Discussion Sir Doug Nicholls Round 2024 (Rds 10 & 11): Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone, welcome to the Sir Doug Nicholls Round thread. After the discussion and guernsey drops took place in the New Jumpers thread as it fairly standard, I have moved everything across to its own individual thread ahead of the next fortnight's games being played.

The following links are from the AFL website; it allows you to check out all the club names, guernseys, Sherrin design, and listen along to some tunes while you do so. Enjoy.

I am shocked the Tigers went with the normal jumper, if all clubs cant wear the jumpers over the two weeks, then make it one week only.

Its become such an important two weeks, surely they could make a second jumper, or use last years design, or just wear the Dream time jumper two weeks in a row like the bombers did.
The reason it became 2 weeks was because the clubs wanted to wear their jumper in their home game, which Richmond will do next week. I assume they didn't want to wear it because it's specifically a Dreamtime jumper which does raises the question, why does the Dreamtime game need it's own AFL badge? No other match aside from the Grand Final gets that treatment.

Isn’t the back exactky like the PB jumper?

If so, keep it
Not exactly, the PBs have a white collar and cuffs as well, but that would look a bit shit on the home jumper and on most of the Indigenous jumpers we’ve had too. But I am in the camp of keeping it, was against it at first but have really grown to it over the years. It gives us a unique look from the back so I’m a really big fan.

The reason it became 2 weeks was because the clubs wanted to wear their jumper in their home game, which Richmond will do next week. I assume they didn't want to wear it because it's specifically a Dreamtime jumper which does raises the question, why does the Dreamtime game need it's own AFL badge? No other match aside from the Grand Final gets that treatment.

And clubs make two jumpers over these two weeks to avoid this happening.

Just shocked that Richmond couldn't do something so that some sought of Indigenous
jumper was used for both weeks.

Eagles uniform is an all timer for me. Shows how much better blue shorts would look with their clash too without creating much more of a clash.
1716246008731.png

1716246133467.png

No arguments here. I was a bit on the fence about the jumper at first but after seeing it under lights with the royal shorts, I'm in love.

They're playing the Bulldogs. No clash, so it won't happen. It'll be purely Red vs Blue.

No idea why you think white shorts would even need to be considered.

Not for clash reasons. I think it would just be kinda cool to see the somewhat complete home-inverse kit (albeit in the form of the SDN guernsey).

But yeah it’s highly unlikely, which is fully reasonable because there’ll be no clash whatsoever with red shorts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1995585

View attachment 1995588

No arguments here. I was a bit on the fence about the jumper at first but after seeing it under lights with the royal shorts, I'm in love.
I think white shorts have a purpose in the AFL, but as the AFLW has shown there are games they are alot better without them and this is a prime example.

West coast should always have royal shorts with clash
Brisbane should always have Maroon shorts with clash (Should also produce Royal shorts for some away games)
Geelong, North & Collingwood should have some games where neither team wears white shorts.

I think white shorts have a purpose in the AFL, but as the AFLW has shown there are games they are alot better without them and this is a prime example.

West coast should always have royal shorts with clash
Brisbane should always have Maroon shorts with clash (Should also produce Royal shorts for some away games)
Geelong, North & Collingwood should have some games where neither team wears white shorts.

I wasn't a fan of the jumper design, but Eagles gold does look great with blue shorts. Would love to see Eagles wear gold/blue in a home dig deep game each year.

But white shorts are needed when Eagles play Bulldogs, and maybe Brisbane.

Should full blue v Kangaroos, with them in white shorts, no matter where it's played - clash isn't needed.

I wasn't a fan of the jumper design, but Eagles gold does look great with blue shorts. Would love to see Eagles wear gold/blue in a home dig deep game each year.

But white shorts are needed when Eagles play Bulldogs, and maybe Brisbane.

Should full blue v Kangaroos, with them in white shorts, no matter where it's played - clash isn't needed.

I actually think white shorts in the bulldogs game makes it worse as Bulldogs have white in their jumper.

Ok so this week should be a little bit more straightforward. I think I only got a couple things wrong last week (predicted Melbourne in the clash rather than the home and didn't know Richmond wouldn't wear the Indigenous jumper) but hoping to go 18/18 this week. Let's get into it, links to prediction thumbnails here: 2024 and Heritage.
Western 1A.png v Sydney 3A.png
This one's just a given really, should look pretty nice.
Fremantle 2003 A.png v Collingwood 2B.png
Ditto for this matchup, this one will look really really good too.
North 1B.png v Port 1A.png
I know North are a bit more stubborn about wearing white shorts at home but we've seen clubs wear clash jumpers at home for Indigenous Round. Hopefully this is how it goes. Both sides could in theory wear home shorts but I don't really see that happening, happy to be proven wrong though.
Carlton 1A.png v Gold Coast 2A.png
Another obvious one. Worth noting that Gold Coast's image is a placeholder, they'll be wearing the Indigenous jumper with the circles but of their 2024 jumpers it looks more like this while the NT one looks like the home jumper. You guys know what I'm getting at though.
Geelong 2A.png v GWS 2B.png
Unless I missed one of these sides bringing out an alternate Indigenous jumper, I have a feeling the Giants will have to wear their clash jumper. Their home would work too but this would be the ultimate contrast.
Richmond 1A.png v Essendon 2B.png
Well there's no way Richmond aren't wearing their Indigenous jumper this week. Bit worried about the contrast given how dark Essendon's red will look but it shouldn't be too bad.
Hawthorn 2A.png v Brisbane 2B.png
Very much placeholder images but this will obviously be Hawthorn in their dark Indigenous jumper this week and Brisbane in their Fitzroy coloured version.
Melbourne 1A.png St Kilda 2B.png
Placeholder image again for the Saints but you get the gist. I know Melbourne didn't wear the clash version last week but I can't imagine them wearing it this week at home. As such it'll be a pretty easy matchup to predict.
Adelaide 1A.png v West Coast 2B.png
And finally this one will look nice, maybe the two best Indigenous jumpers this year and if not then they're certainly up with the best. West Coast won't look as good with white shorts as they did last week but I mean it shouldn't look bad by any means.

Can just about guarantee you North will be in blue shorts.
I'm not opposed to that, but I'd be a little bit peeved if Port are forced into white shorts as a result. Not for anything to do with not wanting to wear them, it just would look really unnecessary and worse for a clash.

I'm not opposed to that, but I'd be a little bit peeved if Port are forced into white shorts as a result. Not for anything to do with not wanting to wear them, it just would look really unnecessary and worse for a clash.
Funny you should mention it...

Attachments

• IMG_20240522_140617.jpg
    IMG_20240522_140617.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 58

Remove this Banner Ad

Back