News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Or have just had the gap between the boundary and the western stands a little wider for a few years.
Ï guess the uncertainty probably made them err on that.

So for example they decide they want to widen the ground eventually by setting each stand on the Latrobe side back 10m. Cool right... No dramas.

Except they wouldn't have known when government would approve the next stage of development. Could have been 10 years of the premiership stand 10m back from the rest. That's why I think the only way this could have feasibly been achieved with certainty was if the FFA won the (now proven to be corrupt) 2022 FIFA World Cup and the full redevelopment that'd have gone with that.

Bugger the road, bugger the business's and house's around, build the stand on top of them and make them go around. Its all about the Cattery.
Funnily enough, that is what a lot of large football clubs around the world do when they want/need to expand. Luckily they have the cash to buy up land like that and divert roads.

What? How old is it? Are we going to bring back a crane every 5 years?
Very delayed response... but yes mate likely.

If it was wrapped/completed using a self adhesive vinyl the life for that is 5-7 years... the footy club would likely get on the front foot and refresh it before then to avoid letting it get to the point of fail

Hey guys, I am going to be seeing my first game at Simonds in a few weeks against the Bulldogs.
Just wondering any suggestion in regards to best seating options? Best atmosphere etc.
Which end will our cheer squad be located?
Thanks gang
Nick

Hey guys, I am going to be seeing my first game at Simonds in a few weeks against the Bulldogs.
Just wondering any suggestion in regards to best seating options? Best atmosphere etc.
Which end will our cheer squad be located?
Thanks gang
Nick
Hi!
The cheer squad will be located in the Players Stand, which is undercover but pricey.

IaNUSot.png

Seats in the Premiership Stand (on the left) and the Reg Hickey Stand (on the right) are also expensive, but the Reg Hickey stand, being on the wing, has a good balance of being close to the action and providing a good view of the whole ground.

I usually sit in the Gary Ablett Terrace, which is pretty much the only part of the ground that isn't undercover. It's ten times cheaper, but you need to bring a poncho. From the Gary Ablett Terrace it's difficult to see play happening at the other end of the ground, but the atmosphere makes up for that. The roof over every other stand causes sound from around the ground to echo towards you, mixed with the sound the people around you are making.

That's not to say there's no atmosphere anywhere else - sitting in Level 1 of the Players Stand makes you feel right in the middle of the action atmosphere-wise. It really depends on what you're going for, how much you're willing to pay, and how wet you're willing to get.

... but the Reg Hickey stand, being on the wing, has a good balance of being close to the action and providing a good view of the whole ground.

Worth noting that the "new" Hickey stand as I call it (Players Stand being the location of the original one) you need to ensure you always bring your sunglasses, unless it's a night game of course. While we never get any warmth from the sun in the Players stand, we're always undercover and never have the sun in our eyes.

Hi!
The cheer squad will be located in the Players Stand, which is undercover but pricey.

IaNUSot.png

Seats in the Premiership Stand (on the left) and the Reg Hickey Stand (on the right) are also expensive, but the Reg Hickey stand, being on the wing, has a good balance of being close to the action and providing a good view of the whole ground.

I usually sit in the Gary Ablett Terrace, which is pretty much the only part of the ground that isn't undercover. It's ten times cheaper, but you need to bring a poncho. From the Gary Ablett Terrace it's difficult to see play happening at the other end of the ground, but the atmosphere makes up for that. The roof over every other stand causes sound from around the ground to echo towards you, mixed with the sound the people around you are making.

That's not to say there's no atmosphere anywhere else - sitting in Level 1 of the Players Stand makes you feel right in the middle of the action atmosphere-wise. It really depends on what you're going for, how much you're willing to pay, and how wet you're willing to get.

Thanks so much guys for all the information! Will book asap.

Cheers for all the info Hoops. Good to know and much appreciated.

All booked in to see Cats v Dogs. Players Level 1 lower, row N. Should be a good place to be.
Hope to see some of you guys there.
Take care

GO CATTERS

Last edited:
South Barwon (Vic) is marginal and Corangamite has just seen a swing against the incumbent to become even more marginal.

Cook and Carter may be able to push for Stage 5 funding in 2018 and 2020.

The more external to footy activities that KP can attract makes the stadium continued upgrades and support even more viable and likely.

Baby steps of course but the club benefits from each forward step.

Its important that while the home of the GFC, KP gets external rentals to increase its non footy utilisation.

Hope it happens.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more options there are are for use away from Footy the less whinging there will be from Rate payers

Or at the very least, the less genuine reasons for whining about the Stadium.

Does anyone know if the ford stand is going to be dozed, what an eye sore

Does anyone know if the ford stand is going to be dozed, what an eye sore
It will be eventually, but I don't think there's any dates or funding as yet
The Ford Stand and Gary Ablett Terrace will both be demolished as part of the ground's Stage 5 redevelopment. That will likely commence in 2019 or 2020.

The Ford Stand and Gary Ablett Terrace will both be demolished as part of the ground's Stage 5 redevelopment. That will likely commence in 2019 or 2020.
Awesome. That will really top it off. What capacity after stage 5?

Awesome. That will really top it off. What capacity after stage 5?
I think I read somewhere that it'll be 40,000 but I can't find a source.

When they say the Hickey Stand is going to be refurbished, I assume that will be more decorative than Mission: Increase Capacity?

I think I read somewhere that it'll be 40,000 but I can't find a source.

When they say the Hickey Stand is going to be refurbished, I assume that will be more decorative than Mission: Increase Capacity?
Yeah cosmetic. I guess stuff like refitting food stalls, toilets, etc etc

image.png
So is the stand around the current temporary coaches box going to be higher than ground level so they can have the benches in front of them and not block the spectators sitting behind view ?
If so very good move.

Not sure about heights but the benches are right on the wing (See photo)

At the game (uuuhhhhggg!) Friday night and the new stand is taking shape nicely. Didn't get a photo but perhaps someone out there has one they could share?
The temporary coaches/media stand is now, rather oddly, surrounded by the new stand's structural work. The shape of the lower level is looking good and sweeps nicely around the wing.
Can't wait to see it grow over the next few games. I think we are all going to really love how it looks and works when it is finished. Had my Sydney cousin (Cats fan, thankfully!) at the game and he is really impressed with the design of the completed stands. He is an architect and we got big ticks for form and function.

I watched the game from home in Melbourne, but definitely noticed some good progress on our plasma. Took some screenshots of the game while putting the goals video together for YouTube. I like how it's been gradually surrounding the temp media stand.

Simonds_Stadium_01.png

Simonds_Stadium_02.png

Simonds_Stadium_03.png

Simonds_Stadium_04.png

I watched the game from home in Melbourne, but definitely noticed some good progress on our plasma. Took some screenshots of the game while putting the goals video together for YouTube. I like how it's been gradually surrounding the temp media stand.

Simonds_Stadium_01.png

Simonds_Stadium_02.png

Simonds_Stadium_03.png

Simonds_Stadium_04.png

Ah so I might be wrong [it happens once in a blue moon] and the seats are at ground level.From the TV it looked too high to go much lower but that still shot in the last picture shows you the new stand being built right beside the Premiership Stand and it's the same level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back