Draft Profile Sam Walsh - Selected by Carlton with pick 1!

Remove this Banner Ad

At this point in time.. I think Carlton are sitting back with feet up , whiskey in a short glass in one hand , a cigar in the other ...and saying.. "over to you Gold Coast and Stk" ...

Walsh is the type of pick you wish and hope is available in the year when you have the number #1 pick.. its taken a while but they have hit the motherload.

At this point in time.. I think Carlton are sitting back with feet up , whiskey in a short glass in one hand , a cigar in the other ...and saying.. "over to you Gold Coast and Stk" ...

Walsh is the type of pick you wish and hope is available in the year when you have the number #1 pick.. its taken a while but they have hit the motherload.
Looks to be Gaff quality.
Question will be do they have the players to develop that West Coast have at all ends of the ground.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was firmly in the Rankine bandwagon (and I still cant wait to see Izak turn it on at AFL level) but I couldnt be more impressed with Walsh.

You're happy with 15-20 touches for a 1st year mid. He had 28, and looked damn good doing it. 12 contested, 3 clearances, 4 tackles and 8 I50's, at a respectable 75 percent in that lot. More than 500 meters gained.

He ran hard for link play in support of his team-mates, while being prepared to get his own ball, he tackled, he ran both ways, he advanced the ball at every opportunity.

He's AFL quality now, and in 3-4 years good lord.

Watching him, I see Nathan Buckley mk2. Moves like him and plays like him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was firmly in the Rankine bandwagon (and I still cant wait to see Izak turn it on at AFL level) but I couldnt be more impressed with Walsh.

You're happy with 15-20 touches for a 1st year mid. He had 28, and looked damn good doing it. 12 contested, 3 clearances, 4 tackles and 8 I50's, at a respectable 75 percent in that lot. More than 500 meters gained.

He ran hard for link play in support of his team-mates, while being prepared to get his own ball, he tackled, he ran both ways, he advanced the ball at every opportunity.

Would you still take Rankine over Walsh?

Would you still take Rankine over Walsh?

For me its still too early. I was big on Rankine but understood our midfield needs were greater than our small forward needs. Ecstatic with Walsh so far from his training reports and backed up at JLT. Havent heard much on Rankine aside from him starring in the praccy.

Worth revisiting at end of season though

For me its still too early. I was big on Rankine but understood our midfield needs were greater than our small forward needs. Ecstatic with Walsh so far from his training reports and backed up at JLT. Havent heard much on Rankine aside from him starring in the praccy.

Worth revisiting at end of season though

Need to see Rankine at AFL level before I comment further.

But at this stage, still yes.

That said, currently wavering hard.

Rankine made a lot of our best 22 midfielders look very ordinary in our practice match versus Gold Coast. Pretty sure he stiff armed don’t argue Lachie Neale, wheeled on to his right and kicked a goal from 50’ish. Another time he shimmied and left two defenders flat footed and delivered a lace out ball in to the forward 50.

Kid is going to make a lot of players look silly. He’s going to be a game changer, match winner.

Rankine made a lot of our best 22 midfielders look very ordinary in our practice match versus Gold Coast. Pretty sure he stiff armed don’t argue Lachie Neale, wheeled on to his right and kicked a goal from 50’ish. Another time he shimmied and left two defenders flat footed and delivered a lace out ball in to the forward 50.

Kid is going to make a lot of players look silly. He’s going to be a game changer, match winner.

Walsh is not without his own highlights. Had some very good displays so far. Very keen to see more Rankine. All three of Walsh, Rankine, and Lukosius have been offered extensions before even playing a game. Signs are good on these three at least

Played a very very good game and looking like he will become a good player for carlton for many years to come, very cotchin like in some things he does.
Well done blues you have a good player

I was also a Rankine fan at #1

Really hope Rankine stays long term at the Suns, its unhealthy for the comp to have Gold Coast being regarded as a Feeder Club.

The arrogance and entitlement of SA Clubs of openingly stating their intentions of luring Lukosius and Rankine is both toxic and Un-Australian.

The thing about Walsh is that he reportedly wasn't a flight risk if drafted interstate, he is no Mummy's Go Home boy, which is why The Suns reportedly were desperate to trade up for him.

This could be a 2001 Draft all over again from the sound of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh is nothing like Buckley. Buckley was a powerhouse that Walsh will never be. Has Walsh even taken a mark overhead, let alone pack marks in the goal square or marks on a lead a la Buckley?

