Politics Should Australia become a Republic?

Should Australia become a Republic?

• YES

Votes: 133 65.5%
  • NO

Votes: 70 34.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Charles was actually serious about the Commonwealth being more than a British Empire old boys club he'd be in Kenya, the first major African trip of his reign, making more than some wishy washy speech where he deigns to acknowledge "painful aspects" caused by colonialism. If he won't even apologise for the 90000 Kenyans killed by the Brits in the early 50s why is he even bothering being there beyond the whole thing being some ego placating, taxpayer funded jolly up and just what's the Commonwealth's future looking like when the head of it is still trying to whitewash it's past.

The Kenyans know what they are doing.

Sorry - all that makes you a monarchist.

Crap....doesn't make me anything of the sort. I just don't get my knickers in a knot over or about people who are irrelevent or not interfering in my way of life.

...don't ever attach a label to me thanks. I march to my own independent thoughts, don't follow trends or other opinions unless I see a reason to..

..think independently, check out facts etc, don't just rely on what others say......perhaps you should try it sometime.

Last edited:
Crap....doesn't make me anything of the sort. I just don't get my knickers in a knot over or about people who are irrelevent or not interfering in my way of life.

...don't ever attach a label to me thanks. I march to my own independent thoughts, don't follow trends or other opinions unless I see a reason to..

..perhaps you should try it sometime.
Can't you see what he's saying though? If you vote in favour of keeping the Monarchy you've thrown your lot in with them. Sure, you could be truly 'undecided' at the ballot box and drop an unmarked ballot paper into the box, but would you do that? Have you done that in an election or a referendum before?

NOTE: Voting itself is not compulsory in Australia. What is compulsory is attending a polling station and getting your name ticked off on the electoral roll. What you do on the ballot paper, whether using it correctly, leaving it blank or drawing penises all over it, is completely up to you, the voter. Because it's a secret ballot. Nobody knows.

..think independently, check out facts etc, don't just rely on what others say......perhaps you should try it sometime.
“...but I don't want a republic, we are already independent in our way of life. The monarchy is just symbolism and doesn't effect our day to day life or how we run things in this country.

“I'm not a monarchist, but I see no reason to change things. They are name only and that means nothing to me at all so I don't give it a second thought. More important things happening here than worrying about a name attached..

..anyhow, like it or not, they are part of our history.”

Sorry to wind you up but the above that you wrote is pretty much standard monarchist claptrap. Just saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In honesty have no idea who she was, I'm confused as to why she is less or more capable than the other people.

Her CV is certainly different to previous and current holders of the office.

For me, Cowen is the gold standard: he was a constitutional law expert. An excellent choice right after 1975.

In honesty have no idea who she was, I'm confused as to why she is less or more capable than the other people.
I remember Mostyn from when she was on the AFL Commision but your default setting is for an elderly male former soldier to occupy the role you can understand how her appointment could be confronting, even frightening to some people.

Thanks pauline. And sky

Bring it on

Individuals having political power from a accident of birth was the voice objectiion

Sounds exactly like a monarchy to me. I assume King Charles has already signed off on the new GG

Thanks pauline. And sky

Bring it on

Individuals having political power from a accident of birth was the voice objectiion

Sounds exactly like a monarchy to me. I assume King Charles has already signed off on the new GG

Was that really the Voice objection? A pity that the opponents operated in such ignorance then. What a missed opportunity.

Thanks pauline. And sky

Bring it on

Note that the 'Royal Style and Titles Act 1973' still has his mother as 'Queen of Australia'. It hasn't been amended to indicate that Charlie might have the title of 'King of Australia'.
www.legislation.gov.au/C2004A00044/latest/text
Oz may be a de facto republic already!;)

Back