Prediction Should We Rookie Jonty Scharenberg?

Should We Rookie Jonty Scharenberg?

• Yes

Votes: 66 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One is supposed to look after all Football in the Sate, The other looks after one competition, even when they have same players running the show.

And by developing a few elite players for a competition effectively controlled by interstate interests, how does that help SA and the development of players who will end up playing Country Footbal, Metro League, Amatuer League and SANFL, that requires an enormous amount of players so a broader approach needs to be taken, which I beleive it is. If the SANFL developed an acadamy cant see how it would help Smosh or Port Elliot or Hackam or Echunga Football clubs, surely that money could be used in getting more average players involved!

And by developing a few elite players for a competition effectively controlled by interstate interests, how does that help SA and the development of players who will end up playing Country Footbal, Metro League, Amatuer League and SANFL, that requires an enormous amount of players so a broader approach needs to be taken, which I beleive it is. If the SANFL developed an acadamy cant see how it would help Smosh or Port Elliot or Hackam or Echunga Football clubs, surely that money could be used in getting more average players involved!

Thats valid. But so is the funding of elite sports program to produce athletes that compete at the top of their fields. Like AIS does for Australians to compete internationally. Why not apply that logic at a state level, where the end game is to help south australians compete nationally. Its just an option.

Thats valid. But so is the funding of elite sports program to produce athletes that compete at the top of their fields. Like AIS does for Australians to compete internationally. Why not apply that logic at a state level, where the end game is to help south australians compete nationally. Its just an option.

With the funds available to the SANFL it would be irresponsible to concentrate on the elite few against volumes

If there were unlimited funds available, then go for it but there isn't

We hear people talk of players leaving at age 18 do you honestly believe by concentrating on the elite that will help or hinder those leaving. They aren't the best players at all so maybe those funds wNting to be spent on the elite should be put back into the also ran battlers

OK enough of the anti-AFL rants , I spend a lot of time in talking to the Country league and Ammos, and they do not hold the SANFL up very high in development actually they don't rate the SANFL, some club has even received more assistance from the AFL than the SANFL.
a Better system that develops player flow down, So far the SANFL are losing the kids from Football, This is not some rant from an AFL supporter but the vibe coming from the Country and Ammos.
Develop the Kids make them enjoy playing the game and if they are not up to AFL level they will stay and play the game elsewhere.
But no the SANFL if full of supporters more interested in winning at the junior levels rather than developing the game. And they are driving the kids out of the game.
But by all means, blame the AFL just don't expect the rest of the state to follow.

OK enough of the anti-AFL rants , I spend a lot of time in talking to the Country league and Ammos, and they do not hold the SANFL up very high in development actually they don't rate the SANFL, some club has even received more assistance from the AFL than the SANFL.
a Better system that develops player flow down, So far the SANFL are losing the kids from Football, This is not some rant from an AFL supporter but the vibe coming from the Country and Ammos.
Develop the Kids make them enjoy playing the game and if they are not up to AFL level they will stay and play the game elsewhere.
But no the SANFL if full of supporters more interested in winning at the junior levels rather than developing the game. And they are driving the kids out of the game.
But by all means, blame the AFL just don't expect the rest of the state to follow.

Are you for real, I don't know very many people who play any sport and not want to win

Are you one of those tree hugging politically correct greenies, where it's all about participation and it's bad for self confidence if we keep a scoreboard?

Are you for real, I don't know very many people who play any sport and not want to win

Are you one of those tree hugging politically correct greenies, where it's all about participation and it's bad for self confidence if we keep a scoreboard?

