AFLW Sarah Hosking to become first AFLW Tiger to reach 50 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Sarah Hosking to become first AFLW Tiger to reach 50 games
DIG015_AFLW-Milestones_Sarah-Hosking-50-Games_Article.jpg
Richmond AFLW vice-captain Sarah Hosking will this Saturday become the first Tiger player to reach the 50-game milestone.
The 26-year-old midfielder will achieve the feat when the side takes on Adelaide at the Swinburne Centre from 11.40am.
The experienced Tiger started her career back in back in 2017 for Carlton, partaking in the first ever AFLW game between the Blues and Collingwood before going on to play 30 games for the Club.
She joined Richmond's list ahead of the team's second season in 2021, and has since had 18 outings in the Yellow and Black.
The hard-nosed Tiger, known for her contested ability, was also voted by her peers as the 2021 Bunjil Award winner for being the best driver of "connection" within the group.
Hosking said it was "pretty special" to be the first Tiger to hit the 50-game mark, and the 24th player of all-time.
"It's pretty overwhelming, I never thought I'd make that milestone," she said.
"It seems so small in the scheme of things but to think it's taken seven years to get there is pretty crazy."
"I remember doing an interview in my first year saying I wanted to be the first ever player to reach 50 games, and I didn't quite get that, I missed one game at the end of last season, but I'm absolutely honoured and I think it's amazing to be here at Richmond which is the best club in the land.
"I'm stoked to be the first (Richmond) player to do that, but I'm even more humbled to play alongside my teammates and the girls that I love playing with."
Having only started playing the game at 20 years old, Hosking is confident her best football is still ahead of her.
"I always use an 'Auskicker' analogy, I came really late to football, so I kind of feel as though I'm only at U16/17s now," she said.
"I've really tried to dip deep across the pre-season and my body feels fitter than ever."
Reflecting on her time at Tigerland so far, Hosking said being a part of team's first ever win in 2021 was a highlight she'll forever cherish.
"I think when I first got here it was understanding what Punt Road meant to Richmond and its supporters and the wider Richmond group," she said.
"It's a really historical but spiritual ground, and I think running out on Punt Road for the time first was pretty special, but I can't go past our first win down at GMHBA stadium.
"It was phenomenal and we celebrated like it was a Grand Final and there's a special picture that goes along with it that's embarked across the club and I absolutely loved it.
"I love the girls here and it's such a special group that we've got."
Having been a part of the AFLW since its inception, Hosking said she was proud to be pioneer for the younger generation.
"I just remember the first bounce in the first ever game and I was running around like a headless chook and to think I had no idea what I was doing then to now and the growth of the game and seeing that we have a full 18-team side, I think it's pretty special," she said.
"I love being able to pave that way."
And of course, being able to play alongside her twin Jess, also formerly of Carlton, means a lot.
"We're so lucky we even got to play together once at Carlton, let alone twice," Hosking said.
"It's so special and I really hope that should both of us be selected this week, we can both get out there together, there's nothing most special that I'd love."

Congrats Sarah, well earned! Would have liked that recognition to go to Mon Conti tbh, but they are the circumstances and it is no lesser milestone really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back