Official Match Thread Season 37 - Round 9 - Sin City Swamprats v Gold City Royals at Underground Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

And probably doesn’t talk back either…
My wife said the other day "You haven't heard a single word I've said for the last 20 minutes have you!"
I thought, "funny way to start a conversation."

This good Friday appeal would work better if, instead of donating $2000 for every goal they scored, they gave a goal for every $2000 they donated. They'd make a lot more money for the appeal.

This good Friday appeal would work better if, instead of donating $2000 for every goal they scored, they gave a goal for every $2000 they donated. They'd make a lot more money for the appeal.
you're an ideas man GG

My wife said the other day "You haven't heard a single word I've said for the last 20 minutes have you!"
I thought, "funny way to start a conversation."
The world's wisest woman said recently, "A man once told me......."

The world's wisest woman said recently, "A man once told me......."
That's every woman. The wisest woman would have ended it with "...and I listened to him because he was right."

Last edited:
That's every woman. The wisest woman wold have ended it with "...and I listened to him because he was right."
What fantasy world are you living in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it about travelling through a rip in the time space continuum to alternate universes?
No, it's about a bunch of heroes from days gone by who are a little past it, just have to get together one more time because the world's got itself into a mess again, and they have to get together and clean it up one more time. If you want I can post a little excerpt here to see what you think.

No, it's about a bunch of heroes from days gone by who are a little past it, just have to get together one more time because the world's got itself into a mess again, and they have to get together and clean it up one more time. If you want I can post a little excerpt here to see what you think.
Sure, why not.

Sure, why not.
OK so this is not the start of the book, but it introduces two key characters.

The morning sun lent little warmth to the small cobble-stoned alleyway. Shadows loitered in nooks and alcoves waiting for the afternoon sun to usher them away. In the cool sunlight a body lay.

Not just any body; this was a body that had been thrown out of more taverns and questionable establishments than broken glass. This was a body that had seen better decades. This was a body whose breath had to be kept away from open flames.

It wasn’t always like this. Once, this body was the object of songs of legend. Once, this body was willing to risk everything for the greater good. Once, this body was an absolute bloody madman.

Now, people ignored it as they passed it lying in the street. Young children occasionally dared each other to kick at it and run away.

A shadow fell over the body as an old man approached. His ancient hands held a gnarled wooden staff in a powerful grip that belied his apparent age. His face was etched with lines in an intricate network of wrinkles that could have served as a pretty decent road map to the universe. His thin, white hair fell about his shoulders like mist collected around a distant peak. He wore simple robes made from inexpensive cloth tied around his waist with a frayed, greying length of rope. He knelt down on one knee as his intense blue eyes studied the comatose form lying on the cobblestones in front of him.

Behind him a younger man stood, trying to see around him but not daring to go any closer until beckoned. He was a large muscular fellow with enormous hands that looked as though they could juice carrots just by squeezing them. His face showed the tell-tale signs of younger days plagued with acne. Either that or in his youth his face had suffered a direct hit from an incoming ballistic echidna. On his back he carried a longbow and a quiver of arrows.

The old man turned his head. “Stay there!” he said. “Do nothing until I say.”

He turned back to the figure lying on the ground, raised his staff and, muttering something about how much better the world was back when he was eighty, brought it down hard, squarely on the body’s chest with an audible crack.

The figure groaned. And turned his face from the cobblestones to see who had just hit him. He looked up into the silhouetted face of a smiling elderly wizard.

“Well Sparrow!” said the ancient man with his staff raised again. “The years have been kind to us haven’t they?”

“Pelasar!” said the astounded Sparrow still reeling from the effects of the alcohol in his system and the undefended thump to his chest. “Listen! I was always meaning to meet up with everyone. Any gems that are miss…”

“I didn’t comb the countryside searching for you for a few paltry baubles Sparrow, the world’s in trouble and… Let’s just say I’m getting the band back together. Do you still have your … err.. talents?”

“Do you still have your… err… money pouch?” asked Sparrow dangling a small leather purse from the forefinger of his right hand.

Pelasar checked his belt, he hadn’t noticed Sparrow even reach in his direction, yet what was only seconds ago, hanging safely from his makeshift belt, was now suspended from the end of Sparrow’s extended finger. If Sparrow had have been the kind of man to fill out a tax return, his fingers would have been listed under essential plant and equipment.

“Good!” said Pelasar, taking back his pouch. “Come with me.” He turned, beckoned to the young man accompanying him to follow, and left. He didn't need to turn around to see if Sparrow was following.

I heard somewhere recently that the average house price in Sydney is around $1.6 million (probably higher by now). I hate to think what they're paying each month.

I remember seeing a Sydney couple on A Current Affair one night (about 20 years ago). They had a 7 figure mortgage, and they had to pay $65k per year, just to meet the interest.
The great Australian dream is now to own a two room tent sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back