Politics TikToc is evil…..but if it becomes an US company…..no problem

Remove this Banner Ad

peetoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are their Jimmie’s rustled that there’s one mega site in the internet that isn’t US controlled?

Issues about public safety the excuses which other sites Facebook Insta etc etc

This is web imperialism, pure and simple

Are their Jimmie’s rustled that there’s one mega site in the internet that isn’t US controlled?

you do know the the tiktop the folk in china get is different as to we get in the west?

It just looks like a show trial to me. Instead of doing what they need to do for the personal data protection of Americans across the sector, they'd rather take the lazy route and target one such company for propaganda reasons and commercial cunning. Bipartisan old fogeys grilling the guy for hours at the hearing with the typical cringe lines of inquiry. He might as well have not even turned up, it was that fixed. Attempting to force the sale of an influential foreign company because they can't give 100% assurance (explicit or implied) against possible foreign government interference. 150 Million American users including lots of kids, a cultural phenomenon. It just looks incredibly out-of-touch to me.

Along with the spy balloon fiasco, this scapegoat TikTok show trial shows that the USA is ravenous for some good ol' cold war panic distraction nonsense. Aviator Joe is happy to play up to it.

For the record, I've never used TikTok, it doesn't look appealing to me (same with Twitter, Insta, etc. which aren't things I'd ever take an interest in), but I don't like the way this company has been treated in the US and current climate.

Last edited:

it is one of four simple issues:
1) chinese corporations law requires them to serve the chinese govt
2) privacy
3) tax
4) legal recourse re jurisdiction

we should do the same for tiktoc, facebook, apple, google etc

Everyone's mobile phone is a tracking device anyway, no matter what apps are on it. The Advanced Mobile Location service as detailed below is, at face value, a 'good' service but I've bolded areas that are of concern (to me, anyway).

Advanced Mobile Location​

On 25 August 2021, the Australian Government announced the completion of the rollout of Advanced Mobile Location (AML) technology for the Triple Zero Emergency Call Service.

AML is a technology built into the operating system of Apple and Android telephones which will provide greater location accuracy to Triple Zero during an emergency call from a mobile telephone. It has the potential to save lives and improve outcomes for mobile callers in Australia, as it is doing in the countries in which it has already been deployed.

How AML works​

• An AML-enabled smartphone recognises when an emergency call is made to Triple Zero (000 and 112), and if not already activated, activates the telephone’s location service functions.
  • The smartphone assesses the location information available, using device-based hybrid methods, which combine GPS, Wi-Fi, mobile network information, and other sensor inputs to calculate the caller’s location.
  • Once the device’s location is calculated, the smartphone automatically sends an SMS with the estimated location to the Triple Zero Emergency Call Service. This SMS is sent in the background while the caller speaks with the Emergency Service Organisation, and the caller is not required to do anything to enable the location information to be sent.
  • If the telephone’s location services were switched off at the time the call was initiated, AML will temporarily activate the location service for the duration of the emergency call.
  • It typically takes 25 seconds or less for the caller’s location to be calculated and sent to Triple Zero.
  • When the emergency call has finished AML will be de-activated.
  • The telephone will not retain a record of the SMS sent, and a caller is not able to retrieve it.
  • AML works with Android telephones (version 4.1 and higher, with Google Play Services installed).
  • AML works with iPhones running iOS 14.3 or later and Apple Watch GPS + Cellular devices running watchOS 7.2 or later.
  • AML is not an App - rather it is a technology built into the operating system.
With around 78 per cent of calls to Triple Zero originating from a mobile telephone, AML has the potential to assist a significant proportion of callers requiring emergency assistance. It is capable of providing a caller’s location within a 5-metre radius outdoors and a 25-metre radius indoors. Based on deployments of AML in other countries, most calls (about 85 per cent) will provide location accuracy within 50 metres.

The AML service is a key collaboration between the Commonwealth Government, Telstra (as the Emergency Call Person for Triple Zero and 112), emergency service organisations in every state and territory (police, fire and ambulance), mobile carriers (Telstra, Optus and TPG Telecom) and mobile operating system providers (Google for Android devices and Apple for iOS and watchOS devices).

