Opinion Singapore or Bali

Should if Profitable - Singapore or another Asian Location host 3 DOGS Home Games

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

acker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2005
Riverina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Hawks have made headway taking games to Tasmania

Saints are testing New Zealand

I think Singapore or Bali which is where and a short 2-3 Hour Flight to many well paid ExPat Aussies in Asia work is an opportunity that an AFL Club will like.

The people who live in Melbourne can argue all they like about how like Hawthorn having 3 usually Low Attendance games upsets their membership - but we have one of the lowest attendance rates in the league !

We need a Circut Breaker !

We risk being in a small clutch of Melbourne based clubs constantly facing forced

MERGER
RELOCATION
OBSELETION

Unless we get ahead of the "J" Curb rather than doing just enough to survive

Yes - some Home Games may have to be sacrificed - but FFS! The Hawks did that and they have reaped the $ rewards we wished we had.

I'll post a poll I know that may be voted down - Should 3 Home DOGS Games a year be transferred to Singapore or Bali if it financial benefits the DOGS?

To jump ahead of the Question and Answers - this Poll is undertaken provided the following

1. Singapore or Bali has a Stadium suitable to host an AFL Match

2. A preliminary study proves a match there would develop a Financially and Promotonal situation advantageous to our Club

3. I am using Singapore or Bali as a Central Asian logistical point - if people who DISAGREE with concept that 3 Home Matches could be hosted in Singapore or Bali but AGREE with the concept another Asian location could also host Dogs Home Matches can also agree/disagree !

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Singapore is 8 hours from Melbourne/Sydney. That's a big flight. New Zealand is only 3-4 hours.

Temperatures in Singapore are always in the range 30-33C and humidity 70-100%.

For this to be viable for the Dogs, they would need 3 games in a row in Singapore, otherwise the travel becomes onerous or it needs to be two games over the bye period plus first game of the season.

Jakarta is closer, has more expats and has suitable stadia too.

A weeks holiday package would enable folks to catch two games if the 3 (home) games in a row format was selected.

Honestly, it won't get off the ground. More chance of rebranding us as a baseball team and playing in Japan/Korea. :)

Think closer to home. Ballarat, perhaps. It's icy up there, but on a technicality it's part of the greater west, there's already some support and you'll find people will travel to the games.

• Banned
Interesting idea. Singapore is 8 hours from Melbourne/Sydney. That's a big flight. New Zealand is only 3-4 hours.

Temperatures in Singapore are always in the range 30-33C and humidity 70-100%.

For this to be viable for the Dogs, they would need 3 games in a row in Singapore, otherwise the travel becomes onerous or it needs to be two games over the bye period plus first game of the season.

Jakarta is closer, has more expats and has suitable stadia too.

A weeks holiday package would enable folks to catch two games if the 3 (home) games in a row format was selected.

Honestly, it won't get off the ground. More chance of rebranding us as a baseball team and playing in Japan/Korea. :)

If we keep trying to sell ourselves as a Melbourne based club, we may be slowly removing the blood from a Corpse

Members can keep on viewing it - In the VFL

As a metaphor --- A bit like Lenin in his embalmed Russian Tomb !

You can put up a proposal but don't be offended if someone doesn't think it's a good idea.

We are a Melbourne based club, and we've got to market ourselves as such, having a whole side of the city all to ourselves as an elite sporting entity. A good administration, quality list management and the ensuing success and we won't have to have these discussions. We're getting there.

Whatever Champ

Always easier to dump on a proposal than put up a proposal - :cool:
It's entirely unfeasible. Singapore is too far away to ever get an acceptable crowd there. New Zealand and Tassie are just overseas, so not that hard for Melbourne based clubs to get to. Singapore is all the way on the other side of the country and then some, you'd get hardly any Dogs supporters from Melbourne going there. And as Nath said, we should be marketing ourselves as the Western Bulldogs, not the Western oh also we play in Singapore Bulldogs.

We have much bigger problems than to go into Singapore, which would be another 10 years away if it ever actually happens.

It's entirely unfeasible. Singapore is too far away to ever get an acceptable crowd there. New Zealand and Tassie are just overseas, so not that hard for Melbourne based clubs to get to. Singapore is all the way on the other side of the country and then some, you'd get hardly any Dogs supporters from Melbourne going there. And as Nath said, we should be marketing ourselves as the Western Bulldogs, not the Western oh also we play in Singapore Bulldogs.

We have much bigger problems than to go into Singapore, which would be another 10 years away if it ever actually happens.

Well vote NO - :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can put up a proposal but don't be offended if someone doesn't think it's a good idea.

We are a Melbourne based club, and we've got to market ourselves as such, having a whole side of the city all to ourselves as an elite sporting entity. A good administration, quality list management and the ensuing success and we won't have to have these discussions. We're getting there.

As I said to the last Geezer - Your welcome to vote NO :confused:

As I said to the last Geezer - Your welcome to vote NO :confused:
Geezer? Alright mate. You do realise this is a discussion forum where people discuss their opinions and then if you have a differing opinion you're supposed to actually discuss why? Instead of just completely shutting them down.

Obviously the fact that you neglected to do this shows that you have no points to back this proposal up. It would be financially unstable and unprofitable and would also gain, what, maybe 50 members maximum if that? In no way is that maximizing profits or even coming close to it.

It's too far away, and New Zealand and Australia have always sort of been together, we're always grouped together, so going to New Zealand makes sense. It's also very close to Melbourne, which is AFL's heartland.

Seeing how much you like a metaphor.

View attachment 64575

Great Graphic

As an Interstate Member I don't give a xxxx if a few Princesses precious about Home Games miss out - if they reckon their refusal to renew their Membership will dissolve the Club - considering our lack of success for 60 YEARS - THAT SHOULD BE PUT TO THE TEST ? :cool:

Geezer? Alright mate. You do realise this is a discussion forum where people discuss their opinions and then if you have a differing opinion you're supposed to actually discuss why? Instead of just completely shutting them down.

Obviously the fact that you neglected to do this shows that you have no points to back this proposal up. It would be financially unstable and unprofitable and would also gain, what, maybe 50 members maximum if that? In no way is that maximizing profits or even coming close to it.

It's too far away, and New Zealand and Australia have always sort of been together, we're always grouped together, so going to New Zealand makes sense. It's also very close to Melbourne, which is AFL's heartland.

I think I said if it had been deemed FINANCIALLY VIABLE - hope you voted NO as well as giving Lip Service

I think I said if it had been deemed FINANCIALLY VIABLE - hope you voted NO as well as giving Lip Service
That's just silly to me.

Would we play 5 home games in the US if it was financially viable? Hell yeah we would.

Some dude who started here in 2014 says all my posts are _____

Welcome to Universe - I'll let people vote - argue - slag off ( like Hrovat24 ) - I"ll walk away and let the thread take care of itself - One last thing

BALI should be included - :cool:
So now you add Bali because Singapore was a no ? Why don't you add every country towns or cities ?

Having never been to either country i wouldn't know if any of the local population would even be interested enough in the proposition to make it viable but my gut feel is that they wouldn't be. As for the expats, i would have thought most would already support a team.

Back