horj89

All Australian
Feb 16, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
When was the last time that we played at Skilled Stadium?

This thought occured to me while Geelong were playing Melbourne today and I cannot recall the last time we played there.

The last time we played at Kardinia Park was way back in 1993 in round 21. It was our last game of the year as we had a bye in round 22. Geelong won by 26 points but it was the last quarter and a bit that they ran over us, mainly due to some injuries we got during the match. Still we ended the season on top and won the flag that year so who cares that we lost. That was the same year of that classic match in round 6 when Ablett kicked 14 and Salmon kicked 10

Last Game:
Round 21, 1993

Geelong 5.2 8.2 14.5 19.12.(126)
Essendon 2.1 10.6 12.8 14.10.(94)

Misiti, Salmon & Somerville each kicked 3. Mercuri with 31 possessions and a goal was our BOG.

For the Cats - Stoneham kicked 4, Ablett & Hocking each kicked 3. John Barnes got the 3 Brownlow votes.

A dissapointing last game at Kardinia Park, but no one knew at the time obviously it was going to be.

Last Victory:
Round 18, 1990

Geelong 5.4 5.5 12.8 14.8.(92)
Essendon 2.2 5.6 7.11 13.16.(94)

Nice last quarter comeback that afternoon in the wet. Ablett kicked 8. Madden and Werner 3 each for us.

They managed to somehow squeeze 32,000 or so supporters into the ground that day (1993). I remember taking nearly 20 mins to make the 100m journey through the outer just to get to the toilets!

yeah the crowd that day was the most electric eva at at a skilled stadium game, u couldnt move anywhere during the game it was so packed!

When was the last time that we played at Skilled Stadium?

This thought occured to me while Geelong were playing Melbourne today and I cannot recall the last time we played there.

Part of the contract when we moved to docklands was that all of our melbourne games are played either there or the 'G IIRC.

This of course due to the fact that skilled wouldnt hold enough spectators against the big melbourne clubs such as collingwood and essendon

Geelong would be mad to host us at Kardinia, though its abusive of the AFL to schedule us to Docklands when we could get 70,000+ to the G these days.

i was there in 1993 you could not move ...
i was on the moorabool st wing down near the fence...
before the game started this announcer kept telling everyone to squeeze up over the pa so you couldnt move...
there was no chance of going to the toilets ...i couldnt move to take my wet weather gear off ...

the shoot out at the mcg was a classic in 1993...
i was about 20 metres away from blight when alessio sank them with a goal and will never forget the look on malcolms face...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back