MMA-UFC UFC 296 - Sunday 17th December, 10:00AM AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're getting this backwards mate if you don't like Colby fine lol but that was not a great performance by either and kinda shows how much you hate him if you think it was. He backed him up and kicked his leg for 3 rounds

I predicted Colby to win, it's earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately he lost all but one round on significant strikes, got taken down twice by a striker, and was toyed with for the entirely of the fight - to the point where Leon was trying to sub him just to prove a point. A casual 25 minute sparing session for Leon, and a final and missed chance at gold for Colby.

I predicted Colby to win, it's earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately he lost all but one round on significant strikes, got taken down twice by a striker, and was toyed with for the entirely of the fight - to the point where Leon was trying to sub him just to prove a point. A casual 25 minute sparing session for Leon, and a final and missed chance at gold for Colby.
See while this could be mostly true although I thought Colby won 4/5
It was called a masterclass of striking, it wasn't. He landed one decent head kick after a scramble and one hook that Colby smiled at. There wasn't a single other strike in the fight that made you go owwww or the crowd react. It was a s**t performance from both guys. Colby for not showing up until the end and Leon for having a poor striker backing up for 3 rounds and barely bloody throwing at him. That was his chance to get the crowd on side, you think he got anyone wanting to watch him next fight after that?

I think you're getting this backwards mate if you don't like Colby fine lol but that was not a great performance by either and kinda shows how much you hate him if you think it was. He backed him up and kicked his leg for 3 rounds
Disagree, it was shocking fight from Colby, literally played into Leon’s hands and gave him the easiest fight possible for a striker, like the other guy said Leon even got him to the ground and went for a couple subs, which is Colby’s wheelhouse, he was so far off it today it’s not funny.

See while this could be mostly true although I thought Colby won 4/5
It was called a masterclass of striking, it wasn't. He landed one decent head kick after a scramble and one hook that Colby smiled at. There wasn't a single other strike in the fight that made you go owwww or the crowd react. It was a s**t performance from both guys. Colby for not showing up until the end and Leon for having a poor striker backing up for 3 rounds and barely bloody throwing at him. That was his chance to get the crowd on side, you think he got anyone wanting to watch him next fight after that?

I'm not talking about entertainment. Colby couldn't do anything, because Leon made it that way - and he did it without having to get out of 2nd gear. You don't have to land huge volumes to completely shut someone out.

In terms of entertainment value - no argument from me. I liked the fight, but I'm a nerd. It wasn't one that'll be on many highlight reels.

I'm not talking about entertainment. Colby couldn't do anything, because Leon made it that way - and he did it without having to get out of 2nd gear. You don't have to land huge volumes to completely shut someone out.

In terms of entertainment value - no argument from me. I liked the fight, but I'm a nerd. It wasn't one that'll be on many highlight reels.
I know he didn't get out of second gear, neither did Colby. Colby had relative success moving forward in the latter rounds. An Leon isn't Izzy fighting Periera where has to be cautious because of the opponent, he's a guy no one cares about who had one of the shitter strikers in the UFC going backwards and still didn't pull the trigger. That was his chance to win some fans and he didn't take it

I know he didn't get out of second gear, neither did Colby. Colby had relative success moving forward in the latter rounds. An Leon isn't Izzy fighting Periera where has to be cautious because of the opponent, he's a guy no one cares about who had one of the shitter strikers in the UFC going backwards and still didn't pull the trigger. That was his chance to win some fans and he didn't take it

If Colby didn't get out of second gear, then he's a *in idiot - because he wasn't getting picked apart from the outside for 4 of 5 rounds while Edwards was only breathing out of his nose lol

What valor is there in taking it easy and then comprehensively losing?

Edwards went in there and got an easy peasy title defence while taking essentially no damage. He could have done more absolutely - but he didn't he to. He was able to do the bare minimum and shut Colby out.

Colby did bugger all. He had to take the belt.. it doesn't just get given. Instead he did very, very little for 4.5 rounds.
He's finished.
He did nothing.

5 round mma fight where Colby did nothing at all. Waiting for the excuse.

He raised his hands 🤣🤣🤣

Bingo, Colby did nothing for the first 2 rounds. Like literally nothing. When he tried to wrestle, he got beat initially but creating scrambles was better than whatever the * he was doing the first half of the fight. Shambolic effort and he got booed out of the arena for it.

Belal surely wont get a title fight. Sure probably deserves one but * him. Give shitrat the fight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really see why Edwards seems opposed to fighting Belal. The other options in the top 5 that he hasn't defended against already are Burns and Shavkat, and I'd rather fight Belal than either of those two.

