Screw or save a career - which clubs would a player choose

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the 7853th posting of Fremantle's trading blunders, it got me thinking which clubs are consistently improving or wrecking players coming their way? I don't mean which are trading good or bad players, but whether traded players in or out are doing better or worse.

Eg. Fremantle obviously has had players get better since leaving in general and worse on arriving.

I contrast it with my club (Port) who have an admirable record of improving players - the latest being Rodan, following a line of fringe players/delisted players from other clubs such as Mahoney, Bishop, etc. Whilst players going the other way have rarely reached the same heights - Josh Carr and Nick Stevens two of the latest whose careers stagnated on leaving.

So which other clubs are particular good or bad at saving/wrecking careers?
If I was a fringe player I'd shudder at going to Fremantle or Richmond, whilst a trade to Port or Sydney and it'd be a good chance of being a career lifeline (unless you are already a total squib like Lonie on arrival - there are limits :( ).

We don't bring in many from other clubs, but Martin Pike was a big success.

Travis Johnstone looks to have been Lethalised to an extent already.

Caracella was handy but he was great at Essendon.

We couldn't get Fixter up and going though.

With the 7853th posting of Fremantle's trading blunders, it got me thinking which clubs are consistently improving or wrecking players coming their way? I don't mean which are trading good or bad players, but whether traded players in or out are doing better or worse.

Eg. Fremantle obviously has had players get better since leaving in general and worse on arriving.

I contrast it with my club (Port) who have an admirable record of improving players - the latest being Rodan, following a line of fringe players/delisted players from other clubs such as Mahoney, Bishop, etc. Whilst players going the other way have rarely reached the same heights - Josh Carr and Nick Stevens two of the latest whose careers stagnated on leaving.

So which other clubs are particular good or bad at saving/wrecking careers?
If I was a fringe player I'd shudder at going to Fremantle or Richmond, whilst a trade to Port or Sydney and it'd be a good chance of being a career lifeline (unless you are already a total squib like Lonie on arrival - there are limits :( ).

Id say

Collingwood good but really havnt been tested for a while last being Medhurst

Essendon Bad alot older blokes turn to s**t after getting to Essendon

I think it really depends on the personalities of all involved: the player, new teammates, coach and everyone at the club as to how they fit in.

Heard Mark Williams say about Rodan that he was the sort of person that needs a bit of encouragement - sometimes things don't work out at other clubs coz there are personality clashes, etc.

Its always nice to see someone rejuvenate their career at another club though. As long as your not losing a good player - like when Motlop left us: still filthy about that.

Its always nice to see someone rejuvenate their career at another club though. As long as your not losing a good player - like when Motlop left us: still filthy about that.

What did you end up getting for Motlop anyway?

I know Brisbane were very keen to get him and were offering pick 9 in 2005, which we ended up using on Mitch Clark when Motlop was set on Port.

What did you end up getting for Motlop anyway?

I know Brisbane were very keen to get him and were offering pick 9 in 2005, which we ended up using on Mitch Clark when Motlop was set on Port.

Pretty sure he was involved in the Hay debacle, if my memory serves me correctly - so not a whole lot. Shame, he was one of my favourite players to watch.

Id say

Collingwood good but really havnt been tested for a while last being Medhurst

Essendon Bad alot older blokes turn to s**t after getting to Essendon
To be fair to Essendon, they were picking up old guys who were passed it or no good.

Bad - Fremantle
Good - Sydney. Any player leaving Fremantle.

Hawthorn hasn't done too badly.

Gilham played one game with Port Adelaide before being cut from their list. Hawthorn took him on as a rookie, upgraded him towards the end of 2006 and he's pretty much an ever-present in our backline.

Guerra had done his dash at two clubs as a small forward but Clarkson saw something in him at their time together at Port to suggest that Guerra would be a very useful rebounding player and his absence over the last fortnight due to his hamstring injury has hurt the club.

Stuart Dew is a great asset to the Hawks, but would be even better if he stopped pinging his hamstrings. :mad:

Sydney are usually very good at recruiting. Most players who come to the Swans are usually better players for it.

Craig Bolton
Barry Hall
Martin Mattner
Darren Jolly
Henry Playfair
Ted Richards
Nick Davis

All came from different clubs and most started playing better at the Swans than they ever did at their original clubs.

Sydney are usually very good at recruiting. Most players who come to the Swans are usually better players for it.

Craig Bolton
Barry Hall
Martin Mattner
Darren Jolly
Henry Playfair
Ted Richards
Nick Davis

All came from different clubs and most started playing better at the Swans than they ever did at their original clubs.

Nick Davis?

His best years were at the Maggies

Johnstone, Travis @ Brisbane Lions has turned into the star we all knew he was.

Marty Mattner @ Sydney also doing well under the new team as has Jarrad McVeigh since switching from the bombers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gilham left along with half your coaching staff and they seem to be doing pretty good.

Craig Bolton
Barry Hall
Martin Mattner
Darren Jolly
Henry Playfair
Ted Richards
Nick Davis

Mattner hasn't gotten any better, he is the same.

Johnstone, Travis @ Brisbane Lions has turned into the star we all knew he was.

Marty Mattner @ Sydney also doing well under the new team as has Jarrad McVeigh since switching from the bombers.
I don't think he has gotten much better, and he certainly hasn't become a star, he's now playing off a half forward or wing and still only getting the ball alot not a heap like the star players. He's more consistent but its a lot easier to be when you aren't the number 1 midfielder who is getting heavily tagged every week.

I don't think he has gotten much better

Well I didn't see much of him at Melbourne, but from what I've heard about how he was at Melbourne, he has got quite a bit tougher at the ball, running back with the flight, and putting his head over the ball. Then again, if your in Lethal's team and you fail to show that, you'd be back in the reserves so fast, you wouldn't know what hit you.

Heard Mark Williams say about Rodan that he was the sort of person that needs a bit of encouragement - sometimes things don't work out at other clubs coz there are personality clashes, etc.

There's a fine line between a club rejuvinating a player - and another club ruining that player.

I always thought Rodan was a richmond mistake. he always looked alright for them til he done his knee, and i dont think he had any major personality issues.

Met him once and had a good chat with him while waiting for food. I was shocked that an AFL footballer would take the time to not only say hi, but to really have a chat about footy and about his club and so forth. I Was really impressed. (got to the points where his mates were like "are you coming?" :D) He did his knee a few months later...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back