Walsh's superior assets are:

1. He has a huge tank (think Gaff, Bradley, Harvey)

2. He has clean hands so that the ball is in his control even before he actually grabs it (think Harvey).

3. He anticipates the play. This gives him -
a) the ability to run to the right places and be ready to receive the ball;
b) the knowledge when he does have the ball of what his best options are. (think Greg Williams, Hird).

It is impossible to know now if Walsh will develop to the level of those greats I have compared him with. That is, he may not become an intergenerational superstar. But it is not silly to compare him with them and it will be a great pleasure to watch how close he gets.

From a Carlton supporter's POV we do know, without even having to wait for the season proper to begin (let alone the minimum 3 years that should be given for a Max King) to know we will have a very very good player for, if we are lucky, a very long time.

And that leads to another thing about Walsh. He does seem to have the long muscled body (think Harvey, Bradley, Doull, Bartlett etc) that augurs well for a very long productive career.

It really doesn't matter how good Lukocious or Rankine become. Walsh is a genuine no.1 pick talent and perfect for Carlton's needs. If there are more than 1 such talents in a given year (and there is no reason why not in any given year) it matters not a whit (unless you miss all 3).

Walsh is nothing like Buckley. Buckley was a powerhouse that Walsh will never be. Has Walsh even taken a mark overhead, let alone pack marks in the goal square or marks on a lead a la Buckley?

Sorry mate but I disagree. Moves and plays identically.

And he'll develop into a powerhouse. He's only 18 remember. Players are no where near as developed at 18 as they are when they're 22-23.

It takes around 4 preseasons and close to 100 games before you're developed. Barring the odd outlier (Judd, Buckley, Cripps) most players are half the player at 18 they are at 23. Danger, GAJ, Martin, Watson etc were good players at 18-21 in their first 3-4 seasons, averaging around 15 or so touches, but werent close to the players they'd become once they'd been in the system for 4 or so years.

Even Judd, Bucks and Cripps (the outliers I posited above) were far better players at 23 than they were at 18. Most of that comes from physical development.

Well don't hold your breath Mal waiting for Walsh to play out of the goal square like Buckley could and be sure to send me a reminder when Walsh takes a Buckley like mark in a pack or on a lead.

QUOTE="Malifice, post: 59728839, member: 50085"] And he'll develop into a powerhouse. He's only 18 remember. Players are no where near as developed at 18 as they are when they're 22-23.

It takes around 4 preseasons and close to 100 games before you're developed. Barring the odd outlier (Judd, Buckley, Cripps) most players are half the player at 18 they are at 23. Danger, GAJ, Martin, Watson etc were good players at 18-21 in their first 3-4 seasons, averaging around 15 or so touches, but werent close to the players they'd become once they'd been in the system for 4 or so years.

Even Judd, Bucks and Cripps (the outliers I posited above) were far better players at 23 than they were at 18. Most of that comes from physical development.[/QUOTE]

Everybody is different. Tim Watson was a veteran at 18, and Ruccioto was a bull at the same age.

I am not for a moment suggesting Walsh has finished developing. But given a major asset of his is elite distance running I am certainly not hoping for him to turn into a bull like Buckley developed into. KB was a star from day 1 (never played a reserves game in his life). Whatever development KB had over his long and illustrious career it didn't ever stop him looking like a scrawny drowned rat. Nor Robert Harvey.

And he'll develop into a powerhouse. He's only 18 remember. Players are no where near as developed at 18 as they are when they're 22-23.

Even Judd, Bucks and Cripps (the outliers I posited above) were far better players at 23 than they were at 18. Most of that comes from physical development.
Struggle to see the similarities.
Buckley big bodied mid over 90kgs, with a booming kick
Walsh running machine with unnatural ball sense.

Buckley big bodied mid over 90kgs, with a booming kick

130529_bearsheader.jpg

He wasnt 91kgs when he was drafted!

I don’t care who he plays like. He will be remembered as Sam Walsh and other players will be compared to him. We don’t know how good he will be, just speculating and comparing to other players.

Signs are he will be an absolute accumulator with an inside and outside game. He will play like Sam Walsh.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Love this.
Seems a loyal bloke too.
Hopefully the hero Carlton fans have been dreaming of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back