Society/Culture Should we close down the ABC and SBS ?

Should we close down the ABC and SBS ?

• Yes

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 70.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL just wiki'd and it was the 1961 election that Peter Cundall stood for the communist party. I was at least expecting to be in my lifetime.

What makes you think his views have changed?

I am sure everyone would say the same if it came out that Abbott was a member of some nazi cult when he was a teenager.

What makes you think his views have changed?
They probably haven't.

But the personal views of the bloke hosting Gardening Australia are pretty irrelevant.

I've probably watched no more than five minutes of the show as it's not of any interest to me but I can't imagine he was parading the virtues of Stalin, Lenin and his soviet comrades in between segments about planting gum trees and marvelling at the beauty of a Waratah.

You mean like how they always have so called climate change experts on who have made a number of false predictions in the past yet for some reason the ABC never asks them about ?

The ABC is the very definition of fake news.
Understand how embarrassing it is for you when the corruption of news and current affairs in the commercial media is pointed out causing you to indulge in the old look-over-here bizo as a distraction.

As for the climate change distraction and distortion of the truth, if you actually stopped using Andrew Bolt, the court found master of errors of fact, as your source and checked a little more widely - like, say, actually watching/listening to the ABC - you'd know your comment was arrant nonsense.

Here's a thought. Don't watch or listen to it. Continue to swallow the distortions, racism, lies and inflammatory garbage pushed by poorly educated phone hackers at News Corp who direct their content at people with a 13 year olds mentality. And continue to live in blissful ignorance. Fixed!

I see the Dirty Digger is pulling Fox News from the UK due to poor ratings. Only extreme right nuffy yanks apparently watch that excrement.

Hopefully we'll soon get a Labor government who will sack Murdoch's ABC stooge and her sycophants who are destroying this great organisation.
I don't watch rubbish. If you're into Jillaroo School and the Antiques Roadshow, then good luck to you.

I shouldn't have to subsidise your poor taste.

If fact; I will be writing to my local MP to express my disgust, and asking for an up top date report on exactly how much public resources those 2 channels are eating up.

I don't watch rubbish. If you're into Jillaroo School and the Antiques Roadshow, then good luck to you.

If fact; I will be writing to my local MP to express my disgust, and asking for an up top date report on exactly how much public resources those 2 channels are eating up.
While we're at it we should be cutting money to defence then. I don't want to pay for the bloated amount of money wasted on that. Or the huge amount that politicians are on or any road project. Or any project not in my state

You're a very insecure person.
Oh, definitely, within the current social context. The thing about security is that in order to be secure, you have to be... well, one of the mob. So you're not really saying anything at all, are you?

You, of course, will place that admission within your own framework of understanding, and carry on assuming you've scored a point, or that people like you are the reason for it. But really, if insecurity is the result of not fitting in with the current paradigm, then I'll take that as more a compliment than anything else.

So what else you got?
I mean I'd ask you to grab your utensil and hit me with something new, but it would appear you've misplaced yours.
Would a prosthetic help? Just so you don't have to carry on holding someone else's, of course.

Some might say that if you never tune in to the rich quality ABC product you therefore aren't qualified to comment on it. Perhaps even suggest that if you did tune in to the great ABC as about 13 million knowledgeable aussies do - including the 80% who say the ABC provides "good quality" programming and that the news and current affairs is "balanced and even-handed" - you'd be able to find and analyse the information you intend writing to your local member about. I'd never suggest such a thing though.

A bit of a heads-up, according to the latest data the cost of the ABC amounts to about 4 cents a day per head which is an extremely small proportion of our budget and waaaay smaller than the advertising/marketing loading placed on every product we buy in order to fund the mind numbing drivel and corrupted news and current affairs spewed out by the commercial media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, definitely, within the current social context. The thing about security is that in order to be secure, you have to be... well, one of the mob. So you're not really saying anything at all, are you?

You, of course, will place that admission within your own framework of understanding, and carry on assuming you've scored a point, or that people like you are the reason for it. But really, if insecurity is the result of not fitting in with the current paradigm, then I'll take that as more a compliment than anything else.

So what else you got?
I mean I'd ask you to grab your utensil and hit me with something new, but it would appear you've misplaced yours.
Would a prosthetic help? Just so you don't have to carry on holding someone else's, of course.
Oh, you think being conservative is diverting from the paradigm?

You're all too trapped in your victimhood fantasy to realise who the powerful groups are.

Last edited:
Some might say that if you never tune in to the rich quality ABC product you therefore aren't qualified to comment on it. Perhaps even suggest that if you did tune in to the great ABC as about 13 million knowledgeable aussies do - including the 80% who say the ABC provides "good quality" programming and that the news and current affairs is "balanced and even-handed" - you'd be able to find and analyse the information you intend writing to your local member about. I'd never suggest such a thing though.

