bum rush from the get go. He's learned real patience and having Mike Tyson coaching you for 6 months probably doesn't hurt.

No doubt Fury didn't take him seriously but how can you game plan for a guy you don't really know what he's going to bring. He couldn't lean on Francis and took the most damage from Ngannou bridging him off with one forearm and throwing uppercuts with the free hand. Francis wasn't rushing him much, except for rounds 5-6 which was when Fury looked the best, so he couldn't counter strike him.

Francis didn't do enough to win this boxing match, but he's clearly the big winner here. Clearly capable, and with power that can frighten anyone, regardless of the glove size. Hindsight and all that, but Fury not being able to lean on and tire Ngannou out really made a difference.

Wilder vs Ngannou is almost the most exciting prospective fight you could make in boxing right now - hyperbole noted. I'd favour Wilder to flatten him, but the size difference would make it interesting.

I'm asking you, if you want to judge what other people spend their money on for entertainment, what do you spend your money on for entertainment?
With the internet just about everything is at your fingertips, there's no way I would ever support (financially) any of Tinsel Town's business models. If I HAVE to see a visually spectacular movie on the big screen then ok off to the cinema, I don't even do that anymore coz well..my money goes back to Hollywood.

Music (technically listening, not 'watching') I can get again just about anything I want...However, if a song that I really love comes from independent artist(s), I'd go out of my way, yes jump thru many hoops, to pay that artist. Like this:

other than that, I go to Botanic Gardens for relaxation/learning...completely free.

I didn't watch the fight in the morning....I watched a replay on twitter in the afternoon despite knowing the result.

I couldn't believe Francis went 10 rounds let alone looking better than Fury. I thought his endurance was gonna drop much sooner but he kept goin.

This is a big L for boxing and it'll be certified when Fury v Usyk doesn't happen.....because I don't think it will now. We may even not see Fury fight again.

There's not a chance in hell he'd do the rematch with Francis in MMA.

There's not a chance in hell he'd do the rematch with Francis in MMA.

Why even talk about this like it was remotely possible. I don't even blame boxers for not doing it, it's actually not fair.

Why even talk about this like it was remotely possible. I don't even blame boxers for not doing it, it's actually not fair.
Well there was talks but I guess that was just fairy floss to promote their boxing bout.

I agree you....it wouldn't be fair.

Claressa Shields is the most recent boxer to do it and be successful.

Big respect to her just getting in the cage.

Well there was talks but I guess that was just fairy floss to promote their boxing bout.

I agree you....it wouldn't be fair.

Claressa Shields is the most recent boxer to do it and be successful.

Big respect to her just getting in the cage.
Against to be fair, very low level girls to start. Big difference fighting the UFC heavyweight champ.

If they had a boxing match in UFC gloves sure. Fury has almost no grappling an BJJ training it would be a stupid fight because Francis would just sweep his legs and pound him until the referee stepped in

That was never going to happen and rightly so, you'd need to pay Fury well into the 8 figures for that I'd suggest.
Probably 9.
He apparently made 50mil for the the Ngannou fight, I think he'd have to be done with boxing because Ngannou would blast his knee off a ruin his fighting career so fast

Probably 9.
He apparently made 50mil for the the Ngannou fight, I think he'd have to be done with boxing because Ngannou would blast his knee off a ruin his fighting career so fast

You're probably right. The only way we'll get prime pro boxers going to MMA is if MMA starts paying 10 times more than boxing, just won't happen in our lifetimes.

Women seem to be more likely to do it, someone mentioned Claressa Shields, there's also been Holly Holm and a few others.

You're probably right. The only way we'll get prime pro boxers going to MMA is if MMA starts paying 10 times more than boxing, just won't happen in our lifetimes.

Women seem to be more likely to do it, someone mentioned Claressa Shields, there's also been Holly Holm and a few others.
Yeah and let's be real. Holly holm transitioned and then trained full time. Won the title against a one dimensional fighter. Shields was 26 and she went to the PFL. I mean, fair play but she's fighting chicks who don't deserve to be in a standup up with her and there aren't exactly a stack of good female wrestlers.

I mean Pereria count? He was a kickboxer but he certainly didn't have a ground game and became a world champion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and let's be real. Holly holm transitioned and then trained full time. Won the title against a one dimensional fighter. Shields was 26 and she went to the PFL. I mean, fair play but she's fighting chicks who don't deserve to be in a standup up with her and there aren't exactly a stack of good female wrestlers.

I mean Pereria count? He was a kickboxer but he certainly didn't have a ground game and became a world champion
Kickboxing serves as a much better foundation block going into MMA than straight up boxing does.

Last edited:

I watched Shield's first MMA fight and her opponent was apparently a BJJ brown belt, Shields hung pretty well with her on the ground. She seems like an elite athlete so i guess that helped a bit.

Yeah Pereira kind of counts I guess. They did manage his path to the title of course, someone like Brunson would have been a big problem for him I'd imagine, but he got the strap of course, also destroyed the current MW champ.

Kickboxing serves has a much better foundation block going into MMA than straight up boxing does.

Yeah there's been a lot more Glory guys coming in to the UFC of late it seems. I guess with kickboxing obviously you learn how to kick but also keep the fight at a kicking distance as opposed to punching. Of course you can kick further than you can punch so that can be crucial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back