Scott Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield and Daniel Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Menzel was subbed out of the last game and played poorly because he has been suffering from knee tendinitis again since his first game back the week before

Will not name source

I can tell you the source for that one - Dan Menzel himself.He said it on AFL 360 last week and it was the reason he didn't play against StKilda

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Adelaide will match the offer for Dangerfield. He's going to Geelong no matter what, the only difference is what Adelaide get in return. They match the deal, Danger will still refuse to stay and Geelong will be forced to trade.

Ergo, they get Geelong's first rounders for the next two drafts. In what universe would they merely settle for pick 13 (potentially pick 15 after god-knows-what compensation eventuates for Kreuzer/Leuenberger) when this simple alternative presents itself? Dangerfield would be completely supportive of this scenario, as a parting thanks to his old club.

What do they gain by not matching it, exactly?
For a start a player on their list who won't walk to the PSD. If they match all bets are off; they had their chance at a nice R1 pick and didn't take it. Dangerfield owes them nothing if they do that and he will go where he wants. Not to mention they offered him $X dollars and then Geelong come out with a deal that's more than that and then they decide they can pay him more? He will be in no mood.

For a start a player on their list who won't walk to the PSD. If they match all bets are off; they had their chance at a nice R1 pick and didn't take it. Dangerfield owes them nothing if they do that and he will go where he wants. Not to mention they offered him $X dollars and then Geelong come out with a deal that's more than that and then they decide they can pay him more? He will be in no mood.
In what universe would either team OR Dangerfield and his management allow him to end up at Carlton? You're being fanciful if you don't think both clubs will reach an agreement before it ever gets to that level.

As far as matching deals, Adelaide are obviously playing their cards close to their chest. The only reason Hawthorn didn't match Sydney's Buddy deal was because it was incomprehensibly large and no sensible club would've matched it. Geelong are famous for paying unders and won't be offering anything that Adelaide can't aford to match, especially with a substantial salary cap increase on the horizon.

As for your insinuation that Adelaide would be too frightened to upset Patrick by trying to get the best return for him? I mean, really? You think he'd behave like that after the year Adelaide's endured? He will look out for them. He'll get to the club he wants. Geelong will get their man. Everyone will win... but you won't be getting him for free.

Adelaide have far too much pride to accept pick 15 when they know they have the power to force Geelong to give up far more.

Last edited:
In the universe where we don't have him already and Crows fans want two R1 picks and Moltop. It's academic anyway, the deal is done and he's Cats bound. Done ages ago.

In the universe where we don't have him already and Crows fans want two R1 picks and Moltop. It's academic anyway, the deal is done and he's Cats bound. Done ages ago.
Dangerfield can agree to whatever contract Geelong shove under his nose, and Adelaide will force Geelong to trade for him instead. That's academic.

I don't think there's an offer on the table and there won't be unless he declares his intention to stay, which is extremely unlikely. The first offer he will see will be from the club he intends to play at or use as a bargaining chip. It won't be ours, we're in no mood.

That would be a massive campaigner move considering how well Danger has handled himself this year. The Crows obviously want to keep him, but doing that would be a bad choice.

Disagree. Danger wants to go then that is fine, but the club deserves to get adequate compensation. Why shouldn't the club be entitled to get adequate compensation?

I think we need more of this sort of thing. I find it incredible players can just say "I want to go to X club", with no consideration of how it's going to get done or whether it will be fair or not.

All power to Adelaide if they do it. When you are talking about a player who is in the top 10 players in the comp, you deserve to get the right compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a massive campaigner move considering how well Danger has handled himself this year. The Crows obviously want to keep him, but doing that would be a bad choice.
What on earth? "He doesn't want to be here anymore, but he's played really well you guys, so let's give him what he wants and roll over."

Where is a club going to go with that attitude? Ridiculous.

I'm still confused as to what Scott Selwood will ADD to Geelong.

Scott has started on the downhill road, his best is in the past.

Another inside big bodied mid to take the heat of his brother.

Don't know why they'd pay $400k+ per year for a player who's struggled to get back to anywhere near his best for 2 years.

Crazy Cats.

We'll happily let him go especially for a End of First round compo.

So Dangerfield wants to keep his decision private, but tells a local football club he will coach their juniors, seems legit

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back