Strategy Should we trade Dangerfield?

Should we trade Dangerfield?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol Charlie Cameron is far from untouchable for me. For all we know he could be the next Petrenko. A few years from now he could be having low possession games, maybe kicking a goal or two and doing one or two nice tackles/pressure acts but really not doing enough to warrant his spot in the team.
Could being the operative word. Alternatively, he could learn all that he can from Betts and become our spark. His run and chase and carry in R9 was seriously exciting. He isn't the sort of player that will rack up stats, he just does the small things that lift a team. Have to give him a chance to become that player.

From out point of view, Grundy + Broomhead would be quite untouchable. There are others.. I really do hope we get some kind of amicable agreement between our clubs.
and Dangerfield is not untouchable from our point of view?

If the club were to trade Danger, these players and the like have to be on the table.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Danger will sign through 2015. As long as we're having a decent year. If our coach sells a good message, and the whole team buys it, he'll feel that Adelaide is on the right track to have success.

I have no doubt at all that to Danger, success at Adelaide is more preferable than success at Geelong/Collingwood etc.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Danger will sign through 2015. As long as we're having a decent year. If our coach sells a good message, and the whole team buys it, he'll feel that Adelaide is on the right track to have success.

I have no doubt at all that to Danger, success at Adelaide is more preferable than success at Geelong/Collingwood etc.

I agree, he clearly loves the club and provided we get the coaching appointment right and show progress on field this year he will stay.

In the meantime, he is well within his rights to hold off on signing what will be the most important and lucrative contract of his career. Hell, even if he decides 100% that he wants to remain with the Crows he should probably let the club sweat a bit so that he gets paid his worth.

He will sign a 5 year $5m deal when we are sitting pretty in the top four in August =)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and Dangerfield is not untouchable from our point of view?

If the club were to trade Danger, these players and the like have to be on the table.

Yes, but like I said there are others. I actually see it being a trade for picks more likely then players. Maybe some Steak knives to boot i suppose. However I would happily give you Grundy were it my decision .

Saying we should trade our best player and one of the best in the entire AFL because he might leave in 12 months time is reason?
No one is saying we should trade him for the sake of the exercise, just that if the club thinks there is a good possibility he will leave then they need to do what they need to do to get the highest possible payment for him. If that means they trade him early to avoid loosing out next year then do it.
Simple question to you. Would you rather trade Danger now for something like pick 2 and 3 or pick 4 and Aish, or lose him to FA next year for pick 14 or so?

No one is saying we should trade him for the sake of the exercise, just that if the club thinks there is a good possibility he will leave then they need to do what they need to do to get the highest possible payment for him. If that means they trade him early to avoid loosing out next year then do it.
Simple question to you. Would you rather trade Danger now for something like pick 2 and 3 or pick 4 and Aish, or lose him to FA next year for pick 14 or so?

Bit of a silly question.

The better question is, how do you determine whether there is a "good possibility" that he's going to leave. Simply saying "sign now or we'll trade you" isn't a good method.

If the club fronts up and asks him he can say "I've said all along, I want to decide at the end of my contract." What is the response to that?

Bit of a silly question.

The better question is, how do you determine whether there is a "good possibility" that he's going to leave. Simply saying "sign now or we'll trade you" isn't a good method.

If the club fronts up and asks him he can say "I've said all along, I want to decide at the end of my contract." What is the response to that?

Logically 3 options:

1. Re-signs at end of 2015
2. Trade for a bounty
3. Leaves as a free agent for a draft pick between 7-13.

Honestly - nobody knows what the exact chance he is of staying, but I would wager the club would have a decent idea after discussing with his manager.

They need to do whatever it takes to avoid #3.

Back