AML technology has now been deployed for the Australian Triple Zero (000) Emergency Call Service.

Everyone's mobile phone has this installed as part of the operating system. As far as I know, there is no opt-out.

How does it work?​

Any mobile devices with compatible software have AML capability already installed, meaning you won’t have to download any apps or change any settings for it to work. Currently, devices running Android 4.1 or higher and iPhones running iOS 14.3 or higher are compatible with AML technology. AML also works on Apple Watches with GPS and cellular capability running watchOS 7.2 or later. Find out how to check which software your iPhone is running here, or click here for information about checking which Android software is on your device.

Assuming you have the necessary software installed on your device, AML is automatically activated when you dial Triple Zero. Using any available information from your device about your location, GPS signals, nearby Wi-Fi signals and mobile network information, the technology quickly estimates location coordinates and passes this information on to emergency services via SMS. This allows operators to quickly determine where you might be calling from.

Experts have said that AML technology can provide a person’s location within 5m if you’re outdoors, and 25m if you’re indoors. This automated SMS reportedly only takes around 25 seconds to be sent to emergency services, and is sent free of charge, just as calls to Triple Zero are free of charge...

It seems like a great system for when you need an ambulance but cannot speak to the triple zero operator, or you have language difficulties. I see the advantages but I can see potentials for governmental (and/or private interest) mischief with such a powerful completely autonomous location system being part of a device most of us carry around with us every single day.

EDIT: Added details

Last edited:
Its idiotic garbage for kids,and idiots, and chicks. Simples.
You've clearly never been on it. It's algorithm used to decide what it shows you is extremely good, hence why people get addicted. So if you're seeing idiotic garbage for kids and idiots, well I think you see where I'm going. It's a massively diverse platform, I see stuff right up my alley that I doubt idiots, kids and chicks are seeing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've clearly never been on it. It's algorithm used to decide what it shows you is extremely good, hence why people get addicted. So if you're seeing idiotic garbage for kids and idiots, well I think you see where I'm going. It's a massively diverse platform, I see stuff right up my alley that I doubt idiots, kids and chicks are seeing.
Nah its for teens and chics dude, but you do you,.

I appreciate that you're not even trying to hide that you think 'chicks' are idiots.
lol, well, no...
Chics on tik tok though?
Wouldnt give you $1 for any of them.
Vast majority are attention seeking self validating flogs, and the rest do a poor job of hiding it.

Why chicks though? Why not the guys, why single out one gender specifically...?
Absolutely,. You mentioned chics and thus my comment. But your right 100%, the guys too. Goes for any social media really , but tiktok I think is a particularly s**t one. Just my opinion, matters for naught.

Funny isn't it? Trump wanted to ban Tik Tok and everyone cried about it. Now however not a problem?

First they came for our cat videos, and I said nothing...
Play 'em off with a funeral dirge, Keyboard Cat!!!

giphy-keyboard-cat.gif

it is one of four simple issues:
1) chinese corporations law requires them to serve the chinese govt
2) privacy
3) tax
4) legal recourse re jurisdiction

we should do the same for tiktoc, facebook, apple, google etc
As long as we (Aust) treat all the foreign social media companies the same I don't have a problem
But to only target tictoc and leave meta, facebook still on government devices seems to be inconsistent to me.

Disclaimer - the only SM site I regularly use is Bigfooty, with a smattering of checking on others posts on facebook/ linkedin, and twitter links (usually off bigfooty/ abc/ guardian links) and don't have a government provided device (though if that gets generalised to any device that salary sacrifice was part of purchase as in theres a government contribution...)

Tik Toc is working perfectly for the Chinese Government.

It's become a haven for bat sh*t crazy, far left, narcissists to pedal their garbage which is poisoning the minds of younger generations.

It encourages division and hate which is basically tearing western countries apart over politically correct nonsense.

Our younger generations are fast becoming useless in almost every sense which will set the western worlds up for future failure.

All the while, China blocks all that garbage from their own Tik Toc platform. If you ever get the chance to look at the Chinese version, check it out. You would never believe it is the same app. It's mostly positive messages about how to improve all aspects of your life as well as other general life stuff which is mostly apolitical.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back