We are not talking about trees, or PC greenies, We are talking about development kids to play Football, and you understanding of it highlights the problems the SANFL have, Like you, they are too quick to see complete opposite,

Do you understand the difference between developing Kids to play football and playing to win I believe you don't, watch the TAC system its a good example of developing kids, Play the match to win like you should you teach to win every game , but develop the kids to play football to enjoy their football,
We develop ruckmen to ruck and that's all, Inside mids play and train as only inside mids, Small Forwards are only small forwards etc. SANFL are so far behind in their development mentality, Why because they let the Clubs do the developing and those clubs pick the best players then attempt to improve them in only one position. And they call that development. Because it's more important to win at all cost than to spend time developing the kids, as it may cost you a win.
Here is a question that gets to the root of the problem, why was Jonty Schanerberg not developed to play as a medium forward or defender in the state system, It slowly coming out that he needs to show he can play dual positions, Now that is wrong for a talented player like him to be classed as a one trick pony. But guess what we went well in the nationals because that's the most important thing right.
I have seen state developed Juniors go back and play a forward's role as a Midfielder , Forwards that cannot play as defenders, and these guys are Just coming out of the junior system, They then cannot get a game so guess what they leave football. From State underage players to nothing in 3 years. And these days and it, not one or two that are leaving the game. retention rate is not improving.

We are not talking about trees, or PC greenies, We are talking about development kids to play Football, and you understanding of it highlights the problems the SANFL have, Like you, they are too quick to see complete opposite,

Do you understand the difference between developing Kids to play football and playing to win I believe you don't, watch the TAC system its a good example of developing kids, Play the match to win like you should you teach to win every game , but develop the kids to play football to enjoy their football,
We develop ruckmen to ruck and that's all, Inside mids play and train as only inside mids, Small Forwards are only small forwards etc. SANFL are so far behind in their development mentality, Why because they let the Clubs do the developing and those clubs pick the best players then attempt to improve them in only one position. And they call that development. Because it's more important to win at all cost than to spend time developing the kids, as it may cost you a win.
Here is a question that gets to the root of the problem, why was Jonty Schanerberg not developed to play as a medium forward or defender in the state system, It slowly coming out that he needs to show he can play dual positions, Now that is wrong for a talented player like him to be classed as a one trick pony. But guess what we went well in the nationals because that's the most important thing right.
I have seen state developed Juniors go back and play a forward's role as a Midfielder , Forwards that cannot play as defenders, and these guys are Just coming out of the junior system, They then cannot get a game so guess what they leave football. From State underage players to nothing in 3 years. And these days and it, not one or two that are leaving the game. retention rate is not improving.

What are the TAC developing kids for ???????

Is it the VFL developing those kids??????

Who is the TAC????? what is their objective??????

The SANFL is a competition so is the Amatuer league so is the southern football League and the Barrossa league as is the Hills league or the various country leagues, all with juniors and seniors

All these leagues have juniors that play to win premierships and take pride in doing so, the young adlts enjoy the competition and winning as we all do when we play any sport

But wait these leagues should worry about 10 or 15 kids making it onto a AFL list where only 5 or 6 succeed. go away

If the AFL want a TAC in SA or WA tell them to create one or make a team that can compete in Victoria, but remember if tehy are private school kids they can play 3 or 4 times a year the rest can be the public school system, go for it no one is stopping them!

What are the TAC developing kids for ???????

Is it the VFL developing those kids??????

Who is the TAC????? what is their objective??????

The SANFL is a competition so is the Amatuer league so is the southern football League and the Barrossa league as is the Hills league or the various country leagues, all with juniors and seniors

All these leagues have juniors that play to win premierships and take pride in doing so, the young adlts enjoy the competition and winning as we all do when we play any sport

But wait these leagues should worry about 10 or 15 kids making it onto a AFL list where only 5 or 6 succeed. go away

If the AFL want a TAC in SA or WA tell them to create one or make a team that can compete in Victoria, but remember if tehy are private school kids they can play 3 or 4 times a year the rest can be the public school system, go for it no one is stopping them!

You are too much anti-AFL in this, you are missing the most important part of the conversation. And the part you seem to miss is we are losing most of these kids to Football, shortly after they leave the state system. Why???
I don't really care who wants the credit, But Someone needs to develop the Juniors in the state system better. The SANFL are doing what they believe is best for their clubs, not what is best for the Kids, the State or Football. A separate elite junior system/comp will be developing the kids for football when these kids are finished they can them play for the SANFL clubs or move into the Ammos or Country leagues.
By the way, The TAC kids that don't make the AFL are playing VFL,Ammos or the Vic country leagues. they are keeping their kids and the skills these kids have learnt is improving the standard in other comps. Also, their kids are staying in the game longer so they must be doing something right

Again this is not an AFL vs SANFL , it about developing Kids to play the game and keeping them in the system.

