Prediction Should We Rookie Jonty Scharenberg?

Should We Rookie Jonty Scharenberg?

• Yes

Votes: 66 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Scharenberg is a yes for me. Feel like he would be an upgrade on M Crouch for that contested clearance role. I know M Crouch is flavour of the month with many but his disposal really worries me. By foot he is as bad as I've ever seen for a midfielder and it's become so important in modern footy. Anyway would be good to have Jonty just to ensure Thommo wasn't picked.

We obviously watch different players.

Great to see those snap goals by M Crouch last year. Good to see the club add significant pace to complement the likes of him.

Can someone please explain to me why so many clubs pass late in the draft when they have spots left on their list. Ogilvie said that we planned to only use 4 spots last night which would have left 2 spots. I just can't reconcile that with deciding against nominating Jarman because of our "talent order".
Clubs don't know the salary cap for next year yet.

Easy way to save $50k

The Bombers listed Ronke as a Cat B Rookie does that give them 1st dibs? I'm keen on him too, big bodied mid with elite speed, ready to go day 1.

2016 NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY NOMINATIONS LIST

Collingwood
Isiah Farrell-Nelson (Indigenous)

Essendon
Aaron Tatchell (Indigenous), Ben Ronke (Multicultural), Muhammad Saad (Multicultural), Ovie Magbegor (Multicultural), Hisham Kerbatieh (Multicultural), Ozgur Uysal (Multicultural)

Geelong
Temoa Brown (Multicultural), Cameron Gurrumulnga (Indigenous), Deshan Gindkindi (Indigenous), Kamal Bukulatjpi (Indigenous)

Hawthorn
Tristan Tweedie (Indigenous)

Melbourne
Daniel Allsop (Multicultural)

Port Adelaide
Emmanuel Irra (Multicultural), Ariek Lual (Multicultural)

Richmond
Kayle Kirby (Indigenous), Billy Cooper (Indigenous), Esava Ratugolea (Multicultural)
, Derek Smith (Indigenous), Jy Simpkin (Indigenous)

St Kilda
Mitchell McCarthy (Indigenous)

West Coast
Tarir Bayok (Multicultural)

Western Bulldogs
Dion Johnstone (Indigenous)

AFL nominations
Mading Atem (Multicultural), James El Moussalli (Multicultural), Kenny Ong (Multicultural), Jai Rout (Indigenous), Darren Allen (Indigenous), Jamaine Jones (Indigenous), Thomas Jok (Multicultural),Goy Lok (Multicultural), Cedric Cox (Indigenous), Francis Watson (Indigenous)
This only applies after the rookie draft.

If these players aren't picked in rookie draft, clubs can then add them at Cat B rookies.

Clubs don't know the salary cap for next year yet.

Easy way to save $50k
If a club really has so little control over their budgeting that they think it's worth passing on potential champion kids to save 50k then I'm glad I don't have any of them running my business.
Guys like Hird and Johncock were taken at about this stage of a draft, imagine having passed on them to save 50k against your cap.

We obviously watch different players.

Great to see those snap goals by M Crouch last year. Good to see the club add significant pace to complement the likes of him.
Ha, the couple of pie floater goals that Matt got this year made Steve Kernanhans helicopter punts look good. Look I hope I'm wrong because the club obviously rates him highly, I just have severe misgivings with his kicking and bad disposal has never been punished as much as in the modern game.
Having said that, if we can get him just hand balling to Milera and Atkins then he could work out great, the kid can certainly find plenty of it.

Sharenberg is unlikely to last until our pick IMHO. If he is there you take him.
Don't be too sure of that, plenty of decent prospects missed out, i.e. Luke Bunker, Zach Sproule, Hamish Brayshaw, Oscar Junker, Taylin Duman, Ben Ronke, Brodie Remensky, Sam Walker SA, Jake Pitman SA, Judah Dundon, Kym LeBois SA, Tyson Stengle SA, Jamie Hampton SA/NT, Mitch McCarthy, Connor Noonan SA, Peter Ladhams SA, Jordan Sweet SA, Reece Piper, Cameron Zurhaar, etc.

Given the way he was rated by some he could go very early in the rookie draft
Rookie players are normally for players that are undeveloped or have faults in their game .....for Scharenberg to be overlooked it may well be not a development issue, but the thought of clubs that his game is not AFL standard??

Scharenberg is a yes for me. Feel like he would be an upgrade on M Crouch for that contested clearance role. I know M Crouch is flavour of the month with many but his disposal really worries me. By foot he is as bad as I've ever seen for a midfielder and it's become so important in modern footy. Anyway would be good to have Jonty just to ensure Thommo wasn't picked.
You do understand the most likely reason Scharenberg was passed on was his poor disposal, went at 49% at the Championships....and perhaps you should check out M.Crouch's DE% for 2016 before you go off on a rant.

