Rules Should the stand rule be abolished?

Should the stand rule be abolished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Certain Richmond trolls turning another neutral post into a Geelong obsession post. Just can’t help themselves
Hardly. Your fellow cat fan is vociferously defending Selwood saying that he didn't play for frees when all evidence points to the contrary. Calling out bs is not trolling.

And the first comment was initiated by an Eagles supporter. So calm down chief.

Hardly. Your fellow cat fan is vociferously defending Selwood saying that he didn't play for frees when all evidence points to the contrary. Calling out bs is not trolling.

And the first comment was initiated by an Eagles supporter. So calm down chief.
Sure. You can’t help yourselves. It’s pathetic

I voted yes because at the moment it is not working.

I am all for keeping the stand rule if umpires also start enforcing players actually having to take the kick over the mark instead of allowing them to creep 2-5metres the left or right.
Totally this. As soon as the player with the footy steps off laterally to the mark it's play on, even if the ump isn't quick enough to alert the player on the mark.

Especially none of this running around and then forward to get within goal range, leaving a forced statue on the mark.

I hate the look of it, but I can see the benefit of it at times. I think the following tweaks need to be made -

1. Umpires stop calling 'stand' every time, it's not required and sounds horrible. Call the mark straight away and that's all that is required.
2. Players can move backwards off the mark at any time. I mean why on earth aren't they allowed to now? It was a lateral movement by the man on the mark that was hindering the ball movement at times, not 'north-south'. This still allows them to move 'outside 5' at any time if they choose.
3. Players can take one step either side. The 'statue' requirement is nonsense and looks ridiculous.
4. Umps must call play on quicker, especially if within a kick from goal. Make sure the players are aware any movement off the line, even slight, will result in play-on being called immediately. This will remove the biggest eye-sore in the game currently where the man on the mark get's walked around while standing like a statue as his opponent get's a free kick for goal.

Basically, just apply some of that bloody 'common sense' they applied after the Swans V Tigers match. If a bloke is baited into taking a tiny step the line while off balance, who gives a crap? As long as the player manning the mark isn't intentionally stealing real estate either side of the mark to preemptively cut off a switch, then a little step here or there bugger all difference.

And while we're at it apply that same so called common sense to the protected area. Same as above - Unless the player is trying to gain and unfair advantage and as long as it doesn't affect the play at all then don't ******* pay a 50.

The stand rule helped make the game much more watchable.
The game is so much more watchable and high scoring... :drunk:

Didn't last long, did it?

I wonder what the next stupid rule will be to artificially inflate the scoring and give Channel 7 their much-needed ad breaks

Increase the 50m penalty to 100m ??? :D

I wonder what the next stupid rule will be to artificially inflate the scoring and give Channel 7 their much-needed ad breaks

If player has indicated to umpire they are having a shot for goal man on the mark should be able to move as much as he wants as this is clearly not going to hinder ball movement
And on ball movement I would love to see the numbers of kicks that are going through this mystical 45 that seemingly frees up the sherrin
What I mainly see from the stand rule is the handball receive numbers must have gone up a lot
Bloke on the mark can’t move and looks stupid and given we are playing a game called football not sure all the extra handball numbers are great for the game

No issue cleaning up the rule as players would constantly inhibit the player with ball in hand to move it on quickly but the AFL went overkill.
Have them stand there while the player just runs around freely was embarrassing for our game. Hated the aesthetics of it all. No different to netball having a free go at the goal but kicking.

I always heard people complaining about these academics coming in and taking over the game. Businessmen, lawyers, accountants, doctors . . . perhaps they were right all along.

Back