You know that you are the one who is supporting the participation model dont you? Or at least you are opposing a model which is far less about participation than the current model. You are advocating a free handout with your "AFL should pay" nonsense, while also favouring putting what ever funds are available and spreading it so that every mediocre player can have a mediocre career.

If you truly want take a position that is opposite to tree hugging politically correct greenies, then putting all the money into elite academies an letting the rest fend for themselves is a perfect model for you.

You know that you are the one who is supporting the participation model dont you? Or at least you are opposing a model which is far less about participation than the current model. You are advocating a free handout with your "AFL should pay" nonsense, while also favouring putting what ever funds are available and spreading it so that every mediocre player can have a mediocre career.

If you truly want take a position that is opposite to tree hugging politically correct greenies, then putting all the money into elite academies an letting the rest fend for themselves is a perfect model for you.

No Im saying let the AFL develop players for THEIR league dont rely on others to do it for you!

I dont agree people play sport and enjoy it by just developing!

We here players complain that its not really a sport to them its a job and the enjoyment is gone.

By creating acadamies thats just highlighting its not really about fun but the way to get a highly paid job like doing an electrician appreentaship.

Unfortunatly the majority of kids what say 99.9 % dont go on to play AFL and are actually doing it for fun and the sport

Thiose that want to do it for a job may need to move to Victoria if that is where the trade school is to do it.

Remember Football is a sport first and foremost to thousands of players not just the few hundred in the AFL , FFS we have hundreds if not thousands more playing local amatuer league here in little old Adelaide than the AFL has.

No Im saying let the AFL develop players for THEIR league dont rely on others to do it for you!

I dont agree people play sport and enjoy it by just developing!

We here players complain that its not really a sport to them its a job and the enjoyment is gone.

By creating acadamies thats just highlighting its not really about fun but the way to get a highly paid job like doing an electrician appreentaship.

Unfortunatly the majority of kids what say 99.9 % dont go on to play AFL and are actually doing it for fun and the sport

Thiose that want to do it for a job may need to move to Victoria if that is where the trade school is to do it.

Remember Football is a sport first and foremost to thousands of players not just the few hundred in the AFL , FFS we have hundreds if not thousands more playing local amatuer league here in little old Adelaide than the AFL has.

First, who is they? If the AFL is theirs and not ours then why do you even watch their competition. You should just support a team in your competition (SANFL) and enjoy that. It shouldnt matter that the quality of the players are inferior, because they are "your" players that your competition developed.
I understand full well the history of the AFL is VFL, but now its a national competition where there are 18 clubs all of equal importance. I wont go into a debate on this because each to their own. I understand full well how big franchise competitions work and our model is very similar to American franchise sports such as the NBA and NFL. As far as I am concerned, AFC is an equal member in the AFL with 1/18 say in everything and of equal importance to every club from Collingwood to the Gold Coast.

I am not saying that we get rid of all local leagues and associations in the state. Far from it. We would need to draw the talented players from these teams at a young age and then bring them together in an academy. As for kids playing for fun, why would this affect that. We all played for fun and would do it all over again.

First, who is they? If the AFL is theirs and not ours then why do you even watch their competition. You should just support a team in your competition (SANFL) and enjoy that. It shouldnt matter that the quality of the players are inferior, because they are "your" players that your competition developed.
I understand full well the history of the AFL is VFL, but now its a national competition where there are 18 clubs all of equal importance. I wont go into a debate on this because each to their own. I understand full well how big franchise competitions work and our model is very similar to American franchise sports such as the NBA and NFL. As far as I am concerned, AFC is an equal member in the AFL with 1/18 say in everything and of equal importance to every club from Collingwood to the Gold Coast.