Considering he was touted all year as a top 25 pick,. last year as a top 5 pick,. and he is south Australian and played well in the carnival,. that should be enough to scream YES!,.. considering over 50% of rookies never play a game,. he HAS to be worth a gamble.. doesn't he?
With the rate he's going, will he even be selected at SANFL level next year?! :p

Sharenberg is unlikely to last until our pick IMHO. If he is there you take him.
Still think there are other options to consider

Duman at 193cm with outstanding pace and athletic traits could come in and be like Andy Otten was pre knee issues

Olango in ruck - very raw but has something and is a different type of ruck than ones on our list who lack athleticism

Lebois - one of more talented kids not to get drafted . Not a need but a talent

Noonan - another guy perhaps a little untapped with outstanding athletic traits

Guelfi/ Shareneberg - I'd have as pretty even and would be happy to have one of them if some of others are gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do understand the most likely reason Scharenberg was passed on was his poor disposal, went at 49% at the Championships....and perhaps you should check out M.Crouch's DE% for 2016 before you go off on a rant.
For an 'inside' mid he also had a pretty high uncontested possession ratio which makes the DE stats even worse

Rookie players are normally for players that are undeveloped or have faults in their game .....for Scharenberg to be overlooked it may well be not a development issue, but the thought of clubs that his game is not AFL standard??
Had seen people saying his kicking was a ?, which would certainly scare some, but guys get taken all the time with questionable kicking actions.

Duman at 193cm with outstanding pace and athletic traits could come in and be like Andy Otten was pre knee issues

Olango in ruck - very raw but has something and is a different type of ruck than ones on our list who lack athleticism

Guelfi/ Shareneberg - I'd have as pretty even and would be happy to have one of them if some of others are gone
Would probably prefer Guelfi over Scharenberg myself, not only is he a clearance machine but he's a better kick, is better overhead too. Noonan could be an option if we wanted to go local, there'd be a few other outside types that I'd prefer but Noonan would be a good get nonetheless.

Would probably prefer Guelfi over Scharenberg myself, not only is he a clearance machine but he's a better kick, is better overhead too. Noonan could be an option if we wanted to go local, there'd be a few other outside types that I'd prefer but Noonan would be a good get nonetheless.
I'd be happy enough with Guelfi and prefer him to shaz

Mitch McCarthy was a good call , forgot re him

Id take Duman or McCarthy before Sproule

I was hoping for Big Mummy's protege Sean Darcy here, easily the best Ruck I saw in the TAC Comp this season, some of his left hand tap work was a sight to behold. Pick 38, didn't quite see that coming though.

I was hoping for Big Mummy's protege Sean Darcy here, easily the best Ruck I saw in the TAC Comp this season, some of his left hand tap work was a sight to behold. Pick 38, didn't quite see that coming though.
I thought of you when he was read out . Good call by you , the best craftsmen of any of the rucks . Only challenge will be getting him fit !! Used to be an elite swimmer so no idea what happened there .... Insulin resistant maybe ??

I thought of you when he was read out . Good call by you , the best craftsmen of any of the rucks . Only challenge will be getting him fit !! Used to be an elite swimmer so no idea what happened there .... Insulin resistant maybe ??
Only thing that worried me he's a Geelong Falcon and so many of them get home sick...:eek:

Ha, the couple of pie floater goals that Matt got this year made Steve Kernanhans helicopter punts look good. Look I hope I'm wrong because the club obviously rates him highly, I just have severe misgivings with his kicking and bad disposal has never been punished as much as in the modern game.
Having said that, if we can get him just hand balling to Milera and Atkins then he could work out great, the kid can certainly find plenty of it.
Sharenberg is a few levels off Matt Crouch and always will be

Not a rant at all, just an opinion. I put exactly zero faith in DE stats to prove anything BTW. anyone who has eyes can see that Matt has a terrible kick, he has too high a drop and he stands too upright with no forward momentum. In fact he looks like he could fall over backwards when he kicks. He also drops it too far outside the plane of his body, which can be fine if you have momentum through the ball like say Brodie Smith, but when your leg is doing all the work it makes errors almost guaranteed.
I haven't seen enough of Scharenberg to know if he is poor by foot as well but if he is then he isn't the answer either. His mechanics are vastly better than Crouchs though.
As I said, if they can get him to use his obvious extraction talent and get it out to Charlie or Smith or Milera then great, there is a spot for him. We mustn't play him and Thommo in the same side ever again though if we are serious.

What about Ladhams mate? Good size, think he will end up on a list ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back