Second club locked in for proposed China game, says Gillon McLachlan

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brisbane Lions and Queensland rival Gold Coast Suns both said they would be willing to talk to Port Adelaide about the proposed 2017 match in Shanghai — which Port wants to play as the away team.

Greater Western Sydney also said it was happy to discuss the proposed match with the Power.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gol...a/news-story/b2b2eb614873f4f19ef9c592f6224b58

"The Lions played in a Shanghai exhibition game in 2010 and have a sponsor, Camperdown Dairy, that has a strong reach in the Chinese market."

"...Melbourne — which made a major China push a matter of five years ago — has not yet given it consideration."

Bwahaha.

Prediction: crowd enthralled at the history-making Port Adelaide match. Bank on it.

153082.jpg

How would they force them to go to the footy? Your examples were irrelevant.
A bloke I know over from China to study, saw a Chery car ad. "Oh everyone has Chery in my area. There is a factory near us. The government tells us it is a good car so we buy it."

Verbatim.

A bloke I know over from China to study, saw a Chery car ad. "Oh everyone has Chery in my area. There is a factory near us. The government tells us it is a good car so we buy it."

Verbatim.

Yep. The AFL will be asked what crowd numbers they want, and that number will show.

They will even be organised so the Port supporters are on one side of the stadium, GWS? supporters on the other.

As soon as someone says this on the internet you know it's either a copypasta or a s**t post.

Whatever champ. I responded to your boy's presumption of no experience with some facts, which are then automatically written off as a presumption.

It's the Circle of BigFooty Life, Simba.

Whatever champ. I responded to your boy's presumption of no experience with some facts, which are then automatically written off as a presumption.

It's the Circle of BigFooty Life, Simba.
Something something shadowy place something something never go there.

Just joining in the joke.

Unlike Port NM respects itself enough. And has enough games tied up in Tasmania. No chance it is us.

Verbatim.
So their car manufacturer is still open for business, sells cars and people still have jobs?

How horrible.

Thought this thread was about .....
Second club locked in for proposed China game

The AFL will decide which team will go to China
and play against Port.
All the ranting and raving by people here (who are not even writing about the proposed China game) will have no bearing on it :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just love how Port came out with a puffed chest... but isn't willing to be the home team. "YEAH, WE'LL LEAD THE CHARGE AND HAVE A GAME IN CHINA. But screw giving up a home game for it, we're not that keen on the idea".

I mean, from both an revenue and HGA point of view it's the right thing to do. Doesn't do much for their image though.
This stupid argument needs to stop popping up, we cannot give up a home game even if we wanted to, the SMA need 11 games a season from Port and the crows at Adelaide oval. We have to be the away team in China, there's no choice

This stupid argument needs to stop popping up, we cannot give up a home game even if we wanted to, the SMA need 11 games a season from Port and the crows at Adelaide oval. We have to be the away team in China, there's no choice
It's still a valid argument, even if there's no choice - it just changes slightly, from "they don't want to give up a home game", to "they don't have to give up a home game". Not nearly as admirable as a team coming out and accepting the prospect of a home game without HGA. Hell, Port gets an advantage in that their opponent won't have the HGA they'd usually have. Am I supposed to be impressed?

So 4 clubs are already interested in going to China Bulldogs Lions Suns and Gaints I think the Lions make the most sense as they're in the most need of money

The Bulldogs have zero interest in going and the club locked in is GWS.

The AFL realise they won't get 1000 people too the game so will take a home game from the poorest attended club which is GWS. The fact they basically own them anyway and can tell them to go helps.

Yeah, that is what annoys me, that Port are receiving all the headlines at the moment, when it was Melbourne Football Club that largely laid the foundations for the push into China. I remember hearing the Dees rave on about China years ago, I think they even played an exhibition match over there. Now all I am hearing is Koshy is brilliant, a genius, rah rah rah.
Lol and the Dutch saw Australian land first and look how that ended up.

Port have invested in the Chinese national team, Chinese auskick, a Chinese scholarship player, we've gotten the game broadcast on Chinese cable TV to an estimated audience of > 3 million and now we have a Chinese Billionaire investing millions in trying to build up the infrastructure of the sport through junior levels and local competitions.

ALL OF THIS before we have even played a game there.

Tell me again about how much 'effort' Melbourne put in.

This whole AFL into China push is an amazing step for our entire game. Port get little benefit up front, in fact the team that sells it's home game will probably pocket more. However to have a billionaire willing to throw money at our sport and try and develop it in his country is one of the most incredible gestures our game has ever seen and leads what is the best possible chance our game has ever had to spread into another country.

It may fail, but as a life long fan of Aussie Rules nothing excites me more than spreading the word of our game and if by some small miracle this works, we will ALL be significantly better off for it.

Lol and the Dutch saw Australian land first and look how that ended up.

Port have invested in the Chinese national team, Chinese auskick, a Chinese scholarship player, we've gotten the game broadcast on Chinese cable TV to an estimated audience of > 3 million and now we have a Chinese Billionaire investing millions in trying to build up the infrastructure of the sport through junior levels and local competitions.

ALL OF THIS before we have even played a game there.

Tell me again about how much 'effort' Melbourne put in.

This whole AFL into China push is an amazing step for our entire game. Port get little benefit up front, in fact the team that sells it's home game will probably pocket more. However to have a billionaire willing to throw money at our sport and try and develop it in his country is one of the most incredible gestures our game has ever seen and leads what is the best possible chance our game has ever had to spread into another country.

It may fail, but as a life long fan of Aussie Rules nothing excites me more than spreading the word of our game and if by some small miracle this works, we will ALL be significantly better off for it.

Sorry mate and I know it's your team but it's a cr@p idea that is destined to fail.

Logistically a nightmare for both teams playing and the fact it will probably be Port and GWS will rate poorly also after the first 15 mins of people watching just to see what happens.

Simply trying to get money from the richest country in the world now and this is what this is all about. Spreading the game will be the excuse but it's a money making circus.

I'd be p!ssed beyond belief if the dogs went and we could use the money but no thanks it's all yours.

The simple fact is that even without the SMA, Port would not give up a home game, so don't hide behind that excuse.

The simple fact is that even without the SMA, Port would not give up a home game, so don't hide behind that excuse.
Oh and that's a fact is it?

Why is everyone acting like their club wouldn't do the exact same thing? It's not Ports job to look after the other clubs, we have to worry about ourselves. If we can have 11 home games and a game in China then that's some ******* good management.

I remember the same agreement existed at Footy Park. Then Port played a home game at Adelaide Oval against Melbourne in 2011 before Adelaide Oval was redeveloped.

Pretty sure the SMA (SANFL in disguise) would be happy to receive financial compensation for the loss of a Port home game. As they did for that game against Melbourne that was moved to AO in 2011.

Kochie and KT would be able to negotiate that no problem at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back