I am not saying that we get rid of all local leagues and associations in the state. Far from it. We would need to draw the talented players from these teams at a young age and then bring them together in an academy. As for kids playing for fun, why would this affect that. We all played for fun and would do it all over again.

I watch AFL, SANFL, Ammos and metro league TBH

Each league can look after its own development and running its own programme, players will move between leagues, I did.

Iff the AFL want a talent programme, go for it, Im sure the SANFL would do it if they copped the same investment that the AFL make towards the NEAFL or TAC. Im sure any league would do at the right price.

But if they are not prepared to offer them the coin to do it, then they can continnue to run how they like, its their perogative. You can make all the suggestions you like, but its not yours to make youre not even a member of their league or one of its clubs, so your view in their eyes is irrelevant.

Just a question

How would say Box Hill develop its talent say compared to South Adelaide?

The VFL administar the TAC,but who pays for it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a question

How would say Box Hill develop its talent say compared to South Adelaide?

The VFL administar the TAC,but who pays for it?

Yeah. I dont know. I played a season for a club in Kew and they seemed to have a close connection to Box Hill sort of like a feeder for them I guess. I thought box hill and hawthorn had a relationship so they probably get money through the Hawks.

Yeah. I dont know. I played a season for a club in Kew and they seemed to have a close connection to Box Hill sort of like a feeder for them I guess. I thought box hill and hawthorn had a relationship so they probably get money through the Hawks.

Basically the AFL have stepped in taken the responsibility of developing players away from the clubs and have a development league. If its good enough for the VFL to go that way and it seems to be working then the AFL can do it in all other ststaes if they want to put their money where their mouth is. To suggest other leagues to dio that is ridculous for the benefit of very very very small amount of kids when they have done that for the VFL so the VFL clubs can do what they want to do.

Basically the AFL have stepped in taken the responsibility of developing players away from the clubs and have a development league. If its good enough for the VFL to go that way and it seems to be working then the AFL can do it in all other ststaes if they want to put their money where their mouth is. To suggest other leagues to dio that is ridculous for the benefit of very very very small amount of kids when they have done that for the VFL so the VFL clubs can do what they want to do.

Marty the SANFL refuse the AFL money, due to the AFL wanting salary cap to equal amongst all 2 tier comps,

If the TAC is funded by
the AFZl they simply should do it for the whole of Australia isn't it a national comp?
You really are blinded by the AFL vs SANFL hate.
That you are missing the point, A good development regime not only teaches the kids to play football but it teaches them what is needed to be successful and to still enjoy the games.
Who cares who pays if it keeps the kids we are losing in the game, Those not good enough for AFL they play SANFL, but these days we are losing them,
Talk to your mates ask how many Kids are we losing from the under 18 every year, Also ask how many are lost to Football, Without going into too many details, we have 8 under 18 teams with 21 players each not counting the backups, at least 14 of these kids will 19 at their next birthday, that 112 kids moving, How many move into the AFL , How many into the SANFL, and how many into the Ammo's and Country leagues,
I beat the figure we lose to football is greater. The Kids are returning from the under 18 dishearted and in some ways broken, and are lost to football.

Our state base under 18 under the current systems is driving kids away from the game. Don't you think its time to fix it?

Now I gather your answer will be who Pays, well maybe the AFL should assist but the SANFL would have to give up something like control of the competition, which they will not do because recommendations have stated they need to have zoned comp encompassing the country areas in with the metro areas, Separated from the SANFL to allow better development
And yes they used the TAC comp as a guide. But that not good enough for the die-hards is it, Therefore the AFL will not put up money for a comp that not doing what best for ALL the kids.

Last edited:
You really are blinded by the AFL vs SANFL hate.
That you are missing the point, A good development regime not only teaches the kids to play football but it teaches them what is needed to be successful and to still enjoy the games.
Who cares who pays if it keeps the kids we are losing in the game, Those not good enough for AFL they play SANFL, but these days we are losing them,
Talk to your mates ask how many Kids are we losing from the under 18 every year, Also ask how many are lost to Football, Without going into too many details, we have 8 under 18 teams with 21 players each not counting the backups, at least 14 of these kids will 19 at their next birthday, that 112 kids moving, How many move into the AFL , How many into the SANFL, and how many into the Ammo's and Country leagues,
I beat the figure we lose to football is greater. The Kids are returning from the under 18 dishearted and in some ways broken, and are lost to football.

