2nds Should the Crows reserves be in the SANFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

for the good of the sanfl comp there needs to be a max no of afl listed players allowed to play in our sanfl team, 14 seems fair
Just make it so they can't play finals. It's about development for the Crows, so I'm sure they'd rather that then having guys sitting each week.

for the good of the sanfl comp there needs to be a max no of afl listed players allowed to play in our sanfl team, 14 seems fair

I disagree. They are reserves, and a mix of not good enough for the AFL and talented youth.

They haven't been good enough for finals before either. Port weren't this season.

No. If we're in the SANFL, we need to be able to play our players together.

I'm happy to leave the SANFL. But I don't want any further compromising of our team.

i said whats good for the sanfl comp not whats good for the crows.
when you have a team filled with full time pros, how can you expect any other team filled with part timers to seriously compete?

Just make it so they can't play finals. It's about development for the Crows, so I'm sure they'd rather that then having guys sitting each week.

Neither option is feasible. If the crows rezzies didnt play finals they would have finished 3 weeks ago. Makes it impossible to select players to cover injuries.

I'm happy to leave the SANFL. But I don't want any further compromising of our team.
if the crows win it with a team filled with all pros, it makes a joke of the sanfl comp. i prefer a national reserves comp than what currently is going on.

If we were to have a cap on players or not play finals or whatever else, could we play home games and have unbiased umpiring?

There are advantages both ways, we've been an average team all year and have hit some good form at the time of year you are supposed to.

Won't happen every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most weeks some players miss anyway due to injuries or sitting on the sidelines as an AFL emergency. We just hold firm. Let the SANFL throw us out. We took the bare minimum as it is where Port were granted an SANFL quality side and their AFL players. Ok it consisted of Moore young and butcher but that was their fault.

if the crows win it with a team filled with all pros, it makes a joke of the sanfl comp. i prefer a national reserves comp than what currently is going on.
I'd rather see our points not count. The reserves is about having a side to develop players, not winning a sanfl flag. Anything that hinders that development defeats the purpose of having the side.

Agree with having a national reserves comp.

how are sanfl clubs meant to match it?

the only thing limiting the sanfl clubs are themselves. then they can just go and take other sanfl clubs' best players and chuck them on the rookie list (beech).

sanfl clubs' football departments are basically shoestring budgets. how is that meant to match two multi million dollar clubs with the best facilities you can have.

to even pretend the two afl clubs have been hampered in any way is utterly laughable.

Most of them are either SANFL standard and most of them haven't broken into our AFL squad etc.

We are having a good run with injuries, and haven't done anything questionable with our selections so no it really doesn't make a joke of the SANFL comp.

If Sloane/Tex/Betts were to line up against Sturt/Eagles, you'd have a case however, but save the faux outrage.

the only thing limiting the sanfl clubs are themselves. then they can just go and take other sanfl clubs' best players and chuck them on the rookie list (beech).

sanfl clubs' football departments are basically shoestring budgets. how is that meant to match two multi million dollar clubs with the best facilities you can have.

to even pretend the two afl clubs have been hampered in any way is utterly laughable.

Continue to play with the handicap system they have in place the afl teams are favored by the salary cap s other restrictions can be placed against them

We need them playing finals if the 1's are playing finals. At the minimum, remove all the rookies who can't be upgraded. Sure, they miss a couple of games, but we've gotten a full minor round into them, so no big deal. Then apply a limit, which 9/10 years wouldn't matter anyway. It's just so abnormal to not have 2 injuries in each of the two teams. Limiting it to 14 players for finals is neither here nor there to us and protects the competition in the rare years that we roll in with 40 odd available players. We've got to remember how valuable it is to have these guys together and a mostly meaningless limit come September is a minor cost in the grand scheme of what we're about.

Last edited:

Are they playing our best squad?

For the most part, the players we send out, whilst this is their job are either kids who aren't ready, out of favor players or recovering from injury.

And then you factor in there are times in the past three years that we haven't even been SANFL standard due to injuries.

This is just one part of us having a reserves side, occasionally we'll be unbeatable, occasionally we'll be like Brisbane this year.

To the we can take the best SANFL players, well, yeah. AFL is the ultimate here, not a feeder competition. We didn't take Beech so we could win a SANFL premiership, more that our squad needed some mature age depth.

Are they playing our best squad?

For the most part, the players we send out, whilst this is their job are either kids who aren't ready, out of favor players or recovering from injury.

And then you factor in there are times in the past three years that we haven't even been SANFL standard due to injuries.

This is just one part of us having a reserves side, occasionally we'll be unbeatable, occasionally we'll be like Brisbane this year.

To the we can take the best SANFL players, well, yeah. AFL is the ultimate here, not a feeder competition. We didn't take Beech so we could win a SANFL premiership, more that our squad needed some mature age depth.

those crows players would walk into any other sanfl side and be the best players. easy. someone like van berlo would be a top 3 mid at any other club. beech is borderline irreplaceable for another club for someone who it was incredibly unlikely will ever play an afl game.

the other 8 clubs shouldn't have to rely on injuries to even be competitive.

this whole pretending that the crows don't have a massive, massive advantage over the other clubs is ridiculous. even more absurd is the well the other clubs should just work and catch up argument.

i'd kill for a luke lowden at westies. most clubs would. greenwood, keath, etc would all be top 10 players at other sanfl clubs at worst. some crows fans really do underrate the sanfl sides ability relative to the other sanfl sides, but that's somewhat understandable. quite a few even admit to not paying attention outside of the reserves.

those crows players would walk into any other sanfl side and be the best players. easy. someone like van berlo would be a top 3 mid at any other club. beech is borderline irreplaceable for another club for someone who it was incredibly unlikely will ever play an afl game.

this whole pretending that the crows don't have a massive, massive advantage over the other clubs is ridiculous. even more absurd is the well the other clubs should just work and catch up argument.

i'd kill for a luke lowden at westies. most clubs would. greenwood, keath, etc would all be top 10 players at other sanfl clubs at worst. some crows fans really do underrate the sanfl sides ability relative to the other sanfl sides, but that's somewhat understandable. quite a few even admit to not paying attention outside of the reserves.
Talent was always the issue. This year with largely a full squad and now with a goal to win a GF, the Crows are showing how good they are. Previous 2 years less of said talent has been on the field.

If we lose today, and it looks a chance at this stage I fear we won't get close to them next week.

Why didn't win the flag the previous 2 years then? In fact we didn't even make the finals.

The crows SANFL team is a bunch of talented kids and fringe AFL players. SANFL teams are hardened men i think you underestimate some of the SANFL sides. The unprecedented injury free finals series is spooking some people unnecessarily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back