I put on my conspiracy theorist hat...

Trump wants to pump himself up...as always...so will pay Colby
Colby happily accepts big fat paycheck, bigger than a fiddy K bonus...guarantees Trump a loss + promotional speech
Trump puts money on Leon For the Win, he would get some bozo to lay the bet for him of course.
Trump wins
Colby loses but wins brown paper bag, gives speech
Trump happy

....we get s**t fight, happy I went up the river (well it WAS a stream in Toolangi Forest)

Third chance at the belt and you throw up that type of performance? Dead set I was a fan, done with Colby now, to much rubbish doesn't back it up.

Ferguson is done, absolute rubbish fighter now.

Mitchell goes in heavy fav and gets smoked unbelievable how hard Emmitt can hit.

Dana has taken responsibility for Strickland and DDP and probably fair don't remember two fighters so close to a fight ever being that close.

Third chance at the belt and you throw up that type of performance? Dead set I was a fan, done with Colby now, to much rubbish doesn't back it up.

Ferguson is done, absolute rubbish fighter now.

Mitchell goes in heavy fav and gets smoked unbelievable how hard Emmitt can hit.

Dana has taken responsibility for Strickland and DDP and probably fair don't remember two fighters so close to a fight ever being that close.
Ferguson was done before tonight. Hes lucky Paddy is s**t

Ferguson will 100% end up in BKFC or PFL though. Sad really

Not sure why everyone is shitting on Leon.

Colby did sweet * all for 20 minutes.
Personally I dislike pure counter strikers for this reason. Colby fought like hed hadnt been in the octogon for nearly two years. He offered zero threat on the feet and still the fight was not brought to him. Should Colby have been way better, yes, should the fresher, fitter fighter have brought it to him, also yes.

Ferguson was done before tonight. Hes lucky Paddy is s**t

Ferguson will 100% end up in BKFC or PFL though. Sad really
100% disagree on Paddy

He may not be world champ be he is legit top 5-15 potential

Ferguson should retire but tbf look at the Killers on his losing streak. Gaethje, Olivira, Dariush, Chandler, Diaz, Bobby Greene and now Pumblett

That is a ******* list of who is who

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Personally I dislike pure counter strikers for this reason. Colby fought like hed hadnt been in the octogon for nearly two years. He offered zero threat on the feet and still the fight was not brought to him. Should Colby have been way better, yes, should the fresher, fitter fighter have brought it to him, also yes.
Leon is always going to cop it, just as Izzy has. Unless someone brings the fight to him in the stand up (or grapples their way to victory), Leon is just too good a counter-striker. I'm in the boat that he did exactly what he should have done. Takes no damage, makes Colby look stupid and walks away with a second defence under his belt.

Really pathetic showing from Colby though. Looked hesitant and oddly enough, lacking confidence. He well and truly had the crowd on his side as the fight started, but had even lost most of them by the time his post-interview nonsense was over. The schtick is tired, he doesn't even seem as committed to it, and the results just aren't there. He went on a nice run then really took it to Usman, but his time is well and truly over.

100% disagree on Paddy

He may not be world champ be he is legit top 5-15 potential

Ferguson should retire but tbf look at the Killers on his losing streak. Gaethje, Olivira, Dariush, Chandler, Diaz, Bobby Greene and now Pumblett

That is a ******* list of who is who

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
There's huge potential in Paddy but I'm not sure he'll ever get there. Athletically gifted, power and speed in his hands and a high-level grappling game. But tends to wing all his kicks and punches while sticking his chin straight in the air, and seems to struggle to mix the two sides of his game in a meaningful way. If he wants to work on it, and gets the right coaching behind him, I can see him challenging.

Nah, hes the champ. Colby needs to win the belt, why should Leon be reckless and open himself up to unnecessary risk in a fight he was dominating?

Nah, hes the champ. Colby needs to win the belt, why should Leon be reckless and open himself up to unnecessary risk in a fight he was dominating?
He doesn't have to do anything, but we don't have to sit there and call it a masterclass either it was a s**t title defence against a bloke who did absolutely nothing. That wasn't Izzy being defensive against Romero or Cannonier, both guys who can kill you with one shot. That was Leon not being able to meaningfully hit Colby Covington walking backwards

I don't know where people think I'm defending Colby, I think leons performance was so s**t because Colby's was even worse. Leon's shows any desire at all and he finishes him in the first 3 rounds easy. He wasn't even worried about the takedown so there was actually no excuse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back