Our state base under 18 under the current systems is driving kids away from the game. Don't you think its time to fix it?

Now I gather your answer will be who Pays, well maybe the AFL should assist but the SANFL would have to give up something like control of the competition, which they will not do because recommendations have stated they need to have zoned comp encompassing the country areas in with the metro areas, Separated from the SANFL to allow better development
And yes they used the TAC comp as a guide. But that not good enough for the die-hards is it, Therefore the AFL will not put up money for a comp that not doing what best for ALL the kids.

Are you kidding the state u18 kids are far from being driven away from the game they all live for their dream of playing Afl

Where as those kids who are going to go onto play b grade at osullivans beach are dropping off the face of the earth

If you are going to spend more money on junior development, it's pretty damn obvious where it needs to be spent if you want participation rates up

But wait that's not the elite talent you are after

Only so much coin to spend where are you going to spend it

Or you could spend it on the current players, Dangerfield reckon the AFL are disrespecting the current players with their pay structure.

All this talk about better development for juniors in SA as a pathway to the elite levels consists of two important points.

1) there isnt a great league structure for youth development in SA by all accounts. Its fragmented and could be restructured to include something similar to the TAC. But it must be done with a view to developing the standard of the next wave of players in SA with a few being selected into the top tier.
2) this is the most important part in my mind, we are talking of development systems for very limited opportunities. Development leagues are fantastic when there are multiple avenues for success as an individual. For any 16 year old wanting to make a short term career out of footy there are 700 players in the top tier and only 80 drafted each year. Without the second tier developing differently into a professional second tier comp we are talking about a hell of a lot of investment for a handful of kids.

Want to keep people playing footy, develop a second tier comp national that offers more opportunity.

Are you kidding the state u18 kids are far from being driven away from the game they all live for their dream of playing Afl

Where as those kids who are going to go onto play b grade at osullivans beach are dropping off the face of the earth

If you are going to spend more money on junior development, it's pretty damn obvious where it needs to be spent if you want participation rates up

But wait that's not the elite talent you are after

Only so much coin to spend where are you going to spend it

Or you could spend it on the current players, Dangerfield reckon the AFL are disrespecting the current players with their pay structure.

Sorry Marty but the Under 18 are leaving Football, As mentioned the under 18 turnover 112 kids every year, how many of them are staying in the Game.
Again I am talking football as a whole not restricting to SANFL or AFL,
While the best of the best will go onto AFL and the best will play SANFL it others we are losing. As it stands now we even shortchanging the kids, because we are restricting their chances of making the AFL or SANFL due to bad development. which flows onto a skill loss in the SANFL.

Maybe if the SANFL reduce its Cap inline with the rest of the country and with the money they will then get from the AFL spend it on a better competition for the under 18 and under 16, that develop Kids to play football for the AFL, SANFL, Ammos and country leagues. instead of losing over half to football.

All this talk about better development for juniors in SA as a pathway to the elite levels consists of two important points.

1) there isnt a great league structure for youth development in SA by all accounts. Its fragmented and could be restructured to include something similar to the TAC. But it must be done with a view to developing the standard of the next wave of players in SA with a few being selected into the top tier.
2) this is the most important part in my mind, we are talking of development systems for very limited opportunities. Development leagues are fantastic when there are multiple avenues for success as an individual. For any 16 year old wanting to make a short term career out of footy there are 700 players in the top tier and only 80 drafted each year. Without the second tier developing differently into a professional second tier comp we are talking about a hell of a lot of investment for a handful of kids.

Want to keep people playing footy, develop a second tier comp national that offers more opportunity.

There is a different model to the TAC system as well, which is the NSW/ACT and Queensland academies. This allows to focus elite development for a very few in these academies.

edit: I should say different to the VIC model.

AFL_NSWACT_Talent_Pathway_2014.jpg

Back