AFLW Shaun Hampson returns to Richmond (new AFLW midfield coach)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Richmond is pleased to announce that former player Shaun Hampson will return to the Club as AFLW midfield coach for the upcoming season.

Hampson-3258-.jpg

Hampson played 35 AFL matches for the Tigers during his five-year stint at the Club (2014-18) after being traded from Carlton, where he also featured 63 times at senior level.
The former ruckman has spent the past three AFLW seasons at the Blues as their ruck/bodywork coach and is undertaking his Level 3 AFL Coaching Accreditation.

Hampson said it was a happy homecoming.
"It does feel like coming home... Richmond was where I had my best football experience and where I have the fondest memories," Hampson said.
"It's a footy club so even if some rooms change or there's some new faces, the general feeling stays the same and it was certainly that way when I came back a few weeks ago to meet with Ferg and Kate.
It just felt really familiar and it left a really positive impression on me.
"I've got a lot of love for this place and looking at the current team, that's exciting as well.
The group's got a lot of upside and is nowhere near their ceiling yet.
So, that's exciting as a coach and somebody who loves the development of players.

"Ferg I worked with during my time playing here and Kate I know well also... So, it was a bit of a no-brainer for me, I'm excited to come in and get started."
Richmond AFLW Senior Coach Ryan Ferguson said the players would benefit from Hampson’s tutelage.
“Having worked with Shaun during his previous time at Richmond, I have seen first-hand his passion for and knowledge of the game,” Ferguson said.
“Shaun was highly sought after in the AFLW space for his excellent coaching skills and his impact on female footballers’ careers.
“We are delighted that all our players will get to work with him this upcoming season.
It is great to have him on board.”

Hampson replaces popular assistant coach Andrew Browne as midfield coach, who will depart after three seasons with the program.
“Browney has been an excellent contributor to our group,” Ferguson said.
“Unfortunately, due to his busy work life and the increasing professionalism and demands of AFLW, he has decided it was simply going to be too hard to continue.
“We are so grateful for his investment, passion, and expertise.
His humour and presence will certainly be missed, and we wish him all the best.”

Richmond is pleased to announce that former player Shaun Hampson will return to the Club as AFLW midfield coach for the upcoming season.

View attachment 1643415

Hampson played 35 AFL matches for the Tigers during his five-year stint at the Club (2014-18) after being traded from Carlton, where he also featured 63 times at senior level.
The former ruckman has spent the past three AFLW seasons at the Blues as their ruck/bodywork coach and is undertaking his Level 3 AFL Coaching Accreditation.

Hampson said it was a happy homecoming.
"It does feel like coming home... Richmond was where I had my best football experience and where I have the fondest memories," Hampson said.
"It's a footy club so even if some rooms change or there's some new faces, the general feeling stays the same and it was certainly that way when I came back a few weeks ago to meet with Ferg and Kate.
It just felt really familiar and it left a really positive impression on me.
"I've got a lot of love for this place and looking at the current team, that's exciting as well.
The group's got a lot of upside and is nowhere near their ceiling yet.
So, that's exciting as a coach and somebody who loves the development of players.

"Ferg I worked with during my time playing here and Kate I know well also... So, it was a bit of a no-brainer for me, I'm excited to come in and get started."
Richmond AFLW Senior Coach Ryan Ferguson said the players would benefit from Hampson’s tutelage.
“Having worked with Shaun during his previous time at Richmond, I have seen first-hand his passion for and knowledge of the game,” Ferguson said.
“Shaun was highly sought after in the AFLW space for his excellent coaching skills and his impact on female footballers’ careers.
“We are delighted that all our players will get to work with him this upcoming season.
It is great to have him on board.”

Hampson replaces popular assistant coach Andrew Browne as midfield coach, who will depart after three seasons with the program.
“Browney has been an excellent contributor to our group,” Ferguson said.
“Unfortunately, due to his busy work life and the increasing professionalism and demands of AFLW, he has decided it was simply going to be too hard to continue.
“We are so grateful for his investment, passion, and expertise.
His humour and presence will certainly be missed, and we wish him all the best.”
Known in our family as 'Ol Slippery Hands'. Marking not his strong suit - neither is it ours - match made in heaven.:think:

Wowee SJ that's pretty sexist! Megan is definitely the brains in that team.

i don't know about my post being sexist LOTW, politically incorrect would be a better description.

bit harsh of you saying Megan is definitely the brains in that team.
Hammer Hampson is a shrewd businessman in his own right, owns a few investments and runs a coffee shop.
Megan's thing is health and beauty and being a mother to their 2 children.

they complement each other very well.

Known in our family as 'Ol Slippery Hands'. Marking not his strong suit - neither is it ours - match made in heaven.:think:

Haha yeah i remember that being Hammer's kryptonite, ball in the air/marking.

article suggested he is "highly respected and sought after" AFLW coach.
for our sake, let's hope it's true.

Haha yeah i remember that being Hammer's kryptonite, ball in the air/marking.

article suggested he is "highly respected and sought after" AFLW coach.
for our sake, let's hope it's true.
Wouldn't have anything to do with being a Survivor celebrity would it - that's the highly respected, rather than plain ol ordinary respected?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back