A bit of a heads-up, according to the latest data the cost of the ABC amounts to about 4 cents a day per head which is an extremely small proportion of our budget and waaaay smaller than the advertising/marketing loading placed on every product we buy in order to fund the mind numbing drivel and corrupted news and current affairs spewed out by the commercial media.
It’s 14c per head.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Broadcasting_Corporation
Just $1,029,000,000 per year.

Oh, you think being conservative is diverting from the paradigm?

You're all too trapped in your victimhood wank fantasy to realise who the powerful groups are.
So your response is to label me, huh. Can't say I'm surprised.
People like you need labels and categories to form opinions. And a peer group, of course. Let's not forget that.

But as an aside - you missed.

Remember when children drew rainbows as a sign of happiness? Now a rainbow is symbolic of being in the lgbqwtf army, where one can be 'happy'. Child grooming at its best. They have hijacked the symbolism involved to recruit more members at a very young age. These kids are brainwashed and thanks to the ABC and SBS, more children will be too.

Utter paranoia.

"Each year the ABC receives $1 billion dollars in public funding," ABC chief financial officer Louise Higgins told the audience.

"Whilst on face value, this is a lot of money, the fact is our funding has declined by 28 per cent in real terms since the mid 1980s. In the last five years alone, it has declined by more than $200 million dollars."

By global comparison, the ABC's per capita funding is 34 per cent lower than the average public broadcaster across the world.

"In fact, we serve a population one-third the size of the UK, but do it with a budget one-eighth that of the BBC," she said.

"Back in 1987, your ABC famously cost each Australian 8¢ a day. In 1987 dollar terms we now cost each Australian just 4¢ a day. In other words, our per capita funding has halved in real terms."

Source Fin Review

He could always borrow the one that gets strapped around his gender-fluid, feminist friend's waist.

The last page is somewhat confusing....Are we accusing the A.B.C of phallocentricism?....Or are we saying the RWNJ preoccupation & focus upon it as some Marxist propaganda clearing house, is all one giant wank?

And.....more to the point....Will the media now turn it's gaze & it's microscope upon both Murdoch & itself in the same way?

Heaven forbid we accuse them of any 'hidden-hand' & 'underlying subversive political agendas'.....No, no.....We're all about making $$$$, how dare you even suggest that politics is in any way a concern whatsoever....'All hail the great Reuters'. Masters of the universe & the Captains of consciousness industry.

Source Fin Review
"A bit of a heads-up, according to the latest data the cost of the ABC amounts to about 4 cents a day per head"
Sorry but that's not true.

As for the 34% lower than other countries. What are we comparing? I pretty sure China and Russia and dictatorships would spend more in terms of percentage of their budgets on state run media.

In regards to the BBC and ABC comparing budgets. BBC their global audience is 372m http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/global-audience-measure. Wow, that may might affect the budget of the BBC.

"A bit of a heads-up, according to the latest data the cost of the ABC amounts to about 4 cents a day per head"
Sorry but that's not true.

As for the 34% lower than other countries. What are we comparing? I pretty sure China and Russia and dictatorships would spend more in terms of percentage of their budgets on state run media.

In regards to the BBC and ABC comparing budgets. BBC their global audience is 372m http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/global-audience-measure. Wow, that may might affect the budget of the BBC.

Do you think having a larger budget might lead to more ability to create popular programs like David Attenborough docos? A world news channel for pay tv across the planet?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you think having a larger budget might lead to more ability to create popular programs like David Attenborough docos? A world news channel for pay tv across the planet?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Very possible and maybe how the money is being spend is another.

I was refuting claims that the ABC was more cost effective than the BBC per head of population. The article did not account for the global audience of the BBC and therefore misleading.

Very possible and maybe how the money is being spend is another.

I was refuting claims that the ABC was more cost effective than the BBC per head of population. The article did not account for the global audience of the BBC and therefore misleading.
Yes but there is a lot of content that is simply better because of the budget, which includes the ability to on-sell via pay TV subs and also to free TV channels like the ABC.

It's the same content. And the BBC's budget includes part of the budget of any broadcaster that pays for their content. ABC international services have been cut as the ABC budget shrinks.

In this comparison are you also including the ABC's international audience given ABC TV shows like Rake also have international audiences?

Yes but there is a lot of content that is simply better because of the budget, which includes the ability to on-sell via pay TV subs and also to free TV channels like the ABC.

It's the same content. And the BBC's budget includes part of the budget of any broadcaster that pays for their content. ABC international services have been cut as the ABC budget shrinks.

In this comparison are you also including the ABC's international audience given ABC TV shows like Rake also have international audiences?
When comes to budget you can’t compare BBC and the ABC as they have different contexts.

Are we getting value for dollar with the ABC and SBS?

Is the ABC and SBS doing what we want it to do?

Is outsourcing better than having the ABC or SBS?

Back