Draft Profile Sam Walsh - Selected by Carlton with pick 1!

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
He'll be a high production mid for sure; he'll get lots of it, and has enough pace and endurance to do a lot.

Disposal still remains a bit of a concern for mine. That said, it did improve slightly as the year wore on.

Reckon Danger is a reasonable comparison with Walsh. Danger hasnt exactly got elite disposal (im not saying it's bad, but it's not his strength), but he more than makes up for it by being exceptional everywhere else.

I reckon if Walsh strings it together at AFL level (and I'm all but certain he will) he'll turn out to be a player in the mold of Dangerfield. That's probably his ceiling. At absolute worst he'll turn out a slightly better version of Masten (and I reckon that's highly unlikely).

I dont reckon he's the kind of bloke that will die wondering either, and he'll give in 100 percent once drafted.

Rankine for mine is the much more talented player, but Walsh is the safe bet 200 gamer.

Yep Danger was the first player I thought of when watching his highlights.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Reckon Danger is a reasonable comparison with Walsh. Danger hasnt exactly got elite disposal (im not saying it's bad, but it's not his strength), but he more than makes up for it by being exceptional everywhere else.

I reckon if Walsh strings it together at AFL level (and I'm all but certain he will) he'll turn out to be a player in the mold of Dangerfield. That's probably his ceiling. At absolute worst he'll turn out a slightly better version of Masten (and I reckon that's highly unlikely).
He's still only a kid of course, but I just don't see him having the explosive power of a guy like Dangerfield. For mine Walsh is more in the Treloar or Kelly mould, capable in the contest but fundamentally a run-and-carry midfielder. A bit Marc Murphy, now that I think about it, who was obscenely good at it for a few years there.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
He's still only a kid of course, but I just don't see him having the explosive power of a guy like Dangerfield. For mine Walsh is more in the Treloar or Kelly mould, capable in the contest but fundamentally a run-and-carry midfielder. A bit Marc Murphy, now that I think about it, who was obscenely good at it for a few years there.

Marc was outside that went inside. He is more like Lenny Hayes and Simon Black.

Last edited:
Walsh may still be growing.
His younger brother is close to 200cm. His dad is tall too. He will grow some more I reckon.
Outstanding young man from a terrific family.

His younger brother is close to 200cm. His dad is tall too. He will grow some more I reckon.
Outstanding young man from a terrific family.

Cripps grew something like over 7cms from the time he was drafted to what he is now.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Walsh is being overated I reckon, looking at him in this game, he hit only about 30% of targets.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Walsh is being overated I reckon, looking at him in this game, he hit only about 30% of targets.

Look at his 2017 and 2018 championship highlights - that gives you a far better indication of what he’s capable of.

His ceiling isn’t as high as Luko, Rankine, Rozee or Smith, but he will still be a very good footballer and the perfect choice for Carlton.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Look at his 2017 and 2018 championship highlights - that gives you a far better indication of what he’s capable of.

His ceiling isn’t as high as Luko, Rankine, Rozee or Smith, but he will still be a very good footballer and the perfect choice for Carlton.
I still reckon you should trade pick 1 for Gold Coasts picks 3 and 24. At pick 3 you will get Walsh Rankine or Lukosius and at pick 23 address list needs. I think Rankine and Lukosius are going to be better than Walsh.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I still reckon you should trade pick 1 for Gold Coasts picks 3 and 24. At pick 3 you will get Walsh Rankine or Lukosius and at pick 23 address list needs. I think Rankine and Lukosius are going to be better than Walsh.

In that scenario Gold Coast would take Walsh at Pick 1 and we’ve shoehorned Walsh for our first pick unless we receive an offer too good to refuse like Pick 1 for Pick 3 and Pick 6, and Gold Coast would be silly to do that given the depth of top end talent in this draft.

I’d personally prefer Smith, but Walsh is still a good pick.

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
And for the same reasons GC wouldn't do that trade.

Prolific inside/outside ball winner who can be dodgy by foot? Treloar comparisons are on point.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Looked every bit the AFL player in our scratch match against the Hawks today.

BOG for us even.

Disposal was fine, and running patterns excellent. Won a lot of 1 on 1's and even a few 2 on 1's.

Am still on the Rankine bandwagon, but he's making me look foolish in the